shape
carat
color
clarity

"What Made Maddy Run" - trigger warning, discussion of suicide

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently read the book What Made Maddy Run, and it has affected me quite deeply. I have known three people who died by suicide. Two of them I knew fairly well, and one I barely knew, but worked with.

For anyone who doesn't know, the book is about Madison Holleran, a 19-year-old UPenn track star who had no known history of mental illness but who quickly became overwhelmed with college and the demands of track and field. She attempted to give up track but was persuaded to stay, and soon after she took her own life by taking a running jump off the top of a parking garage in Philadelphia, not long after the start of her second semester in January 2014.

I understand someone having suicidal thoughts when they have depression and things are tough. It's much harder to understand how someone can summon the will to commit that final act of fatal violence against their own person. Madison posted a beautiful image of a square in Philly to Instagram less than two hours before she died, and she bumped into someone she knew and chatted with them moments before climbing to the top of the parking garage. It really defies comprehension.

Apparently there is something called cognitive constriction, where the person just doesn't see any way out, and suicide seems like the only escape.

Here's her Instagram, that her family left up. See the image of the square. In fact, the first three images, the ones across the top, were all taken in the days or hours before she died. And she looks so happy! Just incredible. What a lesson in how social media can differ from reality.

In two of the people I knew who died by suicide, their lives were improving. One of them had found the love of her life (according to her). The other had recovered from a nervous breakdown, had visited her brother in Australia for an extended period and had come home to a great new job offer.

None of the good things seemed to make a difference at the moment when they took their own lives.

I wish I could understand.

Maddy's tale, especially, is a very cautionary tale about how easily anyone can be overwhelmed by - and die from - mental illness. Thinking about her story made me realize how important it is to look after our mental health at the first signs of distress, so that hopefully we never get to the point that Maddy did. And to be kind to ourselves.

Here's a moving trailer for "What Made Maddy Run."

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
J, I have stood on the edge of that roof many times.

I am not sure that we can ever really know what is happening in a person, whether they are on the verge, or just orbiting - people vary both in how they present their experiences to themselves, and how they present their thoughts back out.

While I know that there is an unjustifiable failure in our culture to understand, and address mental illness, I am reluctant to say that all such "Maddy" actions can be so described. Obviously though I cannot know what the departed think, or were thinking, I do wonder if their thoughts about their thoughts would be better described (at least by them as they were having them) as mental clarity, rather than illness. I acknowledge that this possible interpretation will be disquieting to some.
Having come to what me seem to them an enlightened decision, presenting a normal face to a casual social situation might be nothing more than that. The presumption that there must be a discernable crisis might itself be missing the point altogether.

I have had a few dear friends who left this way. Each of them came from different experiences, different environments, and times. To me, none of them made the right choices. The Hells I lived thorough weren't theirs, and their Hells suffered weren't mine. I miss them, and wish they were here to talk about their experiences, but I like to think that in the excercise of their choice they found the unperturbdness that was so wanting in their experience.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Madison posted a beautiful image of a square in Philly to Instagram less than two hours before she died, and she bumped into someone she knew and chatted with them moments before climbing to the top of the parking garage. It really defies comprehension.
Haven't read the book and am not going to read the book.
It is very common for people to be very cheerful sometimes hours even sometimes days before.
They have given up so there is nothing holding them down its over because they know its going to be over.
Then it is over.

A huge red flag if someone who is very down then out of nowhere and for no apparent reason goes very happy even giddy. There is a huge chance they have decided.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
J, I have stood on the edge of that roof many times.

I am not sure that we can ever really know what is happening in a person, whether they are on the verge, or just orbiting - people vary both in how they present their experiences to themselves, and how they present their thoughts back out.

While I know that there is an unjustifiable failure in our culture to understand, and address mental illness, I am reluctant to say that all such "Maddy" actions can be so described. Obviously though I cannot know what the departed think, or were thinking, I do wonder if their thoughts about their thoughts would be better described (at least by them as they were having them) as mental clarity, rather than illness. I acknowledge that this possible interpretation will be disquieting to some.
Having come to what me seem to them an enlightened decision, presenting a normal face to a casual social situation might be nothing more than that. The presumption that there must be a discernable crisis might itself be missing the point altogether.

I have had a few dear friends who left this way. Each of them came from different experiences, different environments, and times. To me, none of them made the right choices. The Hells I lived thorough weren't theirs, and their Hells suffered weren't mine. I miss them, and wish they were here to talk about their experiences, but I like to think that in the excercise of their choice they found the unperturbdness that was so wanting in their experience.

The only time I've glimpsed thru the window.
Thank you for a brief moment of understanding.
*A survivor*

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@VapidLapid Thank you for that moving post and for sharing your experiences.

@Karl_K Agree - sudden happiness after depression can be a warning sign.

@Begonia - thank you for sharing.

I’ve lost people in my life to suicide, and in many cases I have seen the person in question is able to conceal depression very effectively indeed. Growing up, mental health was stigmatised heavily and people did not want to acknowledge or admit that they were struggling. They would often go to great lengths to “cover it up” until they could not do so anymore and would then take “the only way out”.

This is mostly just a PSA to say that if you’re struggling with these thoughts, you’re not alone, you’re not wrong, you’re not broken and you’re not an attention seeker. And it can get better.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Someone very dear to me shared that as a teen, she sat on the edge of bridge railing, and was dreamily musing about "just letting everything go", and falling into the river. She didn't swim well at the time, and the river was in a roaring spring run-off, so she would have drowned. Suddenly she heard the high school buzzer sounding the end of lunch. She said she "snapped out of it", and went back to classes.

That event later really shocked her, as it sank in how very close (a hair's breadth) she had been to ending her life. She has never considered it, since, and shared that she wasn't totally clear why she'd wanted to jump that day. I never, ever would have thought she was suicidal, from knowing her at the time.

I have known many people that ended their lives early—various ages, and walks of life. From the outside looking in, most seemed to be "okay"...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondringlover There is an app that can help in your worst moments. Apparently, there's something called cognitive constriction where someone gets a kind of tunnel vision and thinks that suicide is the best way forward, and can't think of anything else. The app is designed to help bring people out of that state.

"The Better Stop Suicide app is a safety plan you can carry in your pocket and access any time suicidal thoughts arise. It is designed to halt cognitive constriction and distract with reminders and activities allowing for a more rational thought process. You are encouraged to record a message to yourself to help bring you out of dark moments. It provides emergency contact numbers for help and support, tasks and checklists designed to make you feel better and restore clarity of thought."

Here is info. from the company:

I hope you are OK! Just know that when you are on that figurative roof, your mind is playing tricks on you. You won't always feel the way you do in that moment. It will pass. That's what the app tries to help with. I'm sorry you live with these challenges. Big hugs to you!

victoriangurl96

Rough_Rock
I am at that roof.....its overwhelming at times....so far are I am able to cope....

Gentle hugs for you, @diamondringlover and everyone else struggling. PLEASE reach out for help! Below are more resources and phone numbers, both in the U.S. and worldwide:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have suffered from suicidal ideation for as long as i can remember. It is sort of like a fantasy of escape from all of the pain.
I have attempted twice. Once, when i was 11 or 12, i did it because i thought i hurt my mom’s feelings beyond repair. The second time was after my rape. Once i decided to do it, i felt this wash of peace come over me because i had found a solution to the pain. It was a dangerous attempt. I took all of the pills in the house, including a deadly amount of Vicodin. I remember a floating feeling, but then fear set in because my seven year old brother would find me like that. A newspaper boy knocked on the door. I answered and told him we couldn’t pay the bill. Getting up made me vomit. I vomited white paste for hours. I’ll never forget that taste. I was relieved that i survived.

The last time i got close was a few years ago. I felt like a burden to my family. I felt like i was ruining both of their lives because i was such a mess. I felt they would be better off without me. I hoarded pills and had a plan to get lost in the woods and take them. Something clicked...the old familiar peace and how dangerous it was. I told my husband and he disposed of the pills.

I was a closed book about my two attempts. No one would have known they were coming. They weren’t cries for help. They were deadly serious. I feel that people who are truly serious about taking their lives will feel the way i did.

I have talked a lot about my suicidal ideation to therapists and my husband. I feel that if I keep talking about it, it keeps me from going in to silent mode where i am most dangerous.

My stepdad killed himself. We didn’t have a clue that he was at that point

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using this as an example: I don’t have any other things to demonstrate behavior

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
My step-dad committed suicide in September. The people on this board helped me tremendously, though they may not know it. We knew he was in pain but none of us thought it would come to that. My mom said later that he had said before that he didn't want to become an invalid and that if his body failed him, he would take his life. She never told us that before. The impact of his death is felt every second of every day. I have my own struggles with mental health. Life can be hard even with amazingly wonderful things around us. I met the love of my life after two crappy marriages and our life together is beautiful! Yet, we have been through the wringer with failed IVF, struggles with step-children, loss, moving, you name it. Add to that, as a teacher in the pandemic the loneliness I feel sitting at home all day behind a screen can be suffocating and bring me to a dark dark place. Outside looking in, most people have no idea. I am fortunate that I have medication, tools and help from my family to keep me grounded and safe. I know that there are many many more out there who struggle far worse than I do. I don't have the answers, just wanted to share. Thank you for the space to do so here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results