shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of stone could this be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
My fiance found a stone in his jeep tire a few years ago. It was what appeared to be a diamond that was in a setting that had been crushed. It "appears" to be a diamond. However, I strongly doubt that it is. I've never taken it to anyone. It has a great cut to it. I'm guessing its fake. It does cut glass. I'm not sure how many stones do this. As I said though it looks like a diamond, but I'm guessing its a knock-off of some kind. If it were real it looks like it would be about 1.5 or 2 carats and it's just a loose stone right now. My question is... are there any other things that I can do to determine if it is a diamond? Also, if it is fake is there any way I can determine exactly what it is.. such as moissanite, cubic zirconia, or glass? Thanks for your input.

Http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected] Sorry for the link, but I've yet to learn how to upload photos.

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
I''ve now shared my pictures. Sorry for the trouble.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2004 9:523 PM
Author:andreadawn
if it is fake is there any way I can determine exactly what it is.. such as moissanite, cubic zirconia, or glass? Thanks for your input.
This was one lucky bit to survive the stampede and get embedded in the tire. I would keep i as a charm !

GID.JPG

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Since the stone is loose, an easy way to tell if it''s diamond or CZ is the following.

Place a small dot on a white piece of paper. Then place the stone over the dot, upside down (table down).

If you can see the dot, through the stone, then the stone is "NOT" a diamond.

If you can "not" see the dot, through the stone, then take it to an appraiser and have it appraised.

Joker....

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. It was greatly appreciated.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well? Did it pass the "dot" test? Don''t keep us in suspense!

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
Sorry! I thought I posted in the wrong forum so I''ve been responding to the one under "RockyTalky" I''ve been getting great response and I''m very thankful for the feedback. I did infact try the "dot" test, as well as the newspaper test to see if I can read it through a newspaper. Looking at it from some angles I could see a little bit of black (the color of the dot) but I couldnt see it clearly also, I was unable to read the print. I''m not holding much hope for it being real but in a few minutes I''ll put it under a blacklight and see which color it glows. Not that I would know anything from that :)

andreadawn

Rough_Rock
The results are in: I did the blacklight test. I took the stone in question and I compared it with 2 other rings that I had.... the results were WEIRD.
First of all- I'd like to say.. I now understand why no one buys from the mall and even though I bought these rings when I wasnt educated on stones, diamonds, etc..this still struck me as strange.

As I was saying I took 2 rings that were all supposed to have diamonds in them

On my horeshoe ring: the diamonds didnt really glow except for one that glowed white
On the second ring: It was a diamond cluster ring that I bought from Friedmans... half of the cluster glowed this purplish bluish color... one of the diamonds glowed ORANGE

To get on with my story here the stone in question glowed a very very light bluish purplish color. So... do I have a fake on my hands?

*edited to add: I had forgotten about a larger CZ that I had. I took both of them side by side and put them under the black light and the CZ did glow a bluish purplish color but the other stone was almost the same color just much brighter it seemed like a lot more light was flowing through.. so maybe I just have a really great cut CZ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results