shape
carat
color
clarity

What Kind of Pearls Are These ?

ConnieinSeattle

Rough_Rock
I got a "grab bag" of vintage pearls and this bracelet is one item. It meets the "gritty teeth test." I checked google but I'm not sure about these. What are the round etching marks? Are they "real" pearls, and if so, what kind do they look like? They are HUGE. :) I researched the crystal beads and they sell online for $13 each. Thank you for any expertise from the hive mind.

Attachments

• pearl Bracelet2.jpg
    pearl Bracelet2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Pearl Bracelet3.jpg
    Pearl Bracelet3.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 9
  • Pearl Bracelet.jpg
    Pearl Bracelet.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 9

ConnieinSeattle

Rough_Rock
I have several super pretty well matched necklaces, but I am currently drawn to the more strange shapes/colors. Here is another necklace. I didn't want to "monkey" with the color, these look green to me. Green Pearls.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why you will wear the coin pearl necklace a lot- it will go beautifully with casual or dressy clothes.

The three strands you first posted are all freshwater (FW) pearls and they are all dyed. The dye is permanent and usually doesn't change much over the years. The shapes of the bracelet (love those crystal accent beads) and first necklace are called baroque or nugget shaped. The last strand has a mix of coin pearls and rice shaped pearls that have been drilled sideways.

The pink/peach strand is also freshwater, off round and the pearls are commonly called "potato" shape. The color looks natural to me from the picture.

We have a thread to show what pearls you are wearing on any given day. Looking forward to seeing your strands as you wear them. =)2

ConnieinSeattle

Rough_Rock
I can see why you will wear the coin pearl necklace a lot- it will go beautifully with casual or dressy clothes.

The three strands you first posted are all freshwater (FW) pearls and they are all dyed. The dye is permanent and usually doesn't change much over the years. The shapes of the bracelet (love those crystal accent beads) and first necklace are called baroque or nugget shaped. The last strand has a mix of coin pearls and rice shaped pearls that have been drilled sideways.

The pink/peach strand is also freshwater, off round and the pearls are commonly called "potato" shape. The color looks natural to me from the picture.

We have a thread to show what pearls you are wearing on any given day. Looking forward to seeing your strands as you wear them. =)2

Thank you for the reply!! :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yep, they look like all freshwater pearls to me too, mostly dyed. They are inexpensive but fun.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In order
the bracelet with beads and the first necklace have very early bead nucleated experimental pearls. These suddenly appeared in the market and were the first attempts at bead nucleation in freshwater pearls. Usually dyed very bright colours. You can sometimes even see the bead through nacre. They were cheap and flooded the market but disappeared almost as quickly as farming techniques rapidly improved.
You are correct, coin pearls. grown by bead nucleation. The other pearls are simply tissue nucleated ovals, drilled across not lengthways. Both types dyed
Peach/pink off round. early FW pearls of reasonable quality. Clasp may or may not be telling the truth
White pearls are fw buttons (also called fastener pearls) low value. But the pearls are well matched. Clasp is unusual.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look so much fun
(I think everyone needs lots of fun pearls)
I hope you enjoy weaeing them and we look forward to you posting the pictures
Enjoy

ConnieinSeattle

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the comments and information!! x o I got a bargain on all, so I'm happy. They were all previously owned and donated, and it was a charity auction online. The peach pearls I won at $70. I also got a grab bag of 11 pearl necklaces (some double length, some triple strand) and 2 pearl bracelets for another $70. :) I didn't figure any of them were super valuable. But, yes, FUN.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the comments and information!! x o I got a bargain on all, so I'm happy. They were all previously owned and donated, and it was a charity auction online. The peach pearls I won at $70. I also got a grab bag of 11 pearl necklaces (some double length, some triple strand) and 2 pearl bracelets for another $70. :) I didn't figure any of them were super valuable. But, yes, FUN.

We need to do lunch !
Pearls love a day out =)2

I think you got value for money plus it went to charity
They would have cost much more here in NZ
i just bought a fairly medioca fresh water strand with not great luster including dyed pearls 17 inches for NZ $220 (US $158) from a bricks and mortar jewler in my small provincial city

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results