shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of jewelry do you prefer?

Area57

Rough_Rock
Where do you guys get you jewelry? Do you prefer no name, big name, or small name. Those are really the only choices right?

No name being the made in China stuff you would get at a mall jeweler. It doesn't have a brand, it may be just a gold and diamond anniversary ring and it has a pretty consistent price and quality, in fact, I'm sure they are the same rings, at many of the different stores.

Big name, like Tiffany, Cartier, Bvlgari, etc. I think you are paying a premium for the name.

Small jewelers. Not local, but the kind you would find at trendy jewelry stores. These seem to have a premium for the name too. But they also seem to use lesser quality stones.

I think I left out local artisans. Maybe they only sell in your town, or on etsy. I'm new, I'm learning.

Q

Queenie60

I purchase most of mine via online jewelers. Usually purchase stones and then have a pendant, ring, earrings or something made that I have had in mind. Find this to be the most cost effective way to purchase and get more bang for my buck.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones I have purchased myself out of my own pocket or from money given to me in the past 11 years, were all custom pieces, except for a pair of diamond earring jackets, a diamond bracelet, and simple pearl studs.

All the rings were custom-made to my designs, based on inspirations I gathered from trawling the internet and window-shopping at jewellery stores.

Not one to pay stupid money for a brand name, in jewellery or otherwise, with only one or two exceptions (e.g. pens, however, I do not "collect" pens, and I have a thing for Kipling bags and accessories, however, they are not expensive when compared with other luxury brands when a handbag can cost as much as a brand new car!).

DK :))

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer rings. Most of the time I purchase the stone and setting separately, I've had one complete ring from one place I'd consider medium quality small-ish jeweler (not a chain), second ring was stone separately then had a modified version of a ring made for it, third ring bought the stone, sat on what to do with it for ages, ended up with a custom made setting for it, fourth ring the stone is purchased and I'll be going with a setting from a high quality small jeweler.

I don't feel the desire for "Big Name" brands, the quality vs. cost ratio doesn't make sense to me. I also really don't want pieces from most chain stores, because of the ridiculous prices on sub-par quality stones and settings. Middle ground is my happy place for quality vs. price. :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear mostly vintage and pre-loved, including some vintage "big name" (by your definition) found on ebay. My pre-loved comes from all over, including resale and consignment sites popular on PS (diamondbistro.com, loupetroop.com, jewels by grace, love affair diamonds). I also have a nice collection of vintage Mexican Silver from local antique shops and ebay. I quite a few unset colored stones going back to my pre-PS days; several years ago I had two of them custom-set by Julia Kay Taylor, who was popular here on PS at the time, and a few were set by a local jeweler. I've also new diamond pieces from trusted local jewelers and PS sponsors. And... there are one or two "big name, stupid money" pieces that I'd love to have, and might just break down and buy one of these days. ;))

I think PS has helped me hone in on my own tasted as well as helping me become a more informed and discriminating buyer...

Enjoy building your collection!

Area57

Rough_Rock
Thanks. If online offers that good of prices I would be open to buying. I will have to look through the list of trusted and known sellers on here.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang around some of the higher traffic forums -- show me the bling, hangout, and even rocky tally, to see what others are buying and working on. Also be sure to check out the "pre-loved" forum in the PS Cafe. Many PSers will put up a notice there if they decide to sell piece.

katerinashah

Rough_Rock
Mostly I prefer to buy online. Because it is one of the easy way. I love simple jewelry which will suit on me on the daily basis . Like pendant, earring, bracelets.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never bought jewelry on line. I have to see it and touch it to make the bond to buy it. Never have bought in a mall or B&M store. Important jewelry was hand picked-stones and settings custom. Nothing trendy-just classic. Silver pieces were bought abroad as the workmanship and design reflected the country of origin. I own no brand names but my new crush is on the VC&A Alahambra line. Cheap watches as I am rough on them.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to think about this question.

The last...three pieces of jewelry I have bought were on line. Two from PS jewelers: one "higher" but not the most high end, the next an esty vendor and the third from a TV vendor. I'm very happy with all, considering the price and items purchased.

Before that, it was a local jeweler, not a chain. He was wonderful, as was the ring set I bought.

Oh, and I was the lucky winner from Leibish last May. THAT was a highlight, and I truly hope to give them some business in the next year or so.

So, I like both!

Area57

Rough_Rock
What did you win? Sweet!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually buy my jewelry from my favorite estate jewelry place in NJ or from a few favorite ebay estate jewelry sellers online.
I rarely buy modern/new bling anymore and prefer vintage pieces. I am an earring girl and those are the main items I have been purchasing in the past few years.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question. I've bought jewelry all manner of ways.

I have some big-brand items - Cartier, Faberge, Tiffany, Birks in Canada - but not any of the crazy-priced items. You might argue that they're all crazy prices, but actually in Tiffany for example there is a huge price variation across their different collections. I also bought quite a few items before the price rises of the last few years.

Then, I shop at local independent jewelers in my nearby town. There are three stores that I'm fond of, all family-owned, ranging from high-end to a humble little rock-and-mineral store where most of the stuff is minerals set in silver. I've had some vintage pieces from the high-end store.

Then there's generic online jewelers such as Blue Nile which has some wonderful sales and offers, and niche online jewelers like Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and Pearl Paradise.

Then, I follow the royal jewels thread and I found two niche jewelers based in London and used by the royal women, and I ended up buying quite a few items from these very tony London stores. One is Kiki McDonough who does very overpriced colorful semi-precious gemstone jewels (I got my stuff with the tax off and in sales) and the other is an African silver sculptor named Patrick Mavros who makes jewelry out of miniature sculptures, and is based in Africa, but sells through London. All the silver is Zimbabwean, and the pieces are exquisite. No wonder Prince William's wife likes their things.

So that's a pretty eclectic selection, really. I have a lot that I haven't got round to posting.

There are also many places/ways I stay away from. I don't do Etsy or Ebay - they've never appealed to me - and for some reason I've never seen anything on the Preloved section here that I want. Despite hours of looking I've never been very attracted to the stock of any of the online vintage vendors like Betteridge or New York Estate Jewelry. Same for Diamonds by Lauren or Jewels by Erica Grace or Love Affair Diamonds, or Good Old Gold. Not that there is anything wrong with these vendors, but I've never found a mix of price and design to add up for me with any of those companies, yet. I've also been to the Diamond District in NY at least three times and it did nothing for me, including IDJ. I also stay away from Van Cleef as I think their prices are crazy. I also don't really buy the jewelry designers stocked in places like Neiman's or Saks. The prices are hiked up high because it's designer, but the trouble is that mostly I've never heard of the designer in my life, so to me, the price premium is pointless.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like colored gemstones, so I tend to buy specific stones, then take forever to set the in custom settings.

For general gold/diamond jewelry, it depends. If I am looking for something very basic, I am open to BlueNile, Brian Gavin, etc. In general, you get what you pay for. For pearls, I like Pearl Paradise.

For special gold items, where I am looking for a particular design, I look at signed pieces from Tiffany's etc. I think some of the designs from the big houses have stood the test of time.

That said, I spend most of my time acquiring colored stones. I wear very little jewelry.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My mother just bought these for my DD whom is 11 and I have a modelig pic of me wearing them:
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/fashion/leverback-huggies-14k-white-gold-5413w14
http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/does-anyone-have-these-bg-earrings-933173.html

My mother now needs a gift for my other DD whom is 7. I. Am thinking DBTY bracelet. I offered to put in the difference since she is willing to pay $450.

My 11 year old has CBTY from Tiffany Nd loves it but I would rather have something in gold as compRed to their price for silver.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
missy|1449140497|3956836 said:
I usually buy my jewelry from my favorite estate jewelry place in NJ or from a few favorite ebay estate jewelry sellers online.
I rarely buy modern/new bling anymore and prefer vintage pieces. I am an earring girl and those are the main items I have been purchasing in the past few years.

Do you mind sharing the name of the estate place in NJ?

allister

Rough_Rock
I prefer you online shopping because it is a great way to find out our desire things. The Internet provides us lot of places from where we can shop the highest quality of things. If you discuss about the kind of jewelry, then gold plated or rolled gold jewelry is best option, if you don't afford to buy heavy priced jewelry... :angel:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my jewelry is from a local artisan that designs and makes her own jewelry. I have also bought some pieces online.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer pieces that are a little different..and because big bling is out of my budget, I lean towards smaller pieces with different designs or unique color/color combinations. Probably explains my recent fascination with colored stones. I don't have a go-to style..I like variety and mixing it up daily based on my outfit, event or mood. I am not very creative but like to push my boundaries into trying different styles all the time.

For that reason, I prefer to buy from small independents vendors -- owned/worked by folks who take the time to understand what works for me and help to find things that I wouldn't normally pick out but end up loving. I love some of the great buys I've found on-line but will also pay a bit more when I find a small vendor who provides a service/product not found in traditional stores. Nothing excites me more than working with a seller in person and finding something I didn't know I wanted but then can't resist buying.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Staceyjan|1455481822|3991093 said:
missy|1449140497|3956836 said:

Do you mind sharing the name of the estate place in NJ?

Just seeing this sorry! It's Park Place Antique Jewelry. Enjoy!

Luriya

Rough_Rock
I just like something that is comfortable to wear, and also something that doesn't stick out too much on weekdays. Sometimes big name brands, sometimes small name brands, all depends how it looks and feels and if its comfortable to wear day to day

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results