shape
carat
color
clarity

what keeps your motivated...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
to exercise when there are no outward signs of improvement?

about two months ago, i decided to get off my lazy bum and start working out, i have been working out five days a week since (mostly intense cardio for about an hour or so)

i never intended on losing weight, i just wanted to get fit, i''ve always been relatively thin, so my weight is pretty much the same, my clothes fit the same and when i look in the mirror, my body looks the same

i just wonder why keeps people going...
33.gif

jeg80

Rough_Rock
Hi
35.gif

While cardio is a great start, in order to change your body composition (fat vs. muscle) you need to be eating well (80% of the equation) and resistance training with weights. You are already a step ahead in that you don't need to worry about a number on the scale. I think for you lifting weights will make a big diiference.
This is how I explain it to people I help currently and/or have trained in the past...cardio will make you a smaller version of your exact self (so if you have a lot of "jiggle" or body fat you may get smaller but still be "jiggley" ie- "skinny fay"). Weights on the other hand are what you use to change the actual shape of your body (body composition) and get a "tighter" and more lean shape.
Some women are afraid of weights and think that they will get "huge" from lifting heavy. This cannot happen unless you are eating in a caloric surplus (way too much for what your body needs daily) or you are supplementing with testosterone
23.gif

I hope this helps and if you want any more info, just let me know!!!

ETA- just realized I didn't actually answer your motivation question but I hope what I did say will help you see results, thus inturn motivating you to keep going
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 8:42:17 AM
Author: jeg80
Hi
35.gif

While cardio is a great start, in order to change your body composition (fat vs. muscle) you need to be eating well (80% of the equation) and resistance training with weights. You are already a step ahead in that you don''t need to worry about a number on the scale. I think for you lifting weights will make a big diiference.
This is how I explain it to people I help currently and/or have trained in the past...cardio will make you a smaller version of your exact self (so if you have a lot of ''jiggle'' or body fat you may get smaller but still be ''jiggley'' ie- ''skinny fay''). Weights on the other hand are what you use to change the actual shape of your body (body composition) and get a ''tighter'' and more lean shape.
Some women are afraid of weights and think that they will get ''huge'' from lifting heavy. This cannot happen unless you are eating in a caloric surplus (way too much for what your body needs daily) or you are supplementing with testosterone
23.gif

I hope this helps and if you want any more info, just let me know!!!

ETA- just realized I didn''t actually answer your motivation question but I hope what I did say will help you see results, thus inturn motivating you to keep going
1.gif
What a great post, thank you!!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, definitely do some weight training. There are a lot of great classes out there, if you''re looking for some tips.

Also, when I was a trainer I used to tell clients that if they can do something for an hour, it probably isn''t as intense as it should be.

Good luck!

jeg80

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliment Lorelei
1.gif

A lot of women (at least that I have come into contact with personally) assume that weight lifting is more geared towards men (and getting "big") and have no idea what kind of wonderful body transformations can take place when done properly and in combination with proper nutrition!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Jeg - you seems to be very knowledgeable! Thanks for the great post!

For me, what keeps me motivated - I have an amazing dress that''s way too small - I look at this dress everyday as it''s front and center in my closet and I make myself believe I will fit in it again! How could CLOTHES not motivated you! ha!

I''m currently doing lots of cardio - and am trying to get in strength training with weights and machines....is it better to do strength training AFTER doing cardio, or does it not matter? I''ve heard that if you do weights right after cardio, you burn more calories and work your muscles better since they are already warmed up. Is there any truth to that?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I forgot to mention - My husband and I are both intensely trying to lose weight and get in shape! Just the other night, DH and I were talking and I told him the goal weight that I have in mind - he then told me that when I reach that goal weight, he''ll buy me the WF bezel diamond studs that I''ve been drooling over forever as a reward! ha!

Now, dresses AND diamonds! Motivation enough for me!

jeg80

Rough_Rock
Hi Cleopatra-
Thanks for the compliment
1.gif

As for timing of weights and cardio it is best if you can do them on seperate days altogether. Cardio is an aerobic activity and weights are an anaerobic activity so its best not to combine the two elements in one session. If that is not feasible then definitely do the weights AFTER the (light) cardio. Weight lifting depletes your glycogen stores (food/carbs/etc.) completely. This means that if you were to do cardio after weights you would be burning muscle (next easiest thing for the body to draw upon for energy to complete the cardio) since no glycogen stores are left for your body to draw upon.
Hope that wasn''t too confusing
26.gif

Bottom line:
Best: seperate weights and cardio entirely (meaning 8-24 hours)
Runner-up: do weights after light cardio

Hope this helps you!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
wow, thank you so much for your insight on all this, i haven''t really known what to do with weights so that''s why i''ve avoided them, not so much that i think it''s a manly man thing to do
3.gif
are there any classes you would recommend for this or is this really a just me at the gym lifting weights type of scenario?

thank you again!
1.gif

jeg80

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t suggest any classes for weight training as they tend to emphasize cardio rather than true weight training with quick, jerky movement of weights that are far to light to be called weight training. I think cardio should be cardio and weights should be weights but that is just my opinion. Obviously any movement is better then nothing.
If you aren''t familiar with lifting weights I would suggest starting out with the machines at the gym that you just set the weight on and perform the exercise. This way you can get the feel for lifting and your muscles will "learn" the movements with proper form. I would start by doing a full body workout 2 times per week. This would include machines that work back, chest, arms, shoulders, quads, and hamstrings. I would do each exercise 10 times for 3 sets with a short break in between (30-60 seconds). The machines are called all different names depending on the maker but hopefully there are diagrams present on the machine itself that can at least show you the target muscle group.
Eventually you can work towards free weights. Free weights allow you to use more muscles at one time (compound exercises) thus making the workout more effective (more bang for your buck so to speak). For example...if you use the seated leg raise machine to work your quads, you just work your quads. If however, you do a free weight barbell squat to work your quads, you also work your glutes, hamstrings, ab/adductors, calves, and abdominals. I like free weights not only for the fact that they work more then one muscle group at a time, but b/c I can do the workouts at home in under 45 minutes with minimal equipment.
Hope this has helped a bit
1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I try to give myself goals to stay motivated. "Well I jogged this much today, I want to beat it tomorrow" or like now "I''m doing this 5k, yes I am."

Going back to the weights thing, I saw myself in a mirror lifting hand weights for the first time last night and was pleasantly surprised at the muscle in my arms that''s been developing with my cross training/weight moves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results