shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your bling number?

How much money do you spend without deep consideration? For bling.

• A. 1-200 dollars

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • B. 201-400 dollars

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • C.401-600 dollars

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • D. 601-800 dollars

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • E.801-1000 dollars

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • G. No limit. Life is short.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • H. I would never rush into buying bling.

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At what amount do you not think twice to buy Bling? Curious to know what is the number that makes you think twice. Assuming that you love the piece, and can’t live without it, of course? Also, I’m talking about those great Ebay finds or sale items that may be non returnable, which lead many of us to choose to pull the trigger or pass without much time to consider.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fall into the $100-$200 category, just yesterday I was pawn shopping and bought a curved diamond band for $130.

However I also found a platinum diamond and sapphire Jeff Cooper band that I'm still thinking on since it's above my comfortable range although it is a steal and I may go back and get it, just couldn't pull the trigger on it on the spot.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I voted H. I would never rush into buying bling. Those who know me may think otherwise. In the short time since I've discovered PS, I've spent quite a lot on bling. But I've had a mental list. As tempting as something might be, if it's not on my list, I don't buy it. I remind myself that if I purchase because I like it and it's a good price, then it's that much longer until I can purchase one of my list items. Another question I ask myself is how I would feel if I bought x and y on my list showed up the next day or the next week.

On the other hand, this process has allowed me to jump on some well priced items even though the price was high in the absolute sense.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
On the other end of the spectrum, I have friends who have severe 'analysis paralysis' for almost any purchase of jewelry and sometimes don't end up making a purchase that is really appealing :D

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one of those analysis paralysis people too - takes me forever to decide b/c this is the definition of a want not need. I've passed on some really well priced high ticket items b/c I know they won't get a lot of use so I'd just be buying to hold, use a few times, and eventually sell. So many ways that can go wrong....I don't gamble more than $50 when I go to Vegas either so I guess that's just my nature to be cautious. :lol-2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m super impulsive so around 6-800 is a limit.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also voted H. Really, no matter what price, I get severe buyers remorse *before* committing. Takes a hard push from hubby to buy anything. I am also very picky and wouldnt buy something that I wouldnt change my every day outfit for. I have a lot of jewelry in boxes and would hate to add to that "box collection". I actually have a bling budget ready but havent found *what to buy*! First world problem...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have dismantled, forgotten, giften & practically thrown out too much jewelry to not think a zillion times about each (euro)cent...

On the other hand, the things that cling to me are meaningful like no other posession - therefore, same conclusion.

I have a thesis to hand in, then, there be new jewelry. Can't have two such complicated things on my mind at once!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted $201-400 yesterday but then impulsively purchased a $550 ring last night. But it wasn’t as impulsive as it may have seemed. I’d been casually thinking and looking about something for a few years but didn’t see anything I liked enough to buy it. Then this popped up on LT and I knew it ticked all of my boxes. So although I first thought that it was impulsive purchase, and I guess it still is, but I don’t know for sure now since I do my thinking about it before I see something instead of after I see it and during my decision to buy.

I do this with cars, clothes, all kinds of things. In my head I’ve outlined exactly what I want and then pull the lever when I see it in real life. Seems impulsive to people on the outside but in my head I’ve thought about it for months.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At what amount do you not think twice to buy Bling? Curious to know what is the number that makes you think twice. Assuming that you love the piece, and can’t live without it, of course? Also, I’m talking about those great Ebay finds or sale items that may be non returnable, which lead many of us to choose to pull the trigger or pass without much time to consider.

My vote is at the 1K mark where if I love something I would probably make an impulse purchase at that mark or below.
Though sometimes the smaller purchases are the ones I agonize about even more so that makes no sense. But who said I make sense.:oops2::P2

10-.tumblr_lvv6dzIQ3L1r7q7nno1_500-final-1433359411.gif

What is your number @nala ?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I over-think everything. It's one of my character flaws.
Therefore, making buying decisions on bling is sometimes agonizing for me.
I can spend a few hundred without too much pain, but that's where it stops.
Household/car expenses cancel out bling-buying, unfortunately.
I just got new tires for the SUV, and it hurt me deeply to spend on something that didn't have gemstones stuck on it.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I voted H. I don't make any purchases quickly. I recently spent 30 minutes standing in an aisle of TJ Maxx trying to decide which snow globe to buy. I've always been like this and it doesn't matter how much the item costs or have much money I have to spend.

I've been debating about the whiteflash by the yard bracelet for weeks. I wanted to have it by Thanksgiving, but my hemming and hawing has made that look unlikely :(2. Sometimes I wish I could be more impulsive.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I overthink the heck out of things, I spend days- weeks!- researching big purchases, but I chose A because I impulsively bought a pair of tiny diamond huggies at a pawn shop that were only $25 after trade value of some found scrap gold. (Literally found in a gravel parking lot, and unsuccessfully advertised to find the owner.) If they were much more than $35 I would have paused.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would buy something a few hundred dollars but it won’t be an impulse purchase anymore unless it’s on eBay and time is of the essence..hahaha..I really think things through...It would be a short time for a few hundred dollars and months for the big purchases..I found out that I can change my mind later and regret my decision when I don’t fully think it through..I’m talking thousands of dollar purchases. When I bought my larger studs I agonized over it for months..checking stats..coming here to learn..I was a mad woman..lost sleep..but I’m very happy with my purchase now...BUT there were other purchases I made this year up to $1,500 each that I thought I wanted but found out I really didn’t and it really bothers me that I was hasty....That’s why I’m taking my time to wait until the end of the year to think about what I want to spend my Christmas and birthday money on. I keep changing my mind so it worries me I may make another mistake..BUT..sometimes I see something and it hits me with a love dart and I love it forever...I’m wordy this morning! Sorry!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. I was in a shop selling old vintage things including gold and silver charms. Saw a tiny one- a flat Rembrandt 14kt map of Ireland. No bigger than a small pinky fingernail. Hardly weighed anything. It was nothing special. They said $140 less 20%. I did not buy it. Too much for too little.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy something a few hundred dollars but it won’t be an impulse purchase anymore unless it’s on eBay and time is of the essence..hahaha..I really think things through...It would be a short time for a few hundred dollars and months for the big purchases..I found out that I can change my mind later and regret my decision when I don’t fully think it through..I’m talking thousands of dollar purchases. When I bought my larger studs I agonized over it for months..checking stats..coming here to learn..I was a mad woman..lost sleep..but I’m very happy with my purchase now...BUT there were other purchases I made this year up to $1,500 each that I thought I wanted but found out I really didn’t and it really bothers me that I was hasty....That’s why I’m taking my time to wait until the end of the year to think about what I want to spend my Christmas and birthday money on. I keep changing my mind so it worries me I may make another mistake..BUT..sometimes I see something and it hits me with a love dart and I love it forever...I’m wordy this morning! Sorry!

"love dart" :lol-2::mrgreen2: must find as many places as possible to use this phrase now :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends what I’m buying.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It depends on what it is!
I once bought a 1.5 ct GIA cert princess cut for 3 K with less than 10 minutes of looking at it. After owning it for a while, I didn't like that it faced up so much smaller than a round so I sold it! I learned that princess cuts are just not my thing. Thanks to the insane low price I paid , I was able to do quite nicely on it!

Generally though I do not buy anything over 100 without thinking about it if it is in a jewelry store. I always assume I can get a better deal if I do my homework when it comes to a jewelry store. Frankly there are always "sales" and great deals out there. I don't like to buy silver /costume jewelry unless it is for kids to play with so there isn't much that I buy that I don't buy because I really want it now. I did buy a beautiful little necklace for a 18 month old on impulse recently! She Looked SO cute in it. That was money well spent and she gets to wear it when she goes out.

I wouldn't think twice if I found something nice on eBay from a seller with good feedback and time was of the essence as long as it was under 1000 or so. I don't really need anything else so I don't go on there often.

I have been trying to stay away from ebay and the like as I want to get 2 - 1ct round lightbox labs and make earrings. The waiting for them to get them in stock is driving me a little batty and I have been buying cheap purses to to decorate to tide me over.

Waiting is BORING! I pulled out my sewing machine and am going to buy some material and make some scarves here in a little bit.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont want to waste even $200 on something that I may not wear. I tend to overthink things and miss out on good deals. It's just my
nature.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Missy, I agonize more over the small stuff than the big ones. Maybe because the smaller ones tend to be more readily available type things and the big ones are more bucket list things, so when I find one that rocks my world I DO think about it a bit, but when prompted (like if a stone that I've been stalking disappears from a site!) I whip out that American Express card so fast the are sparks flying off of it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suffer from analysis paralysis on practically everything. I'm bad about spending on bling I LOOOOOOOVEEEEEE... then not wearing it. :: le sigh :: I overthink everything - it took me over 9 months to decide on a shade of white for my kitchen cabinets. I thought my husband was going to kill me... seriously. And this is the main reason why I doubt I'll ever change from a solitaire. LOL

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on how much wine is involved :lol:. I've recently purchased a few things off Ebay in the last few moments of the auction after a couple of glasses, though thankfully I am very happy with them. I was only disappointed that one I didn't realize was 3 sizes too big until after. I really am blaming Facebook and my effort to stay off it keeps me here and on Ebay! Damn politics, ha.

But typically I have to have my husband convince me to buy what I love, even though it's not about the money. I sometimes like to make myself suffer somehow, like selling other things before buying something new. Maybe I should discuss this with a therapist! :lol:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with those who said it depends on what's involved. However, I also totally resonate with the PPs who agonize or fret over smaller purchases but may have little/no issue with large(r) ones. I suppose it's because the smaller ones would be a more impulsive purchase than a large-ticket item, which likely reflects a bucket-list goal for me.

As for the poll... my first inclination was to vote for G - not because I don't have any limits, but because life is too short, imho. If one is established, doesn't carry bad debt and has long-term savings/retirement funded, then why not? No one is guaranteed tomorrow, so I say, balance adulting with enjoying life. :mrgreen2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to buy a bunch of things that add up to quite a lot instead of buying the one piece that costs a lot. I want many new pieces instead of one or two big pieces..I’m trying to be better about it so really slowing down to think about what I want and put a number limit about how much I want to spend on an item I’m looking for. I do change my mind a lot even though I love a design..but then I see another different kind of design and I waffle..I frustrate myself.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to buy a bunch of things that add up to quite a lot instead of buying the one piece that costs a lot. I want many new pieces instead of one or two big pieces..I’m trying to be better about it so really slowing down to think about what I want and put a number limit about how much I want to spend on an item I’m looking for. I do change my mind a lot even though I love a design..but then I see another different kind of design and I waffle..I frustrate myself.

It’s hard to do and takes a lot of will power. I know because I’ve succumbed many times. :lol: While waiting patiently for that big bling piece one gets the desire for some new bling. We are but mere mortals and resisting beautiful bling is hard. :!:

It’s smart to put a limit on the smaller pieces while saving up for the bigger piece. This way you get to enjoy (smaller) bling purchases while saving up for “the one” if that is something you want.

When Bubbalah came around the second time around I wasn’t going to let her go again. Nope she was mine no matter how I did it. I didn’t hesitate. But yeah as I wrote before sometimes the smaller purchases can be more agonizing because they’re not as meaningful or special if that makes sense. Lol when we saw our current homes we knew right away it was ours to purchase. No hesitation. And easily our homes are the biggest purchases we’ve ever made. And will ever make. I think we knew right away despite the cost because they are our HG homes. With the bigger purchases sometimes you just know.

Good luck @Mamabean I know what you’re saving up for and it is worth it. Sending you lots of bling dust. :appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy :kiss2: I’m hoping I see one that hits me with the love dart very quickly. I’ve never seen an OEC in person and I love my MRB..so will be taking a chance on the cluster..I do know it needs to be white because I’m color sensitive..and that may make it hard to find..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy :kiss2: I’m hoping I see one that hits me with the love dart very quickly. I’ve never seen an OEC in person and I love my MRB..so will be taking a chance on the cluster..I do know it needs to be white because I’m color sensitive..and that may make it hard to find..

If you’re patient you’ll find the perfect for you cluster. Don’t sacrifice performance for color however. Hold out for both. I’m happy to help when you’re ready :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results