Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What is wrong with this stone? Too good to be true?

f1dfoto

Rough_Rock
First off, huge thank you to the experts on this site. I can't tell you how much less stressful this whole process became after finding pricescope.

I'm looking for a stone about 0.8-0.9 ct with ideal cut, good color, etc. Favoring cut above clarity, color, and carat, I've found a bunch of great candidates - one of which seems too good to be true:

0.858ct H VS2 for $3,800
Ideal Cut (AGS)
6.09 x 6.11 x 3.76
Table 56.1%
Depth 61.7%
Crown Angle 34.9 deg
Pav Angle 40.7

ASET:
aset_16.png

That seems like an amazing deal compared to:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917088 (H&A G VS2 0.81ct for $4,100)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.803-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104087405075 (BG signature H&A G VS2 0.80ct for $4,600)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3699006.htm (WF ACA H VS1 0.84ct for $4,600)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3703116.htm (WF ACA H VS2 0.85ct for $4,300)

I've always learned that if something seems to good to be true, it probably is. Is that the case here? Does it really get such a huge penalty for having a color grade of H? Or is just priced *really* well?

E B

Ideal_Rock
The numbers and ASET look great. As long as it's eye-clean and doesn't have any inclusions that pose a durability risk, snatch it up!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snatch it up! I saw that one (my friend is also looking for a diamond of approx that size and I showed him this one). It's excellent--I'd recommend buying it asap :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks fine, but none of those comps are relevant except the last one which is also H VS2. True hearts and arrows precision cut stone generally carry a premium over regular ideal cuts, so that is why you see the similar spec ACA at a few hundred dollars more. I have no idea where your stone is from, but Whiteflash has an excellent upgrade policy which also is added value for those who wish to use it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1469592957|4059724 said:
The stone looks fine, but none of those comps are relevant except the last one which is also H VS2. True hearts and arrows precision cut stone generally carry a premium over regular ideal cuts, so that is why you see the similar spec ACA at a few hundred dollars more. I have no idea where your stone is from, but Whiteflash has an excellent upgrade policy which also is added value for those who wish to use it.
That is a good point, DS! Those comps aren't very realistic in terms of direct comparisons. I was more just reacting to the specs of the stone in question and price being competitive from what I've seen. But 100% agree that WF is worth the value to many people due to the upgrade policy, and that precision cuts (ACA) or true H&A cuts aren't the right thing to compare to regular ideal cuts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as there are no transparency issue due to graining or anything that is making the stone hazy, I think you are fine. Just confirm that with the vendor.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.858ct H VS2 for $3,800
I would not worry about too much
I have seen near super ideal with a perfect ASET 0.9 H VS2 between $3,700~$4,200.

AGS 0.85 H VS2 is cheap at $3800, but not unreasonable. Great find. Such deal pops up here and there once in awhile.

It may be a good idea to share the actual link of the diamond, if you have already paid for it.

ps. Does the diamond have med~strong fluo? If so, that could be the reason for the discount.

f1dfoto

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.