shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this?

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
20220526_123800.jpg Hi,
Im new to this forum and Sapphires, i saw one Sapphire ring that has a GIA Certificate confirming it as Natural Corundum, Heat Treated. My question is, what is that in the middle of the Sapphire that can see inside the gem itself and there seems to be a crystal growth in it?
Is that normal?
The ring is about $3400. Do you think is worth the price? Is that see through is actually valuable in Sapphires or it actually decrease the value?
Please educate me. Thank you.

The store: Frank&Co.

Origin of Sapphire: unknown.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see through the middle due to the poor cutting called windowing. Inclusions are normal and to be expected but always aim for it to not be visible to the naked eye from 12 inches away.

A window is not a good thing. It means light is leaking through the stone instead of bouncing around inside and reflecting colour back to the eye.

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
You can see through the middle due to the poor cutting called windowing. Inclusions are normal and to be expected but always aim for it to not be visible to the naked eye from 12 inches away.

A window is not a good thing. It means light is leaking through the stone instead of bouncing around inside and reflecting colour back to the eye.

Thank you for the reply. But Sir, what is this inside the Sapphire itself? It looks like a crystal is growing inside the Sapphire ?
Screenshot_20220526-211756_Gallery.jpg

The sapphire appears to have very fine color... vibrant saturation, but not too dark. Yes, as chrono pointed out, what you're seeing through the center of the stone is the result of a cutting defect. It is likely due to the gem being a bit shallow, and so the light traveling through the table is not reflecting off of the pavilion facets properly. As a result, light is leaking out of the bottom of the stone. That area in the middle of the gem lacking brilliance is referred to as a "window," because you can see right through it. What you circled in the photo is just a distortion of the pavilion facets, as VividRed aptly mentioned. Yes, "windowing" is a negative attribute, but quite common with native cuts in corundum. It bothers some more than others. It's a very pretty ring though!

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
The sapphire appears to have very fine color... vibrant saturation, but not too dark. Yes, as chrono pointed out, what you're seeing through the center of the stone is the result of a cutting defect. It is likely due to the gem being a bit shallow, and so the light traveling through the table is not reflecting off of the pavilion facets properly. As a result, light is leaking out of the bottom of the stone. That area in the middle of the gem lacking brilliance is referred to as a "window," because you can see right through it. What you circled in the photo is just a distortion of the pavilion facets, as VividRed aptly mentioned. Yes, "windowing" is a negative attribute, but quite common with native cuts in corundum. It bothers some more than others. It's a very pretty ring though!

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
I do think the window is actually very pretty because i can see inside it and there is an illusion of a crystal is growing in it. It doesn't bother me at all actually. I think that's how gems should be instead of all the same color. I guess for $3400 i'm paying more for the diamonds and white gold than for this Sapphire then.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
I do think the window is actually very pretty because i can see inside it and there is an illusion of a crystal is growing in it. It doesn't bother me at all actually. I think that's how gems should be instead of all the same color. I guess for $3400 i'm paying more for the diamonds and white gold than for this Sapphire then.

What is the carat weight of the sapphire and diamonds? Is the ring gold or platinum? We'll have a better idea about an appropriate price with that info in mind. But, still, for a natural, GIA certified, heat-only sapphire and diamond ring, I can't imagine that it would be worth less than the $3,400. So it sounds about right. And even if that sapphire isn't cut perfectly, that doesn't mean the quality of the material is any less. Is does look like a beautifully colored stone! :)

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
20220526_123800.jpg Hi,
Im new to this forum and Sapphires, i saw one Sapphire ring that has a GIA Certificate confirming it as Natural Corundum, Heat Treated. My question is, what is that in the middle of the Sapphire that can see inside the gem itself and there seems to be a crystal growth in it?
Is that normal?
The ring is about $3400. Do you think is worth the price? Is that see through is actually valuable in Sapphires or it actually decrease the value?
Please educate me. Thank you.

The store: Frank&Co.

Origin of Sapphire: unknown.

I really like it. The window doesn’t look that bad and the color is very nice. If you could give more info on the carat weight of sapphire and diamonds that would help with pricing, as others have said. It looks to be a nicely made ring with claw prongs.

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
What is the carat weight of the sapphire and diamonds? Is the ring gold or platinum? We'll have a better idea about an appropriate price with that info in mind. But, still, for a natural, GIA certified, heat-only sapphire and diamond ring, I can't imagine that it would be worth less than the $3,400. So it sounds about right. And even if that sapphire isn't cut perfectly, that doesn't mean the quality of the material is any less. Is does look like a beautifully colored stone! :)

I have a picture of the GIA certificate for the Sapphire. I didn't ask for the Diamond tho.
The gold is 18k white gold.

20220526_123559.jpg

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
I went to several other stores and found these three, they are all about the same price. All heated natural Sapphires in 18k white gold surrounded by diamonds F color VVS1-2 mixed.

RING 1
Screenshot_20220530-181805_Gallery.jpg
Ring 1 GIA ceritifcate:
20220530_125958.jpg
The Sapphire on this "Ring 1" is dark but the contrast with the blue makes it so beautiful, the color is also brilliant when compared side by side by the other two. However there are windows when i tilt the ring. I wish i can upload videos here, i have no idea how without uploading it first to Facebook/ Youtube. I don't want my friends/ family to see them yet.

RING 2
Screenshot_20220530-182424_Gallery.jpg

Ring 2 GIA certificate:
20220530_130054.jpg

Ring 2 just like Ring I has windows when tilted. Ring 2 has lighter blue color but more muted, not as brilliant as Ring I. It also has more inclusions (the sales lady kindly showed me their internal note about the gem, however i wasnt allowed to take pics of it.)

RING 3
Screenshot_20220530-193349_Gallery.jpg

Ring 3 GIA certificate:
20220530_121304.jpg
Ring 3 as far as i can see there isn't any visible window, but the ring itself (don't know what's it called, the cage? The built?) is different than the previous two rings, making the Sapphire and the whole ring itself looks smaller.

The previous two rings has a small gap between the ring and the center stone, while ring 3 doesn't have any gap.

Maybe this is why the previous two rings have windows?

If it is up to you personally, which ring would you get from all of these?

The ring in the top of the thread is also a different ring.

Mae auditore

Rough_Rock
What’s going on with the prong on the right side?

Oh what's wrong with it? I have no idea :oops2::cry2:

I wish i have a friend who knows tons about gemstones and diamonds, she can come with me to the stores.

Having everyone in this forum helping me with your valuable opinion and expertise will really help me decide which one to get for my engagement ring.

Thank you for the time and help everyone has given me. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how pear cuts really stretch the size for the comparative weight. I love that about them. So how does the color of the stone in the third ring compare with the others? I'm leaning towards that one!

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the photos you've shown, like Autumn I'm also leaning towards the third one.

Tilt windows are normal in gems and most gems will have them when tilted to a certain degree. When you look directly down at the center/table and see a dead spot/window, that is more concerning but everyone's tolerance for windows are different. I for one wouldn't mind a small one if it's a very rare gem.

You are correct that the first and second ring have an "air gap" between the halo and the center sapphire which is a design difference from the third ring where it sits flush. I don't think there's any relation with the stones having a tilt window and the air gaps but I could be wrong.

If all 3 rings are of a similar price, I would go for the one that speaks to me the most in person and the color most aesthetically pleasing in different lighting conditions.

Tilt windows are normal in gems and most gems will have them when tilted to a certain degree. When you look directly down at the center/table and see a dead spot/window, that is more concerning but everyone's tolerance for windows are different. I for one wouldn't mind a small one if it's a very rare gem.

100% agree... especially common with pear shapes too.

You are correct that the first and second ring have an "air gap" between the halo and the center sapphire which is a design difference from the third ring where it sits flush. I don't think there's any relation with the stones having a tilt window and the air gaps but I could be wrong.

I prefer the flush look of the 3rd ring, and I also agree that it has no bearing on the tilt window.

goodpost2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results