shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this black smudge on my ring?

RileyOrmsby

Rough_Rock
I know nothing about jewelry. I just bought a band for my fiance, and there are two black smudges on the band, as well as one black freckle. This is an 18k white gold band. Can anyone give me guidance as to what this may be? Also, when I return to the jeweler that I bought it from, what what YOU expect for the jeweler to do in order to make it right? IMG_3038.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about jewelry. I just bought a band for my fiance, and there are two black smudges on the band, as well as one black freckle. This is an 18k white gold band. Can anyone give me guidance as to what this may be? Also, when I return to the jeweler that I bought it from, what what YOU expect for the jeweler to do in order to make it right? IMG_3038.jpg

The only thing I could think of is maybe she got Clorox on it from doing the wash..or some other chemical. I’m sure the jeweler can buff it out..but you will probably have to rhodium plate it again.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that's a good point about the Clorox. There are some hand sanitizers that contain chlorine instead of alcohol, which is very bad for rhodium plating. That said, I've used Clorox wipes for years to clean my kitchen (while wearing my rings) and I've never seen any black smudges on mine.

Personally, I would expect the jeweler to explain what could have caused this in such a short time. I would also expect him/her to offer to fix it for free or for a nominal charge, considering this is the first time it's happened.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
How new is this ring? Has it been worn at all or is it brand new? My first thought was that it might just need another steam clean - either the wearer got some stubborn dirt on it or it's leftover smudge from whatever work the jeweler recently did.

RileyOrmsby

Rough_Rock
The only thing I could think of is maybe she got Clorox on it from doing the wash..or some other chemical. I’m sure the jeweler can buff it out..but you will probably have to rhodium plate it again.

Should have mentioned this: The ring is brand new. It looked like this out of the box. So I don't think it has to do with Clorox unless someone touched it with these chemicals before I received the ring.

RileyOrmsby

Rough_Rock
How new is this ring? Has it been worn at all or is it brand new? My first thought was that it might just need another steam clean - either the wearer got some stubborn dirt on it or it's leftover smudge from whatever work the jeweler recently did.

Ring is brand new. I took it to the jeweler and he cleaned it, polished it, and it still had the smudges visibly present.

RileyOrmsby

Rough_Rock
Yes, that's a good point about the Clorox. There are some hand sanitizers that contain chlorine instead of alcohol, which is very bad for rhodium plating. That said, I've used Clorox wipes for years to clean my kitchen (while wearing my rings) and I've never seen any black smudges on mine.

Personally, I would expect the jeweler to explain what could have caused this in such a short time. I would also expect him/her to offer to fix it for free or for a nominal charge, considering this is the first time it's happened.

Yeah, the ring is brand new, so I don't think Clorox is the issue, as my fiance noticed the smudges right out of the box!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results