shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the golden ratio of diamond studs to ER stone?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I recall seeing something on this topic in the past but can’t seem to find the thread now...

As some of you may know, I am in the midst of having an ACA diamond custom cut by Whiteflash (so exciting, should be done being cut in Belgium withinin 1-2 weeks before being sent for evaluation by the AGS lab in Las Vegas then finally going to Houston).

It will be in the range of 3.60-3.65 carat.

I am now really itching for diamond studs. My current pair are a fairly inexpensive pair of pre-set halo studs I got from bluenile a number of years ago. I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of 3.4-3.8 ctw Whiteflash ACA’s, meaning each lobe would be adorned with 1.7-1.9 ct MRBs.

Which brings me to the current question... what is the “golden” ratio of diamond stud to engagement ring size?

Note that the 3.60-3.65 ct is estimated to end up in the 9.80-9.90 mm range, and it will be set in a VC Emilya Halo, which should add 1.4-1.5 mm all around, bringing the total diameter to approximately 12.80-12.90 mm.

Thanks in advance!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I recall seeing something on this topic in the past but can’t seem to find the thread now...

As some of you may know, I am in the midst of having an ACA diamond custom cut by Whiteflash (so exciting, should be done being cut in Belgium withinin 1-2 weeks before being sent for evaluation by the AGS lab in Las Vegas then finally going to Houston).

It will be in the range of 3.60-3.65 carat.

I am now really itching for diamond studs. My current pair are a fairly inexpensive pair of pre-set halo studs I got from bluenile a number of years ago. I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of 3.4-3.8 ctw Whiteflash ACA’s, meaning each lobe would be adorned with 1.7-1.9 ct MRBs.

Which brings me to the current question... what is the “golden” ratio of diamond stud to engagement ring size?

Note that the 3.60-3.65 ct is estimated to end up in the 9.80-9.90 mm range, and it will be set in a VC Emilya Halo, which should add 1.4-1.5 mm all around, bringing the total diameter to approximately 12.80-12.90 mm.

Thanks in advance!!

I think that is perfect! Each stud half the size of the ering stone - notwithstanding the halo!

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
P.s a diamond stud in the 1.75-1.80 ct range would measure approximately 7.8 mm

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I think that is perfect! Each stud half the size of the ering stone - notwithstanding the halo!

Thanks @MissGotRocks!!

Funny! I didn’t even realize that the studs would be exactly half the ER weight! Haha

I think that’s because I originally thought I might go for something in the 1.4-1.6 ct range, and also because I never had a set “goal” carat weight for my ER.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think ~7.5-8mm studs would be lovely with a ~10mm stone ::)

But, y’know, ~10mm studs would be lovely with a ~13mm finger face-up...

We can help you justify whatever you’d like :whistle:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think ~7.5-8mm studs would be lovely with a ~10mm stone ::)

But, y’know, ~10mm studs would be lovely with a ~13mm finger face-up...

We can help you justify whatever you’d like :whistle:

:lol:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol I was thinking the same thing ;-)

I think it also depends on finger and lobe size. I know 1.7ct on my small lobes would look silly, but just right on someone else. Of course, I’d be OK with looking silly...:lol:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
5871D031-D54A-406F-8D38-CF7C419C3B7C.jpeg 211DDCC1-2126-47A8-95FE-888CF8D8601B.jpeg @HappyNewLife, Aren’t we lucky for having little lobes? :lol:

Because of this, the 1.7-1.9ct will actually look very nice/large on my little earlobes! But whereas I was/am quite self-conscious that the ER will be too ostentatious (3.60-3.65ct in a halo = 12.85 mm on a size 5.25 - 5.5 max finger) I am happy to rock big studs (which I plan on wearing every day and not just on occasions).

Here are pics of 1.6 ct on me

P.s. my lobes are small enough that the jumbo earring backings peek through underneath!

Last edited:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
C7F6790E-2A1A-4E0B-A159-B926AB319F61.jpeg And here is a side-by-side comparison of the same 1.6 ct (F colour) on the right and a 2.0ct (I colour) on the left.

Note that the 2.0 ct looks a little smaller in the pic than in real life, as I was holding it next to the lobe with a diamond prong pick-up tool and it is on a slight angle...

Side note: I was surprised how much face-up tint was obvious on the I colour. I figured it would be more visible from the side but subtle from the top. Perhaps it was in the grey range rather than yellow range?

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The Golden Ratio is 1 to 1.618, according to every Classical Art textbook I had in Art History classes.

Does that mean for every 1 carat of earring, you should have 1.618 carats of ring? Hmmm.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5871D031-D54A-406F-8D38-CF7C419C3B7C.jpeg 211DDCC1-2126-47A8-95FE-888CF8D8601B.jpeg @HappyNewLife, Aren’t we lucky for having little lobes? :lol:

Because of this, the 1.7-1.9ct will actually look very nice/large on my little earlobes! But whereas I was/am quite self-conscious that the ER will be too ostentatious (3.60-3.65ct in a halo = 12.85 mm on a size 5.25 - 5.5 max finger) I am happy to rock big studs (which I plan on wearing every day and not just on occasions).

Here are pics of 1.6 ct on me

I’m actually amazed at how perfect the 1.6 look on your small lobe. I wear .85ct on my small lobe and didn’t think I could go much bigger without it looking silly, but you have me reconsidering :lol:

IMG_1062.jpg

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I’m actually amazed at how perfect the 1.6 look on your small lobe. I wear .85ct on my small lobe and didn’t think I could go much bigger without it looking silly, but you have me reconsidering

Those look great on you! I love the subtle milgrain bezel I think I can make out!

Your lobes are similar to mine in that there is no extra “overhang” that dips below where the ear meets the cheek. But if anything, the height of that meeting point and of the lobe is longer on you... meaning there’s definitely room for a larger stud! :lol:

Can you tell me what colour those are? I’m thinking of getting H. Do you see colour in yours face-up on the lobe?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look great on you! I love the subtle milgrain bezel I think I can make out!

Your lobes are similar to mine in that there is no extra “overhang” that dips below where the ear meets the cheek. But if anything, the height of that meeting point and of the lobe is longer on you... meaning there’s definitely room for a larger stud! :lol:

Can you tell me what colour those are? I’m thinking of getting H. Do you see colour in yours face-up on the lobe?

You’re such an enabler :lol-2:. My piercings are ever so slightly different per ear, but the result is that one hole is higher to the firm cartilage and the other is about 1mm lower. It really makes all the difference in how they look too (close-up) and if there’s room for more diamond (did I just say that?!). Time will tell “if” I upgrade :whistle:

My studs are colorless (D/E), so no tint. I can’t lie.... I LOVE their icy whiteness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results