Another image

Attachments

• 7AB45CD3-799C-4EF8-8DD5-87E6FB80DA47.jpeg
    7AB45CD3-799C-4EF8-8DD5-87E6FB80DA47.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 47

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest, I've come back to this thread several times and I just can't figure this out. IMO (and I am not an expert at all) it is a brilliant cut. In the last picture the center facets on one side remind me of my transitional cut but this doesn't scream transitional to me.

It is an amazingly large diamond though, very pretty!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Is it graded?
The facets under the table don't look RB but the table also looks larger. I'm thinking transitional, closed culet. Hopefully someone with a better eye will chime in here.

BTW...beautiful diamond!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The transitional is on the left in this picture, granted it's a wee thing compared to yours just to give you an idea. Of course there are so many different facet patterns and culets can be open or closed. An appraiser could tell you for sure.

IMG_7364.JPG

lissku

Rough_Rock
Is it graded?
The facets under the table don't look RB but the table also looks larger. I'm thinking transitional, closed culet. Hopefully someone with a better eye will chime in here.

BTW...beautiful diamond!!!

Hi no it isn’t. It is supposed to be some sort of antique. The jeweler said OEC which it clearly isn’t bc of the giant table. I guess my fear is that it is just an off color crappy cut modern.

lissku

Rough_Rock
The transitional is on the left in this picture, granted it's a wee thing compared to yours just to give you an idea. Of course there are so many different facet patterns and culets can be open or closed. An appraiser could tell you for sure.

IMG_7364.JPG

Those are beautiful. Thank you for posting the examples. I appreciate it!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a profile picture? It looks like it's got a large table but relatively chunky pavilion mains. I assume it's got a relatively shallow crown. Which suggests transitional or early modern brilliant to me. Definitely not OEC from how it looks and those proportions. Is it sparkly and fiery?

lissku

Rough_Rock
Can you post a profile picture? It looks like it's got a large table but relatively chunky pavilion mains. I assume it's got a relatively shallow crown. Which suggests transitional or early modern brilliant to me. Definitely not OEC from how it looks and those proportions. Is it sparkly and fiery?

I will post a profile. It is super super super flat.

lissku

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! I am trying to upload a video. The way you describe it feels pretty accurate.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have a much larger version of the style of diamond my mum's ering has in it - very very shallow crown, huge table - I'll see if I can get a picture of it and post it. Hers is from around 1960 I think.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it will major on chunky white light return and not have that much fire, but it is certainly a statement stone, either way!

Would be cool to see an ASETscope of it :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you, not an OEC like the jeweler said. If you were wanting an OEC are you in the return window? Do you have the measurements for the diamond? I think @foxinsox is on to something being late 1900s so not what I think of as a transitional cut diamond.

lissku

Rough_Rock
I agree with you, not an OEC like the jeweler said. If you were wanting an OEC are you in the return window? Do you have the measurements for the diamond? I think @foxinsox is on to something being late 1900s so not what I think of as a transitional cut diamond.

I’m mad at myself. I knew better. I know enough to know it wasn’t an OEC. also-uncertified. I’m having major remorse. I traded in my original. I’m going to try to undo the deal. Ugh!!!

lissku

Rough_Rock
I’m mad at myself. I knew better. I know enough to know it wasn’t an OEC. also-uncertified. I’m having major remorse. I traded in my original. I’m going to try to undo the deal. Ugh!!!

I don’t have all the measurements. It is 13mm. Hard to tell bc I have gigantic hands.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share with us the diamond you traded for this one?

You should be able to return this based on the fact he told you it was an OEC and it doesn't appear that is correct.

If you can't return it for whatever reason you could have it recut into an OEC, there are people that do this that can cut it to ideal OEC parameters so you would get amazing performance. It is large diamond, you would lose some weight and size. Just throwing it out as an idea.

Do you like the color of this diamond or did you primarily get it for the size and finger coverage?

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:

lissku

Rough_Rock

You should be able to return this based on the fact he told you it was an OEC and it doesn't appear that is correct.

If you can't return it for whatever reason you could have it recut into an OEC, there are people that do this that can cut it to ideal OEC parameters so you would get amazing performance. It is large diamond, you would lose some weight and size. Just throwing it out as an idea.

Do you like the color of this diamond or did you primarily get it for the size and finger coverage?

*Edited for clarity

I only saw it for a couple of minutes. It was really a knee jerk purchase. My old diamond wasn't cut great (apparently that is my gig) 4.85 round brilliant K with faint fluorescence so it was white. I think i saw the size and trusted the jeweler. The lighting at the office was key--it appeared to have more fire than it does and the color wasn't as prominent. I was joking w by Bff that maybe i had a small stroke while viewing and lost all sense. If i can't undo the deal, then recutting will for sure be on the table. i really appreciate the recommendation.

lissku

Rough_Rock

*Edited for clarity

517328DD-E80B-43D4-8C20-87D4A4882E95.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope this gets resolved in your favor quickly. And please don’t be hard on yourself. Thousands of us are on PS because diamond and jewelry shopping isn’t easy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take comfort in the fact that you have a lot to work with if you do decide to recut. In any event there can be a happy ending here so don't get too down about it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it can be recut, what it could be cut into?
Obviously a much smaller MRB,
but wondering how large you could get, if you could find someone to do it, Not a AVR type cut but a very apparent visually OEC style - what type of spread can you expect?
And would it be less spread than the stone you traded in - would that be upsetting to you in the end?

lissku

Rough_Rock
I wonder if it can be recut, what it could be cut into?
Obviously a much smaller MRB,
but wondering how large you could get, if you could find someone to do it, Not a AVR type cut but a very apparent visually OEC style - what type of spread can you expect?
And would it be less spread than the stone you traded in - would that be upsetting to you in the end?

All good questions. I need to find a trustworthy recommendation to consult on recutting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results