shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to clean diamond rings?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Taking it to a local jeweler?

If DIY do you use a special cleaning machine?

Something else?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful suggestions....if I may offer a pre-cursor.
Make sure not to keep your ring on when applying hand lotion.....
The main difficulty in cleaning diamonds once they are set is the back of them. If you get lotion back there, it's very difficult to clean.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drop my ring in this daily while I'm showering/getting ready: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014LU4FA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had an ultrasonic cleaner and lost a pave diamond once, had my solitaire diamonds become loose on two occasions AND my BFF's engagement ring diamond fell OUT (and almost went down the sink!) after using it. Yeah, I'm done with those lol.

I also have this, for when I'm in a rush: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00459VM6I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want to get into it ..

https://www.stuller.com/products/15-2009/?groupId=119628&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

However, I find warm soapy water and a soft bristled tooth brush does the trick just fine. Most jewelry stores can let it soak in the ultrasonic for a few minutes and then steam it after for free. Make sure you're able to watch the entire process though!

interesting. I googled it for pricing, with a 20% off coupon it's actually not that bad here: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...MI2Mvsh7bQ2AIVi7XACh1htQ6FEAQYASABEgITIfD_BwE

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time I stand at the kitchen sink, pump some liquid Dishwashing detergent from our soap dispenser onto a toothbrush and then brush the pavilion, rinse, and optionally dry with canned air. When I travel I use bath gel or liquid clear shampoo, whatever the hotel or cruise ship provides. The idea is to cut the grease because diamonds have an affinity for grease. They used greasebelts in diamond mining operations in the past.
To clean my tennis bracelets and/or several rings or pendants at once, I use my L&R Quantrex heated ultrasonic cleaner that I bought years ago from a jewelry supply house. I asked several jewelry stores which brand they used and I figured if it was good enough for them, it would be good enough for me.

Screenshot_20180111-104540.png

Lore

Rough_Rock
I drop my fiancée's ring into a mix of ammonia and water for 15-30 minutes and then rinse. Then I take a little dish soap and use a baby toothbrush to clean around the prongs. It isn't perfect but it seems to do the trick - we see a big difference almost immediately.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to get mine professionally cleaned at least once a month.
At home, I use Dawn Dish Soap mixed with Windex. I shake them around in the warm, suds, and use a tiny brush to clean the stones around the prongs & the pavilion. I rinse them in warm water, lay them on a paper towel, and swab rubbing alcohol on the diamonds (not the metal) with Q-Tips. I use the dry end of the Q-Tip to dry the diamonds (esp the pavilion), then I shine them with a soft cloth.

***I must add: I have step cut diamonds, and they tend to show lint & dirt very easily, so I find that I clean my diamonds at home somewhere in the ball park of every 3-4 Days. Sometimes, more frequently, if it’s necessary.

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I drop my fiancée's ring into a mix of ammonia and water for 15-30 minutes and then rinse. Then I take a little dish soap and use a baby toothbrush to clean around the prongs. It isn't perfect but it seems to do the trick - we see a big difference almost immediately.
You might want to limit that to a couple of minutes - ammonia is good but can damage gold with overexposure.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every morning and night with soap and a soft toothbrush. And I love the hand driers at work cos they’re the Dyson ones and very powerful so they dry my rings perfectly. I’ve yet to get a better clean at a jewellers except when they resized my ering. That was pristine.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends if I feel lazy or not. If I'm lazy then I'll just spray Windex on the ring then brush with a baby tooth brush, rinse under warm water dry with a paper towel. If I don't feel lazy then I'll use my cleaning toys..:lol:
q78x.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to get mine professionally cleaned at least once a month.
At home, I use Dawn Dish Soap mixed with Windex. I shake them around in the warm, suds, and use a tiny brush to clean the stones around the prongs & the pavilion. I rinse them in warm water, lay them on a paper towel, and swab rubbing alcohol on the diamonds (not the metal) with Q-Tips. I use the dry end of the Q-Tip to dry the diamonds (esp the pavilion), then I shine them with a soft cloth.

***I must add: I have step cut diamonds, and they tend to show lint & dirt very easily, so I find that I clean my diamonds at home somewhere in the ball park of every 3-4 Days. Sometimes, more frequently, if it’s necessary.

My asscher gets clean once a day, if not two or more times a day lol.

oldworlddiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
A soft bristle toothbrush (or one of those battery vibrating ones you can buy at CVS etc) and dish soap works very well. Just brush all over the diamond and make sure you get the underneath of the stone as well. Don't be scared to brush it, you won't hurt it. Rinse it well (cover drain) with warm water and dry with cloth.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given that one of those steam cleaners is less than $100 why wouldn't people opt for that over ultrasonics or using toothbrushes, etc? It seems faster (and safer since there aren't any chemicals involved), no?

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the ideas/recs! After looking at the steam cleaning machines, I wondered if I could use the steam wand on my espresso machine to clean jewelry items (making sure that it's super clean, no milk residue, of course!). Thank Google, I see others have already done it with great results! :D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that one of those steam cleaners is less than $100 why wouldn't people opt for that over ultrasonics or using toothbrushes, etc? It seems faster (and safer since there aren't any chemicals involved), no?

Tea kettle and a hemostat?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the ideas/recs! After looking at the steam cleaning machines, I wondered if I could use the steam wand on my espresso machine to clean jewelry items (making sure that it's super clean, no milk residue, of course!). Thank Google, I see others have already done it with great results! :D
I’ve don’t that and it kind of works, but my wand spits water so that means no perfect result.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have jewelry cleaner from my jeweler then I steam it with my steam wand on my espresso macube.. seems to work beautifully

Gemjardine

Rough_Rock
I take my 1.55 ct D-VS1 engagement ring back to our original jeweller for ultrasonic cleaning once in a while; but in the interim I have been using “Razzle Dazzle” - a product I stumbled upon randomly when visiting Las Vegas.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I prefer an ultrasonic all the way. If small stones come lose that is because they were not set properly. It does happen every once in a while to all setters, which is also why they usually test the jewelry in an ultrasonic after setting. I do like ultrasonics the best because they are easy to use and the gold seems to sparkle a lot more too afterwards, much more so than with other cleaning methods. When travelling, I just use a soft electric toothbrush and dish soap. In the ultrasonic I also use diluted dish soap. Rinse after. Dry immediately to avoid spots. Cloths and paper towels can all leave some lint. Canned air is best but I have experimented a lot with various types of lint free clothes and paper towels over the years and usually just use the best.

I am crazy about diamonds being clean, when wearing my rings, I often wipe them during the day. Clean once a day preferably. Step cuts drove me crazy. I love them but the tiniest amount of grease diminishes light return greatly. Brilliant cuts are more forgiving.

The most important thing is not to let grease and grime build up. Take rings off when washing hands with soap especially those containing lotion. Naturally, take them off before applying lotion and wait a few minutes. Do not go a long period without cleaning. I am shocked at what people´s rings look like when they go a month or several without cleaning, generally rendering them impossible to clean completely after a while. There are areas that one cannot reach even with the tiniest brush and not even an ultrasonic will do the trick if has gone a long time without cleaning.

Take care of your jewelry like your clothes, hair or body, they collect dirt and grease easily. Diamonds especially.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drop my ring in this daily while I'm showering/getting ready: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014LU4FA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had an ultrasonic cleaner and lost a pave diamond once, had my solitaire diamonds become loose on two occasions AND my BFF's engagement ring diamond fell OUT (and almost went down the sink!) after using it. Yeah, I'm done with those lol.

I also have this, for when I'm in a rush: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00459VM6I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be a bit cautious about the Diamond Dazzle stick. It contains a polymer that can buildup on stones (especially on certain gemstones) and can be horrible to remove. Its fine for a quick use, but not all the time. I actually use this product's stick without the solution as I like that the bristles can get into small details and clean them with my normal cleaning solution (dawn+water+tiny bit ammonia) or my ultrasonic.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do the brush/scrubby method day to day, but nothing can rival my ultrasonic. I’ve never had it loosen my diamonds and I use it ALL THE TIME - prob 3-4 times per week.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Connoisseur diamond dazzle stick and a soft brush

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just use this https://www.amazon.com/Precious-Jew...d=1515863138&sr=8-14&keywords=jewelry+cleaner

When I worked in a lab, I would drop my emerald and diamond ring into a little plastic cup with soapy water and into the sonicator! Amazingly I did not break the emerald in that ring, or in the emerald in another (less expensive) ring I had. But one of the baugette diamonds on the side broke! (I don't know from sonicator or something else). I was either very lucky, or emeralds are sturdier than one thinks. But I wouldn't do it now.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought this cleaner last month
https://m.costco.com/Sienna-TrioShi...and-UV-Light-Sanitizer.product.100370347.html

It was still in the box until last night! I had just bought a 1.8 oval stone from Blue Nile. I was happy with the stone for the first 3 days and then I started to notice the bow tie and it irked me, especially because I spent hours doing research on what to look for in an oval diamond. Man are they tricky!! Anyhoo, there is a point to this story i swear! Finally last night I couldn't take it anymore. I got out all of the paperwork and box to return the diamond but I thought I should clean the stone first before I send it back. I stuck it in this cleaner and WOW!! I could not believe my eyes!! The stone was more clean than when I first received it from Blue Nile! The stone does not have a prominent bow tie whatsoever! The above cleaner really does work! I can't take my eyes off of the stone now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results