shape
carat
color
clarity

What is an etch channel?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing my daily rounds of databases and looking at heart shape diamonds.... in the .45 to .65 range. One has a clarity grade of SI2 with etch channel as the only remark.

What does this mean? I assume it is "bad"? Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I was on the way to dinner and couldn't search.

I did have the same question as the last person on that thread, which is: is this "bad"?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't think of any reason why an etch channel would be worse than any other inclusion of similar size & (lack of) colour. Even if one were the only clarity characteristic accounting for an SI2, it would still be a small, local discontinuity, mostly sunk into the crystal & no more.

Interesting detail !

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is kinda cool actually. But, I have read dirt and oil can get in it and it's nearly impossible to get it out. So pass. Lol.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't think of any reason why an etch channel would be worse than any other inclusion of similar size & (lack of) colour. Might think of a fresh / un-healed 'feather' as worse, as it takes least energy to expand (still allot, IHMO - comparable to the stress of polishing, or a serious & blow right on target)

Interesting detail !

[ ... etched crystals are a favorite type - see: beryl , diamond (hoc); no tubes ... they are quite rare in anything]

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is kinda cool actually. But, I have read dirt and oil can get in it and it's nearly impossible to get it out. So pass. Lol.

The entrance is a small % of a mm., so it would be tricky to get anything in or out

2c

The lab report will ever need explaining !

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't think of any reason why an etch channel would be worse than any other inclusion of similar size & (lack of) colour. Might think of a fresh / un-healed 'feather' as worse, as it takes least energy to expand (still allot, IHMO - comparable to the stress of polishing, or a serious & blow right on target)

Interesting detail !

[ ... etched crystals are a favorite type - see: beryl , diamond (hoc); no tubes ... they are quite rare in anything]

Cool! Thanks for the links

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am awaiting a video...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3601.PNG IMG_3602.PNG IMG_3602.PNG IMG_3603.PNG Some shots from the video.

Attachments

• IMG_3603.PNG
    IMG_3603.PNG
    640.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 21

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The opinion of the gemologist was that it is eye clean and beautiful, so I bought it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results