shape
carat
color
clarity

What is an e ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sgoehle

Rough_Rock
What is an e ring? I see it discussed often. I am assuming that it is either a ring or stone bought over the internet. How can this be done? Are all these people so sophisticated that they can imagine what a stone looks like simply by looking at the stats? Am I old fashioned to think that you must see the stone to see the soul of the stone, not to mention the flaws, etc? I have poured over stones I have found on the net, but I can''t imagine buying one without seeing it first. Do people that buy stones over the net have scopes at home? How else can you really discern the clarity of the diamond? I am in the market for a few stones but I only have a few places in town that offer loose diamonds. What is my best approach? Thanks in advance, Ladyasterbilt

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
e ring stands for engagement ring on this forum. However, to answer your question, many people do buy stones online and have rave reviews of many dealers. They offer pictures and many of them will send you the stone, and allow you to send it back if you don''t like it after seeing it in person. Many many people on here have bought diamonds off of the internet and have GORGEOUS rings! Check out the E Ring Folder in the Show Me the Ring Forum, just to get an idea. A good number of the diamonds and gem stones in those e rings were purchased online. I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with the money you are putting down.

*M*

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
E-ring is often meant by engagement ring. Not usually referred as purchasing a ring or stone over the internet.
21.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2007 11:40:07 AM
Author:Lady Asterbilt
What is an e ring? I see it discussed often. I am assuming that it is either a ring or stone bought over the internet. How can this be done? Are all these people so sophisticated that they can imagine what a stone looks like simply by looking at the stats? Am I old fashioned to think that you must see the stone to see the soul of the stone, not to mention the flaws, etc? I have poured over stones I have found on the net, but I can''t imagine buying one without seeing it first. Do people that buy stones over the net have scopes at home? How else can you really discern the clarity of the diamond? I am in the market for a few stones but I only have a few places in town that offer loose diamonds. What is my best approach? Thanks in advance, Ladyasterbilt
An e-ring is the shortform for engagement ring. Many have bought just the center stone and others have bought both the ring and stone over the internet. The important thing is to chose a reputable and trusted vendor (and to stay away from e-bay).

I agree that you must see the stone in person in order to make the correct decision. The vendors have no problems mailing the stone to you or your chosen independent appraiser for x amount of time to check out the diamond. If you don''t like it, send it back and pay only the shipping cost.

Others are in a time crunch, over the big pond or trust the vendor enough that the diamond is bought sight unseen. However, they have done their homework on Pricescope first. These stones are selected by cut numbers (very tight parameters - cut chart, HCA and such), viewed through Idealscopes and ASET, have Sarin reports run on them and lots of magnified photographs.

Buying diamonds is more than just gauging its clarity. The cut is the most important thing to most pricescopers. By the way, the super magnified pictures taken by the vendors will show all the inclusions and etc, so no worries there.
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

What is an e ring?
the 'e' is for engagement. it's short for 'engagement ring'

I am assuming that it is either a ring or stone bought over the internet. How can this be done? Are all these people so sophisticated that they can imagine what a stone looks like simply by looking at the stats?
most people here do buy their erings and other diamonds online.
it can be done because the good vendors here offer only top quality diamonds with the best cuts. and yes, there are certain combinations of angles that are known to be great performing diamonds, so you can know with some certainty what you will be getting. besides, the well known vendors here have great return policies, so if you decide that you don't like the diamond, you can send it back.

Am I old fashioned to think that you must see the stone to see the soul of the stone, not to mention the flaws, etc?
there is nothing wrong with that at all! again, like i mentioned above, you CAN see the stone for yourself. if you deal with a reputable vendor (there are good ones here) you will have plenty of time to examine the diamond and compare it to ones at your local jeweler. if you decide it's not for you, you can just send it back!
i know that kind of sounds like an infomercial....but it really IS that easy. that's why so many of us continue to buy diamonds online.

have poured over stones I have found on the net, but I can't imagine buying one without seeing it first. Do people that buy stones over the net have scopes at home? How else can you really discern the clarity of the diamond?
your trepidation is common but in the hands of a good and reputable vendor, you have nothing to worry about. i would say that most of us do not have 'scopes' at home. i don't. well...i have a loupe...but hey! i'm a pricescoper, we are insane about our diamonds! but the beauty of a well cut diamond is not found in magnification. once you see a well cut diamond, you will see why..... the sparkle is just AMAZING. truly. i really believe that once you see a well cut diamond, you won't go back!

I am in the market for a few stones but I only have a few places in town that offer loose diamonds. What is my best approach? Thanks in advance, Ladyasterbilt
first of all, see if your jeweler(s) can get in some top quality stones. the easiest thing to do would be to ask them to show you some 'ags0' diamonds.
also, consider using this search https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx
to find some diamonds that interest you. you can post your results here and we can help you narrow down some options. you can order one, or two or...however many and take them to your local jeweler to compare.

just take your time and learn all you can!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
As others have mentioned e-ring is just short for engagement ring. RHR is a right hand ring...you ge the idea.

As far as internet shopping goes...from a reputable vendor, I''ve received better quality pieces, better prices, larger inventory, and actually better service as well than local B&M''s from my experience. I also think that you can get *more* information on a stone purchased at a vendor like goodoldgold.com than a local B&M since they post an image, an IS image, the relevant numbers, and other stats as well.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
In addition to the excellent answers you've received I'd like to offer a seller's perspective.

It's a wonderful time to be a consumer. Not so many years ago diamonds were sold without proof of cut quality. The age of Internet shopping has created demand for reliable ways to predict a diamond’s beauty before the buyer ever sees it live. You may find that consumers doing internet research often know about AGS/GIA standards, cut grading systems and light performance evaluation where non-internet shoppers do not.

Live stores still have the advantage of showing diamonds to you in bright lighting. This is emotionally powerful and can be compelling enough to close a sale, sometimes before the buyer researches the pedigree of what he/she is buying (which may not matter to some).

Internet sellers must prove a diamond's pedigree and value sight-unseen first. Only then can we count on your emotional reaction, because no one is 100% sure of an internet purchase until they open the box and see the diamond inside. So...to earn your trust we give generous return periods. We want you to live with the stone for a while. Take it for a walk. View it in your favorite room, your office, your backyard. Shine a laser pointer through it.
2.gif
Go on a blingalicious 'world tour' and compare its 'soul' directly with others you've been considering. We respect and welcome your need for verification. To compete with the emotional advantage of live sales, strong internet sellers are there for you in the short-term with this inspection period, and many are there for you in the long-term with generous trade-up options and other purchase benefits.

We understand that the most important thing, aside from how beautiful the diamond looks to you, is confidence in your purchase decision. To this end, insist on proof of pedigree and documentation from a strong grading lab or independent appraiser regardless of where you get the diamond.

sgoehle

Rough_Rock
You have all been very helpful. I am feeling more confident already. I hope you don''t mind my nerdy questions. Ladyasterbilt

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Eternity ring/ Engagement ring? Can anyone explain these two also?

sgoehle

Rough_Rock
You have all been very helpful. I am feeling more confident already. I hope you don''t mind my frequent questions. Ladyasterbilt

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2007 1:22:57 AM
Author: scarleta
Eternity ring/ Engagement ring? Can anyone explain these two also?
Eternity refers to a ring with diamonds that go all the way around the band.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results