shape
carat
color
clarity

What helps you concentrate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The fact that I''m on PS so much suggests I have problems with concentration. Yes! I confess! It''s true!

I''m wondering: do you have problems concentrating? And do you have suggestions of what works well for you? Help!

...and I promise not to sign on and look at your suggestions until I''ve written 2 more pages of this document!
3.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I have serious concentration problems! When I''m feeling particularly distracted I try to set a goal, like you did in your post about completing 2 more pages and then I can let myself be distracted for a little. Sometimes it''s the only way I can get through the day.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need dead silence with little or no distractions. No TV, no email, no radio, no coworkers. When I have a big manuscript to work on (I''m an editor) I put a screen over my cube, turn off my phone, and shut down my computer.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I need background noise to concentrate -- I''m a multitasker by nature, so if I don''t have multiple things to work on, I''ll have alot of trouble concentrating...I like to be under pressure.

My current job does not keep me busy enough, and I find myself having trouble concentrating, but I''ve also found taht I concentrate best when there are people talking around me, or if I put in a tutorial cd (lately sales training) and listen to it as I work, I concentrate better.

My biggest problem is boredom, and I find working on only one thing at a time very boring. At my job, I often do work in conjunction with doing personal tasks like wedding stuff or paying bills, which actually makes me work faster than if I just tried to focus on one thing.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS improves my concentration! When my work is driving me nuts, I check in with PS for a minute. Then I''m ready to get back to work again.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I just did 4 pages, and am feeling proud of myself!

At the moment, I''m trying to remind myself how REALLY proud I will feel when I finish this project - which is a major one. That will be GREAT!

Now that I wrote 4 pages, I''m going to go for a run and then after lunch have yummy ice cream for desert. Mmmm...

3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually have the tv on or a CD playing if I''m at home. It feels so strange whenever there''s absolute quiet. I''ve pretty much always studied with the TV on or music playing. My boyfriend is the opposite. He needs complete silence when he studies.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I work best in absolute silence and produce the most work early in the morning. I usually get up and go straight to work on school assignments at 6:30 am in my pj''s. I work for a few hours and then have breakfast. I was the same way when I worked in an office. I always arrived to work before anyone else and plowed through as much work as possible for a few hours and then became more relaxed. I had a co-worker comment that everyone knew not to bother me before 10 am. They thought I was in a bad mood every morning, but it was really just that I was taking advantage of my productive time.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
My best time is also eary am.I take the most difficult tasks head on early.The ones I was having problems with previously have to wait for that perfect moment and that is usually in the middle of my busy day with lots of tasks . I just interrupt whatever it is Im doing and go for the one I had trouble with.It does not seem right , but it does magic for me.I give myself minutes not hours to get it done and that''s it.Occasionaly it gives me trouble then I just leave it for an hour or so and try the same approach few hours later still when I m really busy.People are very surprised the way I can get the concentration under these circumstances, but it seems that I need to have little pressure to get it done.Then I do celebrate..

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 11:38:55 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I need dead silence with little or no distractions. No TV, no email, no radio, no coworkers. When I have a big manuscript to work on (I''m an editor) I put a screen over my cube, turn off my phone, and shut down my computer.

me too. Silence.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Written or graphic organization of what I need to do.

If I have a lot of tasks to do, I write them down and figure out what things can be done at the same time and try to find the best way to organize my time. Stuff I do all the time when the routine is going well can be organized in my mind. If there''s a change in routine or I get interrupted a lot I really need to organize on paper. When I don''t do that and I have a lot to do, I find myself going from one task to the other, not really finishing anything and getting a lot of things half done.

I really like to do things when no one is around to interrupt or distract me, but most of the time that isn''t possible.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i do my best work between 6 am and noon. after that I''m pretty much spent. i used to freak out my college roommates by getting up at 5 am drinking peet''s coffee and doing organic chemistry or calculus at that hour. always took morning classes.

now, as an adult, i get to work at 6 am. when i work i have to have a clean table, uncluttered or else i can''t focus on what I''m doing. i set timers and take a lot of breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results