shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens to all the low color stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
This may be a strange question, but I thought of this today. What happens to K and below color stones? It seems almost everyone wants and sells J or higher colored stones.....assuming it''s a new stone and not antique.

Are they sent to lower end stores where people are less likely to realize? "treated" and then sold that way?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my ER center is an L, bought it from a diamond dealer with a GIA report and all, new cut, not an antique. Love it to bits!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess would be it'd depend upon the clarity of the stone and how well it is cut. Many lower cut stones still have appeal if they are well cut and eye clean.

I was looking at the Jewelery Exchange website the other day and found loads of lower grade stones, like an X I1 .54 for around $200! lol They must be a market out there for those who have NO clue. I'd be curious to see what a 1/2 ct. $200 diamond looks like in real life!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all go to the maul stores and get sold as Hs.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
They are sent to the Island of Misfit Stones. Seriously, I purposely sought out and bought an "M" colored stone & love it. Lots of people like lower colored stones for different reasons........

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 10:10:45 PM
Author: kellyfish
They are sent to the Island of Misfit Stones. Seriously, I purposely sought out and bought an ''M'' colored stone & love it. Lots of people like lower colored stones for different reasons........
People assume lower cut stones are automatically bad! It basically goes back to the PS motto, "cut is king." Any color diamond has possibilities if it''s proportions are on target.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 10:09:59 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

lol
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep get sent too weak labs(cough cough egl-Israel, igi) for higher grades then sold in the malls and ebay.
The rest get sold preset as $399 specials.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
sold as H''s. that''s funny, but I think it''s true.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most diamond cutters of high cut-quality will try to avoid parcels of rough with lower colours, because there is no apparent demand there.

So, this rough mostly goes to other cutters with other strategies, for instance working for maximum weight retention, thus reaching specific lower price-points, and these stones might mostly end up without any grading report in pre-set jewellery all over the world.

However, we find that this situation opens opportunities, because where there is little apparent demand, and because of that almost no supply, demand might still beat supply. In other words, in our parcels of rough, we always have a small percentage of lower colours. When we cut them, these can be graded L, M or lower, we even had an R-grade. And retailers, who have the possibility to show these to their customers, often find that these sell relatively easily.

Live long,

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
i want one!!!! a well cut one, that is.....

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/15/2008 9:26:37 PM
Author:Cravin My Emerald cut
This may be a strange question, but I thought of this today. What happens to K and below color stones? It seems almost everyone wants and sells J or higher colored stones.....assuming it''s a new stone and not antique.

Are they sent to lower end stores where people are less likely to realize? ''treated'' and then sold that way?
We must not forget that PS world is only a (tiny) drop in the bucket as for the Diamonds, their quality and discussions.

The majority of Diamond out there being sold are naturally of lower qualities...

For instance..., some geographical areas in the Far East and Middle East have huge demands for low colored, high clarity Diamonds. These area''s have their own preference as what kind of lab. reports these Diamonds should come with.

Same for some middle America countries..., they purchase loads of lower quality Diamonds (both the color and purity''s).

I don''t (or really dont want to) believe that jewelers market m-n-o-p-q-r-s-t-u-v colors as H''s..., but its a big world out there and some probably (try) do.

BUT..., the majority of jewelers are not that unfair..., at least that what I like to believe!!!

A lot of extremely low quality Diamonds (lifeless Diamonds full of inclusions) do get color treated to Black. Blue, Green, Pink etc..., etc...! And are being currently used by a wide scope of designers from lower end jewelers to super high end jewelers...

And of-course there are these $399 per piece jewelers which buy out tons of low quality Diamonds for high carat weight mass production jewelry!
You see these type of jewelery advertised in all the National Papers scattered through out the US.

Now..., another issue..., the majority of "rejected" Diamonds are being used in the "industrial" segment...., NOTHING TO DO WITH JEWELRY!!!
But it is becoming less and less an issue as synthetics are taking over!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2008 9:21:33 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
... and there''s the occasional shy but innocent cape color (poor little soul) that''s graded FLY just to vex our friend DiaGem.
12.gif
AHHH!!! Thanks John..., but I tried to avoid stepping on the little toes again...
11.gif

But yes..., most of the dark cape''s try their luck at the GIA''s roulette of Fancy Colored Diamonds!!!
27.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock

hahahhaha!!!!!
5.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are people out there that like warmer stones...I think that there is someone out there, ready to love each and every one of them
36.gif

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 5:24:19 AM
Author: DiaGem
We must not forget that PS world is only a (tiny) drop in the bucket as for the Diamonds, their quality and discussions.

The majority of Diamond out there being sold are naturally of lower qualities...

For instance..., some geographical areas in the Far East and Middle East have huge demands for low colored, high clarity Diamonds. These area''s have their own preference as what kind of lab. reports these Diamonds should come with.

Same for some middle America countries..., they purchase loads of lower quality Diamonds (both the color and purity''s).

I don''t (or really dont want to) believe that jewelers market m-n-o-p-q-r-s-t-u-v colors as H''s..., but its a big world out there and some probably (try) do.

BUT..., the majority of jewelers are not that unfair..., at least that what I like to believe!!!

A lot of extremely low quality Diamonds (lifeless Diamonds full of inclusions) do get color treated to Black. Blue, Green, Pink etc..., etc...! And are being currently used by a wide scope of designers from lower end jewelers to super high end jewelers...

And of-course there are these $399 per piece jewelers which buy out tons of low quality Diamonds for high carat weight mass production jewelry!
You see these type of jewelery advertised in all the National Papers scattered through out the US.

Now..., another issue..., the majority of ''rejected'' Diamonds are being used in the ''industrial'' segment...., NOTHING TO DO WITH JEWELRY!!!
Well, now I''m worried! FF and I ordered my e-ring from Beaudry and it will have pink diamonds in it (melee). I did not ask if they were color treated. Should I be worried that they''re going to be dull (and that my setting will be dull as a result)?
32.gif
40.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2008 2:09:00 PM
Author: brooklyngirl

Date: 1/16/2008 5:24:19 AM
Author: DiaGem

Now..., another issue..., the majority of ''rejected'' Diamonds are being used in the ''industrial'' segment...., NOTHING TO DO WITH JEWELRY!!!
Well, now I''m worried! FF and I ordered my e-ring from Beaudry and it will have pink diamonds in it (melee). I did not ask if they were color treated. Should I be worried that they''re going to be dull (and that my setting will be dull as a result)?
32.gif
40.gif
Dont worry..., I dont think Beaudry deals with color treated Diamonds..., but it never hurts to know these things before hand...

What I meant in the above was..., for example, there is this extremely high end Geneva designer called "De Grisogono"..., He is known to use extremely flawed or black Diamonds as accents with very fine high quality Diamonds in one design..., part of a signature look...
2.gif
9.gif

Same goes for designs from DeBeers and Neil Lane...

So..., relax and enjoy the Beaudry ride.
31.gif

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! Thanks clarifying, DiaGem
21.gif

That''s really interesting about using low quality diamonds *on purpose*. I''ve never seen that before .

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 1:50:39 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
There are people out there that like warmer stones...I think that there is someone out there, ready to love each and every one of them
36.gif
Perhaps they should have special "adopt a lower color stone" events at shopping malls and supermarkets on the weekends, like adopting puppies and kittens?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They get sent to IGI or EGL Israel and come back as I'' and J''s. LOL.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, two killer AGS-0 K''s recently wound up on my ears!!!
30.gif
LOVE THEM!!!
36.gif

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
I sought out a lower color stone. I bought an M and I truly love it.After buying that one I decided I so love these low colors that I found myself a wonderfully cut .52ct T [graded by EGL USA so maybe its even lower color!!].It's a beauty! Gorgeous faint yellow color.
Eventually I plan on getting some Ls or Ms for earrings to replace my higher colored pair.If I can find a matching pair that is.It's much harder to find a pair of M's than J's it seems to me.
Hey!!! Maybe I can find another T to go with my little guy!!

I just do not care for white white diamonds [don't shoot me]but I surely do love a good cut.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2008 10:36:35 PM
Author: vivianv
I sought out a lower color stone. I bought an M and I truly love it.After buying that one I decided I so love these low colors that I found myself a wonderfully cut .52ct T [graded by EGL USA so maybe its even lower color!!].It''s a beauty! Gorgeous faint yellow color.
Eventually I plan on getting some Ls or Ms for earrings to replace my higher colored pair.If I can find a matching pair that is.It''s much harder to find a pair of M''s than J''s it seems to me.
Hey!!! Maybe I can find another T to go with my little guy!!

I just do not care for white white diamonds [don''t shoot me]but I surely do love a good cut.
I like hearing that...

Low colors dont mean they are not beautiful..., they sure are!!!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results