shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens if you sacrifice everything in a stone

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the time has come to set it. It was bought years ago, inclusions and freeform, price reflecting it; because I did not think i’d find a large enough blue Vietnamese spinel. This one is 2+ ct. A local gemologist looked at it and said that most of these stones were included anyhow. I never certed it. I hope it is not diffused.

But I think it is cobalt, and I feel it is not diffused. No filters, no manipulation with the photos. I saw a freeform pendant worn by Claudia Lynx and thought I s F56ABE7C-D4BA-47CC-893F-C5A6F6212949.jpeg hould do something equally simple. 2628445C-3DE1-4A5B-8931-1C2D53AF12CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D70AB44-C597-4110-BCC4-C322BED50BDC.jpeg
    2D70AB44-C597-4110-BCC4-C322BED50BDC.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 23

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That’s a beautiful color!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's gorgeous, they are almost always included and it's really rare to find one in that size. It looks like a Vietnamese cobalt in colour!!! If it was a number of years ago it might have been before they started to treat blue spinels.

It will make a gorgeous pendant and that will protect the tips of it too (rather than a ring).

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would sacrifice a lot for that gem. It is one of the best blue stones I have ever seen! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love love love

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO That is the most beautiful blue I’ve ever seen! :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's gorgeous, they are almost always included and it's really rare to find one in that size. It looks like a Vietnamese cobalt in colour!!! If it was a number of years ago it might have been before they started to treat blue spinels.

It will make a gorgeous pendant and that will protect the tips of it too (rather than a ring).

Dear @arkieb1,

First, I really regret missing your sapphire - I think it would have suited the one I have! (I am looking for a pair).

I always wanted to have a Vietnamese spinel, and eons ago, I tried one place (totally unknown to me but very high up, as I now know), and they said they did not have anything. Then I turned to a well-known website that sadly, is not in business any longer. Their best blue had been sold, and they had two pieces left, one very shallow, and one, this. I actually, bought both. My budget was very small. The vendor said he'd hate to recut it. He emailed me later and said, that he could not source out anything even of the size I bought anymore, only tiny ones. And then there were several other stones, and then they went out of business. I miss the website, btw.

Anyhow, it was years ago. My jeweler said he'd set it without any problems. It often takes him a long time, but I 100% rely on his technical skills. Thank you for the advise to protect the tips, I think it is a great idea.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sacrifice a lot for that gem. It is one of the best blue stones I have ever seen! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Thank you! Nothing is perfect, but the ethereal color.
I thought it was in the evening only, but at daytime with more sunshine it looks beautiful, too.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Nothing is perfect, but the ethereal color.
I thought it was in the evening only, but at daytime with more sunshine it looks beautiful, too.
I think a pendant setting would be perfect, and it looks a lot bigger than 2ct to me. :D

To halo or not to halo, that is the question! I'm leaning towards a halo of small, but very well cut, sparkly diamonds, just to outline and enhance that magnificent stone. Not that it really needs any enhancing! =)2

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a pendant setting would be perfect, and it looks a lot bigger than 2ct to me. :D

To halo or not to halo, that is the question! I'm leaning towards a halo of small, but very well cut, sparkly diamonds, just to outline and enhance that magnificent stone. Not that it really needs any enhancing! =)2

I am thinking of maybe a halo of red tiny spinels, or I have several Jedi spinels, use one of them on top, above the chain?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful, and even more striking with the red spinels. Are you just doing one color? Please consider using two colors in your pendant! I really envy the spinels you have. The times when they were cheaper in large sizes are now gone :cry2:.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking of maybe a halo of red tiny spinels, or I have several Jedi spinels, use one of them on top, above the chain?
<3 <3 <3 this idea!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The shape fits as the three point connection if Y necklace - if you like those... & reds could be everywhere on the chain & as the drop.

2p

IMPOSSIBLE BLUE

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, and even more striking with the red spinels. Are you just doing one color? Please consider using two colors in your pendant! I really envy the spinels you have. The times when they were cheaper in large sizes are now gone :cry2:.

Voce, I remember the times when we were debating whether a $200 Mahenge was a splurge or not, lol!

I think two colors are more interesting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shape fits as the three point connection if Y necklace - if you like those... & reds could be everywhere on the chain & as the drop.

2p

IMPOSSIBLE BLUE

Thank you!

A very interesting idea.

Reactions: AV_

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
that color is just unreal! that blue and the red... :kiss2::love::geek2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too beautiful to have it as a pendant, which is the obvious solution. I would have a modern designer put it in a ring so that I can enjoy it more often.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too beautiful to have it as a pendant, which is the obvious solution. I would have a modern designer put it in a ring so that I can enjoy it more often.

Thank you, Chrono! Chromotherapy it is called, what we are doing. :) Two things. 1) what do I do with the navette ring? 2) And, I can’t wear two rings on one hand, as with my work it looks too much. But deep inside, I feel you are right. Put in into a ring, and wear next to red spinel ring. And enjoy the color, and how it shifts.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Love the shape! You can do something interesting with it. I would also prefer ring so I could lovingly stare at it...er, I mean work while it flashes on my hand.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono- I would want to see that gorgeous color and would prefer it in a ring. A custom bezel in platinum would be my choice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would Prong set with custom v-prongs to protect those tips. I would love to see it with some black opal accents or a drop pearl. It screams pendant to me, but I understand why people are pushing for a ring.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would Prong set with custom v-prongs to protect those tips. I would love to see it with some black opal accents or a drop pearl. It screams pendant to me, but I understand why people are pushing for a ring.

TL, I was thinking, maybe on a mother-of-pearl layer?

By its form, it resembles a sail, or a leaf. I have two leaves made of nephrite (the top was quartz and chipped off), and two antique leaves made of gold, could be an underlayer. But this is where the fantasy leaves me.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color.
Who cares if it's included if you like it? Most natural stones are included. Part of their charm!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought sail as well. As a leaf, not as much. I think whatever you choose, you have to be careful of not losing the gem as a focal point since it is a delicate powder blue color. Unfortunately, I’m not Wallace Chan, so my creativity is pittance at this point, lol!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I remember this Co spinel....

This shape and color - a stone you never forget!! I was a vendor from east asia - think a Lady.

Not sure whether I am allowed to post the pic I have on my old ipad.

And before diffusion of spinel with Cobalt

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the time has come to set it. It was bought years ago, inclusions and freeform, price reflecting it; because I did not think i’d find a large enough blue Vietnamese spinel. This one is 2+ ct. A local gemologist looked at it and said that most of these stones were included anyhow. I never certed it. I hope it is not diffused.

But I think it is cobalt, and I feel it is not diffused. No filters, no manipulation with the photos. I saw a freeform pendant worn by Claudia Lynx and thought I s F56ABE7C-D4BA-47CC-893F-C5A6F6212949.jpeg hould do something equally simple. 2628445C-3DE1-4A5B-8931-1C2D53AF12CA.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL BLUE!!!! Definitely would be a wonderful color play next to the red spinel!! Im sure however you design the ring it going to be a knock out of colors!! Gorgeous!:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results