shape
carat
color
clarity

What gemstone is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepmars

Rough_Rock
I bought a gem but am not confident that it is beryl (morganite) as it was claimed to be. It could also be quartz or kunzite or colored glass? Maybe it''s natural or man-made? I will show it to a jeweller for verification but how do experts check composition of cut gems? Am I likely to get a definitive answer or is this not possible without damaging the stone?

Thanks,
Steve

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Where did you purchase the stone?

stepmars

Rough_Rock
From a small Brazilian trader that I didn't feel totally comfortable with, hence my question.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 7/22/2004 10:52:02 PM stepmars wrote:

how do experts check composition of cut gems? Am I likely to get a definitive answer or is this not possible without damaging the stone?

Thanks,
Steve----------------

The quality of the answer you get will depend on the knowledge and skill of the jeweler/gemologist. A yes/no on whether it's morganite should be simple: a quick test of refractive index should do the trick. The test is non-destructive. If it turns out not to be beryl...well, that's a different matter. Finding out what it truly is could involve many other non-destructive tests: specific gravity, single or double refraction including pleochroism and optic sign; spectroscopic examination, microscopic examination for characteristic inclusions; and lots more. The only test I can think of that might harm a gem is scratching it to test hardness, something that's never done except with rough gems.

stepmars

Rough_Rock
thanks richard. it turns out to be kunzite not morganite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results