shape
carat
color
clarity

What Ebayer Do You Trust

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering what ebayer store or person you trust. I already have my stone on hold from WF still waiting for the stupid tax refund but trying to save some money on the setting. Any help is appreciated.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you''ll find that eBay hasn''t fared so well with people here on the forum as a whole. In my experience, internet vendors are quite competitive with eBay vendors selling merchandise which is properly described so that buyers are actually able to determine what is being advertised. The initial perception of a difference in price is usually due to an actual difference in quality, not necessarily a difference in the price structure of the dealers due to a selling environment such as eBay.

In my experience, White Flash and other respected vendors here on PS, routinely offer a higher end quality of jewelry than can be found through auction services and this is reflected in price. Here''s an example of what I''m talking about using a "traditional solitaire" as an example. Since dealers are prohibited from advertising merchandise via the forum threads, I''m going to make up some prices - but I''m going to use actual product as an example.

Traditional six prong solitaire, Metal X, Finger size 6.5, half carat center stone:

Option 1: $200.00
Option 2: $250.00
Option 3: $345.00

Which one to choose? Well if we''re shopping by price alone, the obvious answer is Option #1 for $200.00 but what if the seller provides a little more insight:

Option 1: $200.00 an "economy" solitaire (also known as a light weight) which has a ring shank that measures about 2 mm in width at the top and 2 mm in width (2x2) and gradually tapers down to 1.5 mm in width x 1.0 mm at the bottom.

Option 2: $250.00 is a medium (or standard weight) solitaire which has a ring shank that measures about 2.5 mm in width at the top and 2 mm in width (2.5 x 2) and gradually tapers down to 2.0 mm in width x 1.0 mm at the bottom.

Option 3: $345.00 is a heavy comfort fit solitaire which has a ring shank that measures about 2.6 mm in width at the top and 3.5 mm in width (2.6 x 3.5) and gradually tapers down to 1.7 mm in width x 1.8 mm at the bottom.

All three options are "solitaires" but once the details of each item are explained "in detail" consumers can make an educated decision about which option is suitable for their needs and their pocket book. Regardless of whether you are purchasing from one of the well known vendors here on Price Scope or off of eBay, this type of information provides a level playing field.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Drinkin,
Todd''s post was great!

I do think it''s important to remember that sometimes trying to save money can be the most expensive option in the long run- especially on a ring which is suppoed to last a lifetime....

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Todd is spot on. Yes, you can buy cheaper settings on eBay; however, you get what you pay for.

If you *want* a cheaper setting that isn't premium quality, like a temporary-ish setting or a fun ring, it can be a great way to get a nice design that isn't like super loupe friendly but is pretty nevertheless. But, expect very lightweight settings with some flaws, not much hand workmanship, and some crap melee in some of the semi-mounts.

Some sellers that have that type of merchandise are Lord of Gem Rings, Oxforddiamondco, Bluefoxx, and probably a number of others. Lord of Gem Rings is one that I know a lot of pricescope members have used for right hand rings and such- if you check out the colored stone forum you should see some examples.

ETA: As far as melee goes, I think Lord of Gem Rings is probably a bit better than Oxforddiamondco- I have an Oxford setting that has totally included melee in it, but hey- I paid $200ish for a setting with .60cts of melee, so it's exactly what I expected to receive.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ib, go with WF please.
2.gif

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock
Well here is the problem that I might have the setting i want is an 18k trellis with knox offers but only in 14k for $590. I have read the difference between all of the metals. But the problem is that I cant afford the one from WF that resemebles it
32.gif

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock
the problem is that I am not sure I will get my tax refund back in time to get the setting

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't seem to find a less expensive option for you, and the Knox ring I saw was priced at $690 for 14K. I would definitely hold out for 18K though. I have rings in both 14K and 18K and the 18K is whiter and seems to hold its plating much better. Most designer rings will be 18K if they are white gold. Are you sure this is the right setting? You could save money with a different setting, unless this is the one that your g/f has already picked out. One more thing to keep in mind, and this may be a non-issue for some, a wedding band will not sit flush with an x-prong setting (if that is the style you're talking about). A straight band would sit with a slight gap and may wear away at the lower edges of the protruding prongs. They do make curved bands for this style, which may not be to your/her liking, but they are available. Again, this is just personal choice only. To really simplify things, if I were you, I would just hold out for the WF setting since they have the stone already.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Generally not that many. Best bet is to luck out and get Beverly K for $150. See here. Hehe.. I am such a tease.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ib, if you don''t have the money now for setting you really want, I would suggest not compromising. Instead, how about proposing with just the stone? Trust me, she will still be thrilled, and might even delight a bit in playing with the loose stone.
5.gif

Also, would she be interested in picking out a setting herself, with you? My hubby proposed without anything, and honestly, it took absolutely no joy out of it. We then picked the setting out together. Just a thought!
2.gif

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock
I was prob just going to get an inexpesive one from WF and upgrade it later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely get the setting from WF. My sister-in-law has there plain solitaire setting and it is very nice and inexpensive. Plus you don''t have any worries regarding having your stone damaged before it is insured if WF sets it.

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock
I just emailed chris from WF and asked once one he would suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results