shape
carat
color
clarity

What does wearing lipstick mean to you?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a gay man it might be understandable that I have always found certain "women stuff", such as lipstick, to be a bit of a mystery.
I stumbled upon this, and found it surprising ... and a bit alarming, particularly the labia reference.

Penny for your thoughts ... Truth, or nonsense?

Lipstick in Culture -- It's About More Than a Pretty Face​

Often lipstick is the first cosmetic that an adolescent girl is allowed to wear, usually in the form of a sheer gloss. Eventually it becomes part of many a woman's "uniform," to the point where she feels somehow incomplete or unfinished if she doesn't put it on. In fact, lipstick is most likely to be the only type of makeup worn if there's not the time or the desire to put on anything else. Lipstick does serve a purpose beyond looking pretty -- many of them do condition and protect the fragile skin on the lips. But other than its looks, why do women wear lipstick?

One theory is that it emphasizes a woman's sexuality. By amping up the color of the lips, a woman is subconsciously echoing the color of her vaginal lips, or labia, in an effort attract attention from men. Another theory points out that young girls' lips are generally brighter in color than older women's, so women apply lipstick in an effort to appear younger and more attractive. Some researchers take this idea a step further and believe that using lipstick marks a desire to return to an infantile "rosebud mouth." Perhaps in response to these theories, some women refuse to wear lipstick because they consider it a patriarchal trap.

However, wearing lipstick can also be very empowering for women. When it still wasn't generally considered "nice" for women to wear lipstick, women during the suffrage movement in the late 1890s and early 1900s wore it to defy the norm. The 1980s power-suit-wearing woman sometimes considered her lipstick as part of her armor as she struggled to make her way in the male-dominated corporate world. Today, women in patriarchal societies and those under religious law such as Iran are forbidden to wear lipstick.

Source:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear lipstick. I prefer my natural lip color.
Sometimes I wear clear lip gloss.

Nothing on my lips.
missysmile.png

Clear gloss on my lips.

missysmilecloseup.png

I never wore lipstick.
I never liked the way it looked or felt on me.

I think it looks beautiful on many women though and can see how it would be empowering.
My naked lips are empowering for me.
Women vary. :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear coloured lip gloss because, despite having very dark eyes and hair, I’m very pale, so I have to use blusher so I don’t look like the living dead, and if I wear blusher, without a colour on my lips my face doesn’t look balanced.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. I try not to think about the symbolism or origins behind women's grooming and dressing habits. It's such a nighmarish, no-win jumble if you start looking too closely. It just never ends. I just do what I like, the end.

Last edited:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have very seldom worn lip stick the only time I really do is if I am really dressed up like when my son got married...for the most part I only wear chapstick

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am usually bare-faced without any make-up, and would only eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and add some colour to my eyebrows when I go somewhere nice and not just down to the local pubs or eateries.

I tend to stick with one lipstick colour that I like, and bought in multiples in case it is discontinued.

I had experimented with really bright and bold lippy colours in the past, and did not feel they suited me.

I seldom wear lip gloss as I would just lick it off in no time.

I feel more "dressed" when I have make up on.

Full works to include foundation/powder and nail polish would only be for really dressy occasions nowadays, and they are far and between.

Not sure if I put on make up to make myself more attractive as such, however, it makes me feel good, and that's what matters to me personally.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear. I try not to think about the symbolism or origins behind women's grooming and dressing habits. It's such a nighmarish, no-win jumble if you start looking too closely. It just never ends. I just do what I like, the end.

I'm like you.
I also "just do what I like". :clap: ........ IMO, the best way to live.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard this about lipstick. Also, that blush mimics the flush women get after sex/orgasm.

I hate how lipstick feels. It also rarely looks good on me, as I have full lips and fair skin - it's just too bold, distracting, and unbalanced (even with other makeup).

I use lip balm, in part for how it feels and in part for the little bit of oomph it gives. I rarely wear makeup, and if I do, it's just blush, brown enhancer, and eyeshadow in a subtle, natural look palette. So the lipstick is not 'missing' on my face.

PS - I love the look on my DH's face when I have tried lipstick. I can't even describe it - it's as if his lids forget how to close and he's looking through me like he's seen a ghost. He never wants to say anything with regard to my appearance, as he respects that it is *my* appearance, but it's quite clear he is totally freaked out. Sometimes I put some on just for fun, and we have come to joke about 'here comes lips...' Seriously, it's like my whole face disappears and they're all you can see.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have very seldom worn lip stick the only time I really do is if I am really dressed up like when my son got married...for the most part I only wear chapstick

Me too..

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I go without makeup a lot of days, when I'm at home and especially in the summer, since I like to go to the pool every day. I also have "permanent makeup" eyebrows, eyeliner and lips.

That said, I feel most "together" with my full face on: under eye concealer, foundation, blush, brow pencil, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. The permanent makeup gets a bit covered by the foundation and is more subtle anyway, so I still put the usual cosmetics over it when I do my full face. I've been wearing makeup for years so it's just what I'm used to. However, I have never tried to make my mouth look like a vagina.

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bold richer lip color does enhance my eyes with contrast. I wear it occasionally. On a regular day I just use a colorless balm.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear makeup, including lipstick. Just lip balm.

There were just a few years when I did wear makeup: while I was working in a clinic that had only fluorescent lights and no windows. The lighting was extremely unflattering, and if I didn't wear makeup I looked dead. I got married during that period and wore a little makeup for my wedding.

You know what’s really funny to me is that I would never consider lipstick the one thing you apply when you don’t apply any other makeup, because I can’t apply lipstick without eyeliner.

eyeliner is my go-to everyday I-feel-naked-without-this makeup. Like I usually apply other stuff, but the eyeliner is sacrosanct. Lipstick is probably number two on that list because I like how it makes my lips look more pronounced and it evens out the colour (my lips are two different colours) but I would never apply it without eyeliner.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wearing lipstick means a messy face mask to me. I stopped wearing it during Covid and am content wearing chapstick now. The only reasons I wore lipstick were that I have very pale and dry lips. I never matched the lipstick color to my labia.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a lipstick person. Wear gloss if I am wearing makeup (very rare)

I do wear mascara every day . Don't know what that's trying to mimick, though...

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never understood the appeal of lipstick at all. It’s sticky and uncomfortable and doesn’t last. You’re always having to reapply it, too! And in these days of face masks it’s just a liability. I love a Lancome Juicy Tube for a bit of gloss and colour, but that’s it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wearing lipstick means nothing to me and I’m very particular about what lipstick I use, since it’s at your mouth and many can have toxic ingredients. I only use Ogee lip stain.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I love lipstick. I wear Tom Ford or Charlotte Tilbury. Neither bleed into lip lines & they last really well (if you are not the kind of gal who licks them off ) I have full lips & love the look of a coral or red lippy:cool2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear lipstick. I get horribly chapped lips, so lip balm & Vaseline have been in my pocket (& handbags & cars) for years. I also have very full lips, so if I have ever tried any on, I just look like a giant pouty mouth.

I do like to wear a tinted lip gloss though. When I say tinted, I'm talking nude colours only. It gives a nice long lasting sheen & keeps my lips moisturised.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I love lipstick, but tend to wear something sheer unless it’s a special occasion. Lipstick Queen is my fave!

Honestly though I skip it pretty often. I do wear a little under eye concealer, sweat resistant spf40 tinted moisturizer and mascara every day. I use a “tubing” mascara that won’t budge unless you wash it off with hot water so I ever get raccoon eyes. basically I need to be able to run for an hour in 80 degree weather and/or work 24 hours without makeup becoming a total mess :lol2:

bespokecarmel

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps it’s an age thing; perhaps it’s a Southern girl thing, but I am not dressed until I put on my lipstick. And yes, even underneath my mask.
But I’m also a believer that women do less to attract men with fashion, jewelry and cosmetic choices than to simply piss off other women

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never worn it or nail polish
i hate the feel of it
I wear foundations and eye shadows, eye liner etc but nothing on my lips
i do own some lipstick and also nail polish but its hardly even tried on before i wash it off
I have some black i onve got gor a Halloween party
i liked that but again didn't like the feel
its not the texture- its the weight
i can feel it heavy on my lips and nails
but i also hate sleeves and long pants
I do like pale lipsticks and blue nails

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results