shape
carat
color
clarity

What does this look like to you...chip or indented natural?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I am so deflated. I got my afghan tourmaline from Gene today and opened it very carefully with no mishaps. The first thing I noticed was how beautiful it was...the color is something I've been looking for for years and Gene's cutting is just unsurpassed. The second thing I noticed is there is a big problem with one of the corners on the pavillon side. What does this look like to you...a chip or indented natural? I can feel the rough surface with my fingers. I'm desperately hoping if its a chip it's something Gene can polish out. When viewed face up it adds a cloudiness to the corner yet I don't think the girdle is damaged which is strange. I don't have a loupe which is one of the reasons I took pictures so I can see it better.

110324afgtourm 001.JPG

110324afgtourm 003.JPG

afhtourm2 026.JPG

afhtourm2 021.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What does this look like to you...chip or indented natur

You might want to show it to Gene so that he can estimate how to fix it for you. Otherwise, you can probably return it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

You really need to look at it under a loupe.

I had a look at the photo on the website and you can see it quite clearly in the picture on the top left-hand corner. It maybe that it was priced accordingly.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

I really want to keep it and have it fixed or rest assured it's not threatening. I definitely will get in touch with Gene, I was just trying to figure out what I am looking at first. Gene is my favorite cutter...he is fantastically talented at coaxing the best out of a stone, very honest and fairly priced however I think maybe his nearsighted vision is not great because I have another tourmaline that he described as "loupe clean" with a hallow needle inclusion about 6mm long and clearly visible from a tilt. So maybe it's an inclusion that he missed which I don't mine as long as it's not a structural threat. My vision was 20/10 last test so I know everyone is not going to notice the things that would bug me.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Pandora|1300991107|2879168 said:
You really need to look at it under a loupe.

I had a look at the photo on the website and you can see it quite clearly in the picture on the top left-hand corner. It maybe that it was priced accordingly.

I do see a little white spot in the pic but I can't be sure that's it. I do think it was a good price but he made no mention of inclusions and gave it 9/10 for clarity so I don't think it was discounted because of inclusions.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Ah! I just had a revelation. I was actually photographing two different things on adjacent corners 1) the cloudiness visible on left and 2) the chip/natural I could feel with my fingers. The chip was the first thing I noticed but when I looked for it again I thought the cloud was it. Both are visible in the bottom pic. I think Gene was probably just working really close to the skin of the rough trying to make the most of a small stone.

tourm4 002.JPG

tourm4 001.JPG

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade

As a faceter it looks to me like damage from removing the stone from the dop stick before the adhesive was fully dissolved. I've done this before and it can pull little chunks out of the stone like that. Since it's the last step, it's also easy to miss because at that point you've put away the magnifying glass and are thinking about the next project.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Wow. I knew it had to withstand high heat but I had no idea adhesive was that strong. Since it's on the pavillon I'm not going to fret over it. Thanks Bobsiv!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kelpie,
Did you contact Gene about this? What was his response?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

I did but it he thought I was referring to the white spot..he said he would have lost too much weight if he cut it out.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I think the stone is lovely and that its something that no one besides you will likely ever notice, so I wouldn't worry either.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If Gene knew about it then I'm assuming it was priced accordingly?

If so, then the good news is that where it's located it may well be hidden by a prong. You just need to make the setter aware so that undue pressure isn't put on it during the setting process.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results