shape
carat
color
clarity

What does 14k1 mean?

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
99B481B5-FA30-44F7-964A-FCD44AFAE94E.jpeg 0F6D4263-7526-46AC-A4AF-3999980857EC.jpeg 2DA6FC9A-0EE3-4962-8F49-3BE2EE4A2EC7.jpeg 2B738361-9B69-4541-8E1A-A98C51C62448.jpeg I received this ring from my grandfather. He doesn’t remember who it belonged to. Presumably my grandmothers mother. They were from Ipswich, MA. I haven’t had time to go to a jeweler yet, but I was hoping someone had insight to this brand. It is stamped Kimberly and 14k1. The 1 is much tinier. I can’t find anywhere online the meaning of that.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
To your knowledge, is the ring truly "old"? I ask because Stuller makes 14k x1 gold, but I would expect to see the Stuller hallmark, which I don't see in your pics. Not sure if it is marked that way or not.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
My grandfather did not purchase it. That I know for sure. My grandmother (now deceased since 2013) had some jewelry in a lock box and we just went through it. Presuming it was my great grandmothers, I know she got married in 1922 and passed away unexpectedly in 1960. So the ring would be from between those years.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's an L or 1, it means gold filled if old and European made. If it's an I, it might mean from Italy. The see are all rather old and more uncommon marking methods. It may also be a makers mark. I'd get it tested.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
Here are 2 more photos that are a bit clearer of the 14k1
F3D7D4E1-E275-487F-A8E1-DF7481431C3F.jpeg B83A457A-BF1C-4F81-A714-EA5082A54B6A.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I’m not even sure it’s a real diamond! Can’t wait to make time to go to a jeweler and find out
Please report back here when you find out. The stone really interests me. It appears to have good light return and contrast patterns, high crown angle and reasonably small table.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
Does your last sentence indicate what is normal for diamond settings? I don’t have any knowledge of jewelry! I’m also interested in the band which reminds me of bamboo... my grandmothers brother was in the CIA and traveled all over the world. Thought also maybe he gave his only sister this ring?? Would something from an Asian county be stamped “Kimberly”? From google searches, I have found there was a Kimberly manufacturer in NYC that was part of Albert Lorsch and co.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating thread. Thank you, rockysalamander for your information. How did you know that? I love gold and I do not recall hearing that before.

Erin Gormley, why do you think the stone may not be a diamond? (Maybe because no one knows where it came from and the shank may be gold-filled.)

Not that it must be a diamond. I have two tiny stones in my original engagement ring that may not be diamonds. They may be white sapphires. They are only about 1 point each and it never occurred to me to ask what they are! If you have the stone tested, please do return and tell us more about it.

Deb/AGBF

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating thread. Thank you, rockysalamander for your information. How did you know that? I love gold and I do not recall hearing that before.

Erin Gormley, why do you think the stone may not be a diamond? (Maybe because no one knows where it came from and the shank may be gold-filled.)

Not that it must be a diamond. I have two tiny stones in my original engagement ring that may not be diamonds. They may be white sapphires. They are only about 1 point each and it never occurred to me to ask what they are! If you have the stone tested, please do return and tell us more about it.

Deb/AGBF
My grandmother was a jeweler. She dispensed with information about old and esoteric marks all the time. A few of those details stuck. The more common mark for gold filled is GF or 1/20, but she said some makers used that little line as the picture showed. Getting the ring tested is really the only way to know for sure. In this case, the fact that the maker is stamped on the other side, suggested to me that the mark is related to the gold.

The "Kimberly" mark does look very much like the Kimberly Gem Co. from San Francisco. They did make items in 14k and natural diamonds, but also many items with synthetic and alternatives to diamonds (like zircon and some less common alternatives) with gold filled rings. They did sell diamonds and a range of filled and not filled gold.

Relative to the bamboo detail...it does not indicate to me the region of origin. Bamboo is a fairly common motif. Tiffany has a pretty well known bamboo band and I've seen it on Edwardian rings.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have any idea how old it is? That would give us a clue as to what sort of fake diamonds might have been used. But older simulants are not really diamond-like enough to fool a trained eye, and most of them are quite soft--sometimes very soft. Vintage simulant rings in good condition are collectible and can be worth a fair bit of money.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock

If it came from 1922 when my great grandparents got engaged/married, they were not wealthy and from a small town in MA. It was between WWI and the depression. I just figured they didn't have the money for a real diamond. I could be wrong!

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
Do you have any idea how old it is? That would give us a clue as to what sort of fake diamonds might have been used. But older simulants are not really diamond-like enough to fool a trained eye, and most of them are quite soft--sometimes very soft. Vintage simulant rings in good condition are collectible and can be worth a fair bit of money.

My best guess is that it came from 1921/1922 when my great grandparents got married.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother was a jeweler. She dispensed with information about old and esoteric marks all the time. A few of those details stuck. The more common mark for gold filled is GF or 1/20, but she said some makers used that little line as the picture showed. Getting the ring tested is really the only way to know for sure. In this case, the fact that the maker is stamped on the other side, suggested to me that the mark is related to the gold.

Indeed those "details" did stick!

You are (at least to me) a hidden treasure, rockysalamander. I used to see you from time to time in Hangout, but I guess I never spent enough time in RockyTalky to see how much knowledge you had! Maybe everyone else already knew!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed those "details" did stick!

You are (at least to me) a hidden treasure, rockysalamander. I used to see you from time to time in Hangout, but I guess I never spent enough time in RockyTalky to see how much knowledge you had! Maybe everyone else already knew!

That's sweet of you to say. It's nice to be part of such a great community. My grandmother was very much of the "children should be seen and not heard" generation, so I did a lot of listening. I wish I had taken notes all those years ago as it would be so helpful now...

Sorry for the threadjack OP!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My best guess is that it came from 1921/1922 when my great grandparents got married.

Then either a semi-precious colored stone (we still call them colored, even when they are clear...) or a synthetic sapphire or spinel. Zircon would be most likely I think, but a zircon would probably be pretty beat up after ~100 years.

None of those will really look like diamond to a trained eye. A diamond tester would let you know for sure. I suspect it probably really is a diamond though.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
Update! I stopped by a jeweler on the way home from work yesterday. Having a couple issues with it. He said it is indeed 14k although he wasn't sure what the dash next to the k meant. ??? That's what I was inquiring about! He did rub the ring along something that looked like a black pad. He put it underneath a microscope and said it was not a diamond, but most likely a CZ. How would one know for sure what the actual stone is then?? Are there other tests that can be done? Also, I asked if he had heard of the manufacturer "Kimberly" before and he said it was probably from the 80s. Which nothing I have read on the internet says that company was around then. I'm very confused now! This jeweler has been in the business since 1977 for what it's worth

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go to a reputable appraiser to find out for sure.
The stone appears very diamond-like, with alternating brightness and contrast patterns.
Maybe it is CZ from the 80s, according to your jeweller. But it does not match your story that the ring is probably from between the 20s and 60s. In addition, did they really produce well cut and H&A-like CZs in the 80s?

I am not an expert in gemology or the history of jewellery, though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go to a reputable appraiser to find out for sure.

I agree with flyingpig. Don't fool around with any more "jewelers". Pricescope has a number of excellent appraisers who post here. I do not want to favor one over the other, because I believe that any that is sanctioned by Pricescope is going to be great.

I did have a personal experience with one, Dave Atlas, Oldminer. He checked out the stones in some pieces of jewelry sold to me (if I remember correctly ) as sapphires by a little antique shop in New England while I was on vacation. I think I mailed them to him. He is in Philadelphia. At least that is one of his locations.

Erin Gormley

Rough_Rock
Thanks! If anyone has a recommendation for someone in the Washington DC area, please let me know!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! If anyone has a recommendation for someone in the Washington DC area, please let me know!

Pricescope provides that. You start by clicking on "Resources" at the top of your screen.
Then you go "Pick a local appraiser".
You click on your region on the map and a list of approved appraisers comes up.
Sorry...I had to edit. Washington, DC had no approved appraisers listed, so I did this by hand since I know the area.

Here are two that are in Maryland, a stone's throw from The District:

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/davia_kramer
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/sherlene_bradbury

AGBF :wavey:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results