shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Sapphire?

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
6B39569D-E015-421D-8FC1-1C2DEA210167.png https://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-42-carat-rich-cornflower-blue-ceylon-sapphire/

I’m looking for a 7mm-9mm (if Oval) unheated rich medium blue Sapphire. I want that elusive cornflower blue everyone defines differently. Not sky blue, not too dark, just right, the Goldilocks of Sapphires. I want something with great color, really clean, and well cut. Budget could go to 6-9k for stone but I’d prefer under $4500.

I know that is a huge range but I want a high quality stone and prices seem all over the place. If I’m way off the reservation let me know.

I’m learning the terminology but I still don’t feel like I have the best eye especially given the photos some vendors provide. I’ve been able to eliminate stones but I don’t feel confident enough to go for it on any.

This one is on the small side of what I’m looking for but seems to check a lot of the other boxes.

I’d appreciate your insights! Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the lab report? AGTA enhancement code does not suffice. They haven’t done the lab reports in years. If it was re-cut after that lab report, if it does exist, it would need a new one. Can you get pictures and a video and in different lighting situations?

KonaLee

Rough_Rock

I have this video. Haven’t asked for a lab report yet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lighting is that in?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Looks not bright enough in that video lighting for me to call the color cornflower. Most cornflower blues look best in sunlight, so try to get a video or pictures in that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
46E98F05-134D-4F57-9D59-42D16B342A9B.jpeg
I think it looks more like a denim blue. I have a Tanzanian sapphire that color. I think metaphors used to describe color are subjective, but Lotus Gemological lab defines it as this color/saturation. That gem is grayer.

Last edited:

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I didn’t even think to ask. I assumed it was inside since there were floorboards and what looked like carpet.

I’ll ask for additional photos and lighting info. I’m trying to be discerning and the more I read and try to learn the more confused I get.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That eyewatering mid cornflower blue that EVERYONE asks for is currently selling for $5500 to $7500 per carat, so for an oval that size in the best mid cornflower colour wholesale at gem shows like Hong Kong small stones sell upwards of $10 000+ dollars. You can get stones that are medium with more purple like the one you posted above, that are paler (also like the one you posted above) and darker all that are also classified as cornflower that are way cheaper per carat. I sold the stone below to a lovely PSer, it came back from Lotus Lab as "medium" and "cornflower blue" when in reality it's up the darker end of what I personally consider cornflower. IMOH there is a wide variation on what is classified as "cornflower," prices are "all over the place" because there is such a wide range of what labs, industry and the general public accept and describe as actual "cornflower."

2.80 Cushion Inside Lightbox 1.JPG

Last edited:

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
Interesting. That is really helpful. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that online, for sale at least. I do live in Tucson. I’ve thought about holding off and waiting for the gem show so I can see things in person but I’m a little intimidated by it. I’ve gone before but never spent real cash and never for something meaningful to me.

I was drawn to this one because the cut seemed so precise and the colors jumped more than others I saw. I’ll get some additional photos. Again appreciate the input.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased a sapphire from Earth's Treasury. He has a good return policy if it turns out that you don't love it in person. You'll definitely want to make sure you love it in the lighting you'll be viewing it the most in.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... the price of something everyone wants before having seen!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. That is really helpful. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that online, for sale at least. I do live in Tucson. I’ve thought about holding off and waiting for the gem show so I can see things in person but I’m a little intimidated by it. I’ve gone before but never spent real cash and never for something meaningful to me.

I was drawn to this one because the cut seemed so precise and the colors jumped more than others I saw. I’ll get some additional photos. Again appreciate the input.

Well if you love the stone, that’s a different story, but I would definitely see about that lab report. Cornflower blue is just too subjective. It’s like “pigeon blood” for rubies, overused and meaningless The price on that stone seems fair, not a bargain, but a fair retail price if it truly is unheated and precision cut.

Any unheated sapphire, or any sapphire that costs over $500 a carat, should come with a reputable lab report. When stones are heated, you have to be particularly careful they’re also not beryllium diffused, and not all labs can properly test for that. BE-diffused sapphire is extremely inexpensive compared to even their heated only counterparts. If it is heated, the lab report should say something like heated and no additional enhancement.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says unheated, which means you are paying extra for it being "untreated". Given the price increase for unheated stones, I would want a lab report verifying that it's unheated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an ideal color (to me anyway), especially on the hand picture. But it comes at a super high cost. And I don't mind heat treatment, but you'd have to be comfortable with it . Plus AGL report included, which is nice. Obviously way over the 4.5k budget, but unfer 9!

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p362/2.55_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an ideal color (to me anyway), especially on the hand picture. But it comes at a super high cost. And I don't mind heat treatment, but you'd have to be comfortable with it . Plus AGL report included, which is nice. Obviously way over the 4.5k budget, but unfer 9!

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p362/2.55_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html
Stone is very deep though, so you’re not paying for a decent face up size, and the color is grayish in the studio shots, but much more saturated in the hand???? Is the color shift that strong??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone is very deep though, so you’re not paying for a decent face up size, and the color is grayish in the studio shots, but much more saturated in the hand???? Is the color shift that strong??
I'd ask for a video for sure. Just to better understand how the color looks in different lights.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s kind of dark though??

Don’t you think???
Another case where I'd need a video. Dana's photos often don't do his stones justice. But yeah, I'd want to be sure it doesn't black out.

Here are some options from gemfix. Make sure to watch videos, since they give a better idea of color than the pics. Starting with my personal favorite.

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1322

This is a close 2nd favorite. Or maybe even tied with above. Such a nice color.
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1328

I like this one too, but it might not be as "pure blue" as you want
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1265

Reactions: T L

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I've seen that MCG sapphire in real life! It is GORGEOUS, the most intense blue color I've ever seen in a sapphire. It is also very sparkly and has blue flash even in lower light.

Having said that, it is a more royal blue color than what I'd consider the OP is asking for with "cornflower" -- honestly, who knows what that word means, but I would consider "cornflower" medium tone and this one is more of a medium-dark tone. I only didn't keep it because I was looking more for a medium-toned sapphire, and also because the shape is a little more elongated than I was looking for. But for anyone who is looking for a royal blue sapphire I would definitely recommend it.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock

I've noticed this a lot with Finewater's studio vs. hand shots. For some reason the studio shots are a lot lighter across the board and seem to lose some saturation in the blues (and maybe gain saturation in the reds?). After seeing a couple of gems in person, I don't think it's a color shift in the gem, or at least not primarily that, I think it's at least somewhat color shift in the way the camera perceives the lighting. Anyway, good thing he has a good return policy :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed this a lot with Finewater's studio vs. hand shots. For some reason the studio shots are a lot lighter across the board and seem to lose some saturation in the blues (and maybe gain saturation in the reds?). After seeing a couple of gems in person, I don't think it's a color shift in the gem, or at least not primarily that, I think it's at least somewhat color shift in the way the camera perceives the lighting. Anyway, good thing he has a good return policy :)
....or the dark background in the studio shots messes with the color balance?? I think gems should be viewed against a lighter background personally. Yes, he’s a no risk vendor.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
These are all gorgeous.... I missed the notifications and didn’t see the posts from you guys... new to this interface so I apologize.

I did go ahead and order a Sapphire that should be arriving tomorrow. In the still photo it looks unimpressive (dull maybe?) but something about the videos kept drawing me back in. I’m super excited and a little nervous too.

I’m not in a hurry so I’m going to find a Sapphire that sings to me. I think originally I was hung up on Unheated and top color because I was nervous about making a mistake when spending such a large sum of money. Now I’m feeling like I know what is beautiful and when I see it I’ll know.

The underside of this one has me a little concerned, it seems deep, and there is definitely some extinction at different angles, but I couldn’t stop watching the videos so I took that as a sign and went for it.

https://www.gemrite.com/gems/237-blue-sapphire-483-cts.html

I also wound up ordering this Spinel on impulse. I saw it and was so drawn to the color I had to have it. Now after watching the video a million times I’m wondering if that is a window. I don’t know if I overpaid and I don’t know much about Spinels but it makes me think of an Arizona sunset and I hope I did okay.

With both I have an inspection period so I think I’ll probably take them in to get appraised/assessed if I’m happy with the color in person.

https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-350

I’ve learned so much just from lurking around these message boards. I am super thankful that this community of ‘treasure hunters’ exists.

If you see any red flags with these purchases please do bring them to my attention as well.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all gorgeous.... I missed the notifications and didn’t see the posts from you guys... new to this interface so I apologize.

I did go ahead and order a Sapphire that should be arriving tomorrow. In the still photo it looks unimpressive (dull maybe?) but something about the videos kept drawing me back in. I’m super excited and a little nervous too.

I’m not in a hurry so I’m going to find a Sapphire that sings to me. I think originally I was hung up on Unheated and top color because I was nervous about making a mistake when spending such a large sum of money. Now I’m feeling like I know what is beautiful and when I see it I’ll know.

The underside of this one has me a little concerned, it seems deep, and there is definitely some extinction at different angles, but I couldn’t stop watching the videos so I took that as a sign and went for it.

https://www.gemrite.com/gems/237-blue-sapphire-483-cts.html

I also wound up ordering this Spinel on impulse. I saw it and was so drawn to the color I had to have it. Now after watching the video a million times I’m wondering if that is a window. I don’t know if I overpaid and I don’t know much about Spinels but it makes me think of an Arizona sunset and I hope I did okay.

With both I have an inspection period so I think I’ll probably take them in to get appraised/assessed if I’m happy with the color in person.

https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-350

I’ve learned so much just from lurking around these message boards. I am super thankful that this community of ‘treasure hunters’ exists.

If you see any red flags with these purchases please do bring them to my attention as well.

Kudos to you on the bolded.
The gemrite one has a history.
I'll come back with the thread to attach when I can find it.
Take the info for what it is and you can go from there with a decision that suits you best.

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
Thank you!....a Sapphire with a past. I appreciate any and all information you have.

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
I paid $6600

KonaLee

Rough_Rock
If it’s damaged or a natural thing that should be easy enough to evaluate, not for me but for a local expert. I appreciate the heads up.

I’m more concerned about the color now, it seems so different than the videos. Gray and blah. I was drawn to this one because I though the stone was interesting in both videos with different lighting.

I need to figure out a way to keep sunshine on Sapphires all the time like Olaf’s personal flurry in Frozen.... (I live with little people).

I’ll see it tomorrow and update. The hunt may still be on....

Thanks again! You all are like gemstone fairy godmothers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results