shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ring....

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
8A46C372-37F7-407B-9BA1-E130F3AEB919.jpeg 7FF6F7B0-562F-4B6C-AA53-3C0684EF9C63.jpeg 7C1ABE0E-FDDA-4D23-BC0A-B85AFA6861A2.jpeg 56FACCC3-E0B2-45E5-A38F-23E28FCEC853.jpeg 35849D7C-5775-43C3-87E1-2581EF48337E.jpeg Hi ladies, so we had purchased are setting this past weekend. I decided to go with 14 K White Gold instead of rose gold. The setting total is 1.1 carats and can hold between a one and 1.25 carat diamond. It has a CZ in it right now until we purchase the diamond. My question to you is does it look like a decent setting? Does the diamond sit up too high, and is it possible to have more prongs added so the diamond for it to be more secure?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
8A46C372-37F7-407B-9BA1-E130F3AEB919.jpeg 7FF6F7B0-562F-4B6C-AA53-3C0684EF9C63.jpeg 7C1ABE0E-FDDA-4D23-BC0A-B85AFA6861A2.jpeg 56FACCC3-E0B2-45E5-A38F-23E28FCEC853.jpeg 35849D7C-5775-43C3-87E1-2581EF48337E.jpeg Hi ladies, so we had purchased are setting this past weekend. I decided to go with 14 K White Gold instead of rose gold. The setting total is 1.1 carats and can hold between a one and 1.25 carat diamond. It has a CZ in it right now until we purchase the diamond. My question to you is does it look like a decent setting? Does the diamond sit up too high, and is it possible to have more prongs added so the diamond for it to be more secure?
I would highly advise against purchasing a setting until you have your stone picked out, especially in a fancy shape (pear)! You are limiting your stone options and well performing fancy shape are harder to find and require more wiggle room

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As to the setting we would have to know the cost to say whether it is a good value.

No, could not add more prongs to this setting.

My personal preference is for a halo to have a slight tilt and for the stone to sit more encased in the halo. But that is just my preference and you might prefer a different aesthetic.

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would highly advise against purchasing a setting until you have your stone picked out, especially in a fancy shape (pear)! You are limiting your stone options and well performing fancy shape are harder to find and require more wiggle room

We have already purchased it and aren’t in any rush so finding the perfect diamond isn’t a problem. My FMIL suggested the stone first but just happen to see it and fell in love. Fingers crossed.

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
As to the setting we would have to know the cost to say whether it is a good value.

No, could not add more prongs to this setting.

My personal preference is for a halo to have a slight tilt and for the stone to sit more encased in the halo. But that is just my preference and you might prefer a different aesthetic.

Hummmm....I’m just worried that we purchase a diamond and it falls out. I don’t have any options with this setting? It was $1400, got it for $1000.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would return it and search for your stone first. For me the stone will sit up too high. If you are planning on wearing this every day it will get knocked around a bit. It's better to have a setting made that fits the stone very well. For safety of the stone and looks. That's just my opinion.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with others who suggest returning the setting. By committing to a setting before a diamond, you are vastly limiting your selection in diamonds. And in your case, it sounds like you are already concerned with the height and prongs of this setting. There is no benefit in buying the setting first. GL!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What everyone else said - stone first, setting after.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto all the others as well about returning the setting and finding the stone first. Pears come in ALL sorts of sizes & shapes (chubby, elongated, etc.) and even a slight fraction of a millimeter in size difference can make it an unsafe setting for a pear shape. I would also want a pear stone to be held by more than just three prongs if it’s not a V-tip ... one small snag on that prong, and the stone is a goner!

I’d rather spend $2K on the right setting for a stone that was secure than feel like I got a deal only to potentially be left heartbroken due to a lost diamond that took me months/years to find to fit it.

Just my $0.02. :wavey:

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you ladies. I did just speak with the jeweler again and my mind is at ease. I am going to keep the setting and work with them to ensure a great diamond match.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Its a lovely setting! The halo stones have a nice presence to them. Why not see if your jeweler can convert this to a bezel setting (not sure if that is possible) or has a similar one with a bezel. Then you will get the setting and security you want.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies. I did just speak with the jeweler again and my mind is at ease. I am going to keep the setting and work with them to ensure a great diamond match.

Just curious, is this the same jeweler who you bought the setting from? Or was it that jewelry store’s bench person you spoke to?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. :)) And I like the size of it.

If you're not planning to go custom, I'm not addicted to the idea of buying the stone first and then the setting. Companies like Blue Nile and James Allen make their settings in a finite number of sizes and fit stones to the settings later, and most people have no problem with it.

$1000 doesn't seem like a great price for it, but it doesn't seem like a bad price either, tho it's more or less impossible to tell without knowing what quality melee has been used in the setting.

No, you won't be able to add more prongs without really chewing up the setting - if you can do it at all. So I wouldn't even try.

As for diamond height - the CZ in the photo is sitting waaaay too high for my liking, but that's because it's a shade too large. If you want a diamond that sits lower, find out the dimensions of the CZ and look for a diamond smaller than those dimensions. I've done this exact same process with earring jackets - tried multiple sizes till I found the stone that sat at the right height - which for me means lower. Can't stand it when the diamond dangles miles above the setting; it just ends up looking disconnected and silly. A 1/4 of a mm in both directions can make a big difference in this.

Good luck!

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
I like it. :)) And I like the size of it.

If you're not planning to go custom, I'm not addicted to the idea of buying the stone first and then the setting. Companies like Blue Nile and James Allen make their settings in a finite number of sizes and fit stones to the settings later, and most people have no problem with it.

$1000 doesn't seem like a great price for it, but it doesn't seem like a bad price either, tho it's more or less impossible to tell without knowing what quality melee has been used in the setting.

No, you won't be able to add more prongs without really chewing up the setting - if you can do it at all. So I wouldn't even try.

As for diamond height - the CZ in the photo is sitting waaaay too high for my liking, but that's because it's a shade too large. If you want a diamond that sits lower, find out the dimensions of the CZ and look for a diamond smaller than those dimensions. I've done this exact same process with earring jackets - tried multiple sizes till I found the stone that sat at the right height - which for me means lower. Can't stand it when the diamond dangles miles above the setting; it just ends up looking disconnected and silly. A 1/4 of a mm in both directions can make a big difference in this.

Good luck!

Sorry just came back to PS now. Yes, I am going to go smaller then the CZ that’s in it now to have a lower setting. I spoke to the jeweler again (where setting was purchased, not bench person) It’s a family owned business that’s been there for many many years, and that’s what he suggested. I’m feeling pretty confidant. I am in love with the setting and the chunkieness (is that a word? Lol) in it.

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
Its a lovely setting! The halo stones have a nice presence to them. Why not see if your jeweler can convert this to a bezel setting (not sure if that is possible) or has a similar one with a bezel. Then you will get the setting and security you want.

I’m not crazy about bezel setting but thanks for the idea. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Family owned business, no bench person.

You seem to have your heart set on this setting, so I’m truly not trying to rain on your ring parade or anything ... but if the jeweler doesn’t have a bench person on-hand to opine on what will be required to make this setting work safely/securely, and/or he/she is not the actual goldsmith/benchperson him/herself, I would be quite leery about proceeding with this. Family-owned business or not - it’s your money, and regardless of what your budget is, you should proceed only after being fully informed by a qualified benchperson ... not someone just looking to make a sale.

That’s all I’m going to say about it ... good luck! :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me as one of the few who thinks it’s gorgeous. It looks to me that it appears too high because the cz is not set, but sitting on top. When the set the prongs it will look lower. My son did what you did against my advice. His gf was set on a tacori setting that was at in a estate case. It held a “1 ct “ emerald cut. Try finding a 1 ct emerald that fit the dimensions! It took a month. It would have taken anything from a spread .96 to a deep 1.21. In the end we found a 1.02 but it was a pain. Good luck with your beautiful ring!

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
You seem to have your heart set on this setting, so I’m truly not trying to rain on your ring parade or anything ... but if the jeweler doesn’t have a bench person on-hand to opine on what will be required to make this setting work safely/securely, and/or he/she is not the actual goldsmith/benchperson him/herself, I would be quite leery about proceeding with this. Family-owned business or not - it’s your money, and regardless of what your budget is, you should proceed only after being fully informed by a qualified benchperson ... not someone just looking to make a sale.

That’s all I’m going to say about it ... good luck! :wavey:

I think maybe I am confused as to what a bench person is lol.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe I am confused as to what a bench person is lol.

The person who actually completes any metal work, sets the stone, makes modifications to the setting to fit the stone, etc. That is the ‘benchperson’.

The ‘jeweler’ (IMO) does the selling.

Sometimes they can be both, so I do NOT mean to undercut or undermine some ‘jewelers’ out there who by virtue of their years in the industry, experience, and working closely with benches, have significant knowledge about what a setting can/cannot handle and can speak to those things. But the average “ma & pa family jewelry business” jeweler (e.g., sales person) - if I have not had them complete any custom work for me before - no, I don’t think I’d rely too much on their opinion of a setting’s limitations, especially if their business did not fabricate it.

But that’s just me and my experience, as I’ve had “ma & pa” jewelry stores try that one me in the past, and they were dead wrong ... to the expense of my wallet.

MrsKissel9623

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for explaining that to me. The person who sold me the setting isn’t the same person who does the metal work, at least I don’t believe so. I’m not sure if she does as well? The brother Robert does and he was their that day and we spoke to him in person as well as spoke to him on the phone about my concerns.
I’m pretty positive it will all turn out ok. Thank you for all your knowledge and concern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results