shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Pear? W PHOTO

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
After 12 years together I've finally decided to propose (I should have 10 years ago :)) . Don't know much about diamonds - what do you think of this pear shape for my soon to be fiancee.

Here are the GIA stats:

Carat 1.7
Color G
Clarity VVS2
Dimensions 10.00 x 6.67 x 4.37
L/W 1.5
Table 58%
Depth 65.5%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Strong Blue
Cutlet None
Girdle Medium-Thick

photo-20131225-130028_1.jpg

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Re: What do you think of this Pear? W PHOTO Please help!

Congrats! (& better late than never :wink2: )

The pear looks beautiful! Have you seen it in person? I love the flour, just make sure it doesn't affect the brilliance.
VVS2 might be overkill, but if the price works for you, I'd say go for it. I'm a bit pear-biased, I love my pear engagement ring w/ fluoro.

Most importantly, are you able to see it?

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
Thanks Waking!

I'm considering buying this from one of the leading online retailers - the local jeweler is 3x the price for an equivalent diamond and setting - there are very few B&M options in my town and they only had very small pears in stock and would have to order in a diamond.

I haven't seen the diamond in person, but they sent me a video (I tried to post it but it didn't work) + they have a 30 day return policy. You are right I can't know for sure until I have the diamond in front of me.

The setting will be similar to this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...ch?v=QDOblRB18PI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen an aset? I wish you could get the video to post.
its really hard to tell anything from that photo except it does look like it has a nice shape.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
beautiful it is a beautiful stone and a cool setting. Is your GF obsessed with pear shaped stones like we are (my first ER was a pear and I have earrings and a pendant to match. )

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1388007001|3580431 said:
its really hard to tell anything from that photo except it does look like it has a nice shape.

Thanks TyTy, I didn't know what Aset was but just googled it. I will follow up with the Rep and see if they are able to provide an Aset image. Any idea how I can post a video? - I searched for a thread on instructions but couldn't find anything.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
YEXACTLY|1388024546|3580524 said:
tyty333|1388007001|3580431 said:

Thanks TyTy, I didn't know what Aset was but just googled it. I will follow up with the Rep and see if they are able to provide an Aset image. Any idea how I can post a video? - I searched for a thread on instructions but couldn't find anything.

You have to upload the video to YouTube or something similar and then post the link using website[ /url] with no space before /url.

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1388020995|3580491 said:
beautiful it is a beautiful stone and a cool setting. Is your GF obsessed with pear shaped stones like we are (my first ER was a pear and I have earrings and a pendant to match. )

Thanks Heididdl.

Yes, she told me she always wanted a pear - initially, I tried to talk her out of it because I heard round was the way to go. But, after having spent some time looking at the pear shape, I really love it too -it's a beautiful shape but also something a little different. Matching earrings and a pendant are a great idea for gifts in the future!

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
smilligan|1388024673|3580528 said:
You have to upload the video to YouTube or something similar and then post the link using website[ /url] with no space before...is the video: [url]https://vimeo.com/82696806

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely and with a 30 day return policy I would go for it. Just a faint bow tie which is hard to find a pear without a bow tie. Would be great to get an ASET. Hope its the one.

I love pear cut diamonds.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty diamond. I think pear shaped diamonds are very elegant.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a hard time viewing the video (it kept shutting off and I had to restart). I would have it sent to you before having it
set. Make sure its what you want/like. Nice pears are hard to find and definitely take a lot of hunting. I like the shape but
I'm not to sure about the faceting pattern. The picture is just not a good picture and due to the focus the video didnt help
much either.

I am going to post some pictures/videos of pears that I think have nice faceting pattern. I'm just posting them so
that you can see what *I* think a nice pattern is. I didnt find any that really stood out as perfect in my eyes. This
way when you get the stone you can do a little comparison.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/?ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&ps=15&DiamondID=74158,242466,149710,177839,221979,251033,159547

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
wakingdreams53|1388042327|3580640 said:
I could swear it has a brown tint.... like GOG's pear here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uIKhU5yvc
That would be my biggest concern. Find out from the rep if that's the case in real life.

I think you may be on to something.

If this diamond graduates to brown, it raises so many questions. Here are some that come to mind:

-Should I stop considering the diamond altogether? I just read some threads on the forum where some people think that brown is better than yellow for a white diamond and is a great value. This diamond costs a little over $10k (which is the extent of my budget) and is ~20% cheaper than anything equivalent on paper - though nobody told me it graduated to brown - I thought I was getting a good deal.

-How will the diamond appear in the setting? I really want to get the setting (see above) in platinum. Will the diamond appear white in platinum or will it be noticeably darker/different ? Would the diamond be more attractive in a rose gold setting?

-Since the diamond has a strong blue fluorescence, would that play a role in how the diamond will appear under different lighting conditions? I'm no expert but It seems to me that it may be complexity on top of complexity.

From all the Pear diamonds I've considered, this diamond has far and away the best cut. Whoever cut this diamond did a masterful job! I really don't want to give up on it. I may have to, depending on what the answers to the questions are...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think this cut is a masterful cut then you must be seeing something I'm not seeing. There are a ton of ulgy pears out
there and this one may be the prettiest of the bunch you have seen but it by no means looks like an outstanding pear in my
eyes.

Could other posters that think it is beautiful please let me know what you are seeing?

Can you tell us in more detail what you like about the stone? It does have a lovely shape but beyond that I am having a hard
time finding much positive to say. Diamonds (especially fancy cut) are notoriously hard to photograph (so maybe they are
having a hard time getting a good shot/video). I went to my other computer to watch the video and still wasnt that impressed.
Someone would really have to convince me that it looked so much better in person for me to consider it.

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1388071615|3580741 said:
Can you tell us in more detail what you like about the stone?.
TyTy I am a lamen in every sense of the word. I based my comments on what I thought was under the cutters control:
- shape of the diamond (almost every other pear I've seen has a problem with shape to some degree)
- excellent polish
- excellent symmetry
- no cutlet
- medium-thick girdle
-65.5% depth which falls exactly in the middle of what is optimal for a pear (between 62% - 68%)
-58% table which again falls within the range of what you want to see

I know next to nothing about diamonds, I have just been going off of what I can get my hands on to read. :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YEXACTLY - Almost everything you stated is from the specs (report). Unfortunately, with fancy cut stones they can only
give you a hint of whether the stone may be worthy of further review. As a previous prosumer on this forum used to say
they give you a dotted outline of the stone but you are missing most of the important decision making factors that can only
be determined by seeing the stone in person (and knowing what to look for), lots of good pictures of the stone, or a really
good video of the stone.

I dont feel like you have a good picture of the stone. It doesnt clearly show the faceting pattern. If thats the "best" the stone
looks than I dont think its that great of a stone. Same goes with the video. Unfortunately, stones are hard to photograph/video
and I truly feel for vendors in that aspect. Some have it down much better than others. I would want to hear from the vendor
that this stone does have a lovely faceting pattern (very subjective) and looks much better in person.

BYW - I do not know who this stone belongs to (not playing favorites). We all make tradeoffs (color, clarity, size etc) but a
bright stone with a pretty faceting pattern is not something I would give up on. If you find this stone intrigues you, have it
sent out to you for a closer look. I think I have put in all of my 2 cents so II'll be wishing you happy stone hunting!

YEXACTLY

Rough_Rock
Thank you tyty. Based on your advice I have decided not to buy this diamond. I don't want to make a mistake that I will likely regret later.

Thanks again to all you regs who helped me greatly - I really appreciate it! I'll post again when I find the next prospective stone.

Ciao for now...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results