shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this OEC?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m looking at a few OECs and I’m still learning what to look for in these old cut beauties. I have read a lot on PS about them from very knowledgeable PSers. Here is an OEC that I am looking at. I can’t seem to upload the videos. I will try again in a bit.

9D2A873D-5C88-4079-9408-0328D2AFB0CC.jpeg
19BE8FBD-0839-448B-9FDF-B1ED8A5A9888.jpeg 14B4FF6E-8634-4387-A67E-4E3C2414C713.jpeg 9313786A-1CE6-477C-B181-BC6F784C953F.jpeg

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Some ASET images of the diamond.

03BA46F5-D927-449A-96DD-49766347B37E.jpeg E74ED33C-8ED0-4C49-97CB-D54F51D99CDF.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you see it in person and compare it to other old cuts? Do you have any other photos showing the diamond in more natural viewing conditions? There is a chance it will be lazy/slow/dark under the table.

ETA: To be clear, these are very aggressive photos of an old cut diamond. Most old cuts cannot stand up to this kind of scrutiny, and most old cuts of this make have a little bit of laziness or leakage under the table area when viewed straight on. This is why you need to use your eyes -- and educate your eyes -- to evaluate cut quality in old cut diamonds.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can you see it in person and compare it to other old cuts? Do you have any other photos showing the diamond in more natural viewing conditions? There is a chance it will be lazy/slow/dark under the table.

ETA: To be clear, these are very aggressive photos of an old cut diamond. Most old cuts cannot stand up to this kind of scrutiny, and most old cuts of this make have a little bit of laziness or leakage under the table area when viewed straight on. This is why you need to use your eyes -- and educate your eyes -- to evaluate cut quality in old cut diamonds.

Thank you. I definitely can tell a difference between my AVR and this OEC, which I don’t mind as I know an OEC is not going to have perfect optics. I am not able to see OECs in person. The videos don’t look bad. I do see some leaking under the table in the videos. I’m also in contact with another vendor. I’m going to see what he sends me. It’s difficult purchasing and OEC with just pics and videos but I am determined to find a good one.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you plan on setting it? This stone has a very thin to medium girdle. You might want to find out how much of the stone has "very thin". If its a lot
of the stone then it may work out better in a bezel (to protect the girdle from more chips).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have they given you any good clear pics of this stone on the back of a hand? To see in comparison of these magnified ones?

Attachments

• IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 112
  • You_Doodle_2019-04-29T17_04_55Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2019-04-29T17_04_55Z.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 115
  • You_Doodle_2019-04-29T17_05_42Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2019-04-29T17_05_42Z.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 115

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Is the color of the stone really that peachy-pink?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How do you plan on setting it? This stone has a very thin to medium girdle. You might want to find out how much of the stone has "very thin". If its a lot
of the stone then it may work out better in a bezel (to protect the girdle from more chips).

I was going to put it in a thin bezel to protect the girdle.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm noticing that picture 1 and 3 are both tilted slightly so the table is not being viewed straight on... this is common when trying to make a diamond with under-table issues look its best ;)2 The issues we are talking about are usually disappear or are minimized at a tilt angle. Which, for the record, is who most of us commonly view our diamonds when worn -- and that is why this is not necessarily a "deal breaker". Still, the second photo does show a fair bit of darkness under the table (notice how most of the pavilion mains are dark and only a few are lit up?), and it is the one that is the most "straight on" view of the stone.

Can I ask -- why are you looking for an antique diamond specifically? You have an AVR... it has ideal optics. So why an antique? Have you considered other makes of old cuts? Answering these questions might help your search.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm noticing that picture 1 and 3 are both tilted slightly so the table is not being viewed straight on... this is common when trying to make a diamond with under-table issues look its best ;)2 The issues we are talking about are usually disappear or are minimized at a tilt angle. Which, for the record, is who most of us commonly view our diamonds when worn -- and that is why this is not necessarily a "deal breaker". Still, the second photo does show a fair bit of darkness under the table (notice how most of the pavilion mains are dark and only a few are lit up?), and it is the one that is the most "straight on" view of the stone.

Can I ask -- why are you looking for an antique diamond specifically? You have an AVR... it has ideal optics. So why an antique? Have you considered other makes of old cuts? Answering these questions might help your search.

I’m either going to sell or put the AVR in a pendant. I’m looking to upgrade to a bigger diamond. My budget is $8000. I have looked at many different cuts. If I can’t find a nice OEC, I will look at other options.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can do better. My gut says there is too much leakage under the table.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I agree, too much leakage for me. I think it would bug me. Especially since you will have the image of your avr in your mind.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing anything but the pictures,
This new one looks more attractive to my eye than the one posted Monday.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the new one more than the old one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This new one is much better. notice how bright the central facets are, even in a straight on photograph? Needs to be evaluated in person but showing good promise.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This new one is much better. notice how bright the central facets are, even in a straight on photograph? Needs to be evaluated in person but showing good promise.

Yes, I see the difference. What do you think of the one @elizat posted?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a video of the new one? What is the size and color? It looks warmer than the first one, but the lighting is completely different so it’s hard to compare.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the faceting of this new one a lot

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you have a video of the new one? What is the size and color? It looks warmer than the first one, but the lighting is completely different so it’s hard to compare.
I do have a video but PS isn’t letting me post it. I may try to do so from my computer. Yes, the new one is warmer at an M but I am going to put it in yellow gold either as a thin bezel or the 6 prong crown solitaire.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
M from GIA or EGL? I bring this up because there's no way on this round earth mine are j/k as they are graded by EGL. And that's fine as long as the price is evened out.
I still think you should bring both stones in at the same time. Work it out so you purchase right after your credit card billing statement closes out for the month if you need to. You'll get the refund before it's due so it doesn't matter. Being out the freight on one stone really isn't that much in the end, no?
You may surprise yourself whether you wish to compromise on color or faceting at the end of the day, once you see them in real life.
Besides. Then you get to take your own comparing pictures and we get to see you post about it. Fun!

Edited
Yes- the different lighting/background colors on the in tweezers up in the air shots was maddening to compare. It's almost impossible.
Yes- make it a ménage a three! The LAD one as requested above. I can have wishful thinking, right? :)

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
M from GIA or EGL? I bring this up because there's no way on this round earth mine are j/k as they are graded by EGL. And that's fine as long as the price is evened out.
I still think you should bring both stones in at the same time. Work it out so you purchase right after your credit card billing statement closes out for the month if you need to. You'll get the refund before it's due so it doesn't matter. Being out the freight on one stone really isn't that much in the end, no?
You may surprise yourself whether you wish to compromise on color or faceting at the end of the day, once you see them in real life.
Besides. Then you get to take your own comparing pictures and we get to see you post about it. Fun!

Yes- the different lighting/background colors on the in tweezers up in the air shots was maddening to compare. It's almost impossible.

It is a GIA stone so the color should be pretty accurate. Yes, I’m tempted to get both or get the M and the K from Love affair diamond. The M looks divine though.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the spread difference between the m and the k?
Just curious!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It is a GIA stone so the color should be pretty accurate. Yes, I’m tempted to get both or get the M and the K from Love affair diamond. The M looks divine though.

Did you see the videos of the LAD stone? You have to click to get to the smugmug page. It’s a really pretty performer.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you see the videos of the LAD stone? You have to click to get to the smugmug page. It’s a really pretty performer.

Yes, I did see the video. The M still looks better to me visually.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What's the spread difference between the m and the k?
Just curious!
The M is 7.54 x 7.63. The K is 7.78 x7.75. Obviously, the M is quite a bit cheaper but I upped my budget with some extra funds so it is still in my price range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results