shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Moissanite Co OEC?

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Just got this 7mm OEC from Moissanite Co. I think it pretty, but this is my first time seeing an OEC moissanite. I’m debating between keeping it and ordering one from Tianyu, just for cost reasons. But I don’t think I can get the stone from Tianyu in time to compare them inside the MoCo return window. I got this one during a MoCo sale and paid about $400. Tianyu quoted about $150. The cost isn’t a make-or-break factor, more of a consideration. I mostly just want to know whether you all think this is a nice stone.
709627E5-DC51-4E9C-9B0C-3362A0CA4E20.jpeg
D8D883EE-36E2-48AE-AFC1-49F5EFABAD5E.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really dead in the center, and kind of flat. Where was your video taken? There's hardly any sparkle, but that could be partly environmental.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The petals look odd, they make a circle in the middle center where you should see more of a flower shape...that circle is why it's looking flat

Here's an example from love affair diamonds ...not sure where she gets hers from but guessing tianyus is closer to this than moco's.
IMG_20180124_172206-L.jpg

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
It looks really dead in the center, and kind of flat. Where was your video taken? There's hardly any sparkle, but that could be partly environmental.

The video was taken indoors, with a window behind me several feet. Unfortunately my lovely older iPhone camera blows out the stone entirely if I try to capture it in direct light. But I think you are right there is something left to be desired with the center at least. I’m starting to feel a bit better about sending it back without potentially seeing Tianyu’s first.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
The petals look odd, they make a circle in the middle center where you should see more of a flower shape...that circle is why it's looking flat

Here's an example from love affair diamonds ...not sure where she gets hers from but guessing tianyus is closer to this than moco's.

Well that is a lovely stone! I can definitely see the difference compared to this photo. I can see the petals a bit more in person, but they are not nearly as distinct as in the photo you posted. :/

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Tianyu ones can back out in the middle (or at least the ones I have so) but at a very specific angle and I have to try to do it. For the price, I think the cut is great. And even ignoring the price, I think it’s pretty good, too. Granted, I’ve seen a limited number of OEC moissanite in person.

Maybe it’s the lighting that’s making this one look dark? But if it cost more than Tianyu, I think you won’t regret sending it back.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

LADs are cut by Harro. They’re my favorite! :kiss2:

I agree that the center looks a little dead, but I’ve seen stones from the Chinese companies do the same thing. It really is luck of the draw. Just make sure you get good pics and videos before they ship it to you!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
The Tianyu ones can back out in the middle (or at least the ones I have so) but at a very specific angle and I have to try to do it. For the price, I think the cut is great. And even ignoring the price, I think it’s pretty good, too. Granted, I’ve seen a limited number of OEC moissanite in person.

Maybe it’s the lighting that’s making this one look dark? But if it cost more than Tianyu, I think you won’t regret sending it back.
It definitely looks better in person, but I do think the darkness in the center is still a bit of an issue. I had read some similar comments about the centers of Tianyu’s OECs, which is part of the reason I wanted to compare them. But on the whole, it seems like most people are happy with their Tianyu purchases, and perhaps there isn’t a 100% percent OEC Moissanite out there. I think I could be happy with pretty darn good from most angles. :)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks better in person, but I do think the darkness in the center is still a bit of an issue. I had read some similar comments about the centers of Tianyu’s OECs, which is part of the reason I wanted to compare them. But on the whole, it seems like most people are happy with their Tianyu purchases, and perhaps there isn’t a 100% percent OEC Moissanite out there. I think I could be happy with pretty darn good from most angles. :)

Maybe an August Vintage moissanite would have no black out area? For my needs, the Tianyu ones are great but someday :whistle:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After looking pretty exhaustively at all the OEC moissies on the market that I could find, I've come to the conclusion that the best are LAD's Harros and the August Vintage moissy AVRs. I think they are the crispest and most realistic, as well as having the best light performance. If all goes as planned, I'll be buying antique cushion and OEC moissies later this year, and the plan is to get the August Vintage cushion (because I like their facet pattern best amongst the cushions) and a LAD Harro OEC (because I like their facet pattern a smidge better than AV's round).

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Just got this 7mm OEC from Moissanite Co. I think it pretty, but this is my first time seeing an OEC moissanite. I’m debating between keeping it and ordering one from Tianyu, just for cost reasons. But I don’t think I can get the stone from Tianyu in time to compare them inside the MoCo return window. I got this one during a MoCo sale and paid about $400. Tianyu quoted about $150. The cost isn’t a make-or-break factor, more of a consideration. I mostly just want to know whether you all think this is a nice stone.
709627E5-DC51-4E9C-9B0C-3362A0CA4E20.jpeg
D8D883EE-36E2-48AE-AFC1-49F5EFABAD5E.jpeg
This reminds me very much of the 1st OEC that luckyrabbit got from Starsgem. They have adjusted their cut now so it looks a bit more like Tianyu’s. I didn’t really get too much of the grey petal center on mine from Tianyu unless it was tipped on an angle but not straight on. I could still see the petals in the cut closer to the LAD version.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
After looking pretty exhaustively at all the OEC moissies on the market that I could find, I've come to the conclusion that the best are LAD's Harros and the August Vintage moissy AVRs. I think they are the crispest and most realistic, as well as having the best light performance. If all goes as planned, I'll be buying antique cushion and OEC moissies later this year, and the plan is to get the August Vintage cushion (because I like their facet pattern best amongst the cushions) and a LAD Harro OEC (because I like their facet pattern a smidge better than AV's round).
Good to know! The LAD OECs are actually priced pretty reasonably...not too much more than MoCo. Definitely something to consider.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I bought a MoCo one earlier this year and I thought it was gorgeous! But I wrote to them and asked them to handpick a well cut stone. It had lively center petals and gave off great pastel flashes. ( I would have kept it too, but right about then I found out August Vintage had moissanite and I had to have one!) I wish I had better pics of the MoCo, but I deleted most of them.
I think it's always variable what you will get, but MoCo does have a nice OEC. Maybe you could swap it out for another?
These are not the best pics, just stills from a video I still had.
20190102_232744.jpg

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I bought a MoCo one earlier this year and I thought it was gorgeous! But I wrote to them and asked them to handpick a well cut stone. It had lively center petals and gave off great pastel flashes. ( I would have kept it too, but right about then I found out August Vintage had moissanite and I had to have one!) I wish I had better pics of the MoCo, but I deleted most of them.
I think it's always variable what you will get, but MoCo does have a nice OEC. Maybe you could swap it out for another?
These are not the best pics, just stills from a video I still had.
20190102_232744.jpg
Oh, that is interesting, what a good idea on your end! I agree the stone in your pics does have a bit more life in the center than mine does.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results