shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this 4.50 K Diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I am trying to learn as much as I can about diamonds on the forum and there is so much to take in!
I love cushions, and I would like an opinion on this one:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AA522722&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34#

I know I really would need pictures and other supplemental images to tell more about the stone, but I am not quite ready to contact any sellers. Is the Depth% too big at 68.7%? Also, what effect will the thick-very thick girdle have on the stone?

I know this diamond will have some color, since it is a K, but I am not very color sensitive-- I looked at a few different members K diamond pics and they look beautiful to me!
30.gif

Any opinions are appreciated!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There really is nothing we can tell you without pictures. BUT I will say a few things:

1. A K is going to be more warm in a cushion than in a round.
2. As the stone gets bigger the warmth gets more apparent too.

So make sure you are ok with that much warmth in THAT stone. It makes a difference.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:56:16 PM
Author: neatfreak
There really is nothing we can tell you without pictures. BUT I will say a few things:

So make sure you are ok with that much warmth in THAT stone. It makes a difference.
NF said it best. The larger the stone the more warmth you will see, and she''s right about the difference between a round and a cushion. The warmth will be more apparent in the cushion.

Get some pics, that would be most helpful. I can''t wait to see it!!!
1.gif

GemologistK

Rough_Rock
Assuming you have two diamonds, one is 4.5ct round cut K in color, and the other one is the same
but cushion cut, would you be able to see a diiference in color between the two, side by side ? and
why ?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 10:39:44 PM
Author: GemologistK
Assuming you have two diamonds, one is 4.5ct round cut K in color, and the other one is the same

but cushion cut, would you be able to see a difference in color between the two, side by side ? and

why ?
yes
The light path is longer in a cushion and there isn''t as much brilliance to mask the color.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 8:56:16 PM
Author: neatfreak

Agreed.

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Well I have requested pictures and I will see how the stone looks.

Side note: From what I have read, the cut of the stone is extremely important and can make a big difference how color and clarity appear... is that right?

And on the topic of cut, what is the ''best'' grade of cut for a cushion diamond? Where is that listed on a GIA certificate?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:10:52 PM
Author: LovesAllDiamonds!
Well I have requested pictures and I will see how the stone looks.

Side note: From what I have read, the cut of the stone is extremely important and can make a big difference how color and clarity appear... is that right?

And on the topic of cut, what is the 'best' grade of cut for a cushion diamond? Where is that listed on a GIA certificate?
There isn't a cut grade for cushions at this time.

And yes cut quality is vital to end up with a good looking cushion.

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
I have attached the photo they sent me... I can see that it is a warm stone, but I don''t mind that. I would definitely need to see the stone in person though to really get a feel for its personality!

J691PIC.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has potential!

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Here is the GIA certificate. Other than the color, is there anything else that sticks out as being a potential problem with the diamond?

(they also have a 4.50 I VS2 diamond I am going to try and get pictures of!)

gia35.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The girdle variance being thick to very thick could be improved on as this can waste weight for one thing, however the main thing is the overall appearance and performance of the diamond, such variances are more commonly seen in fancy shapes than top cut rounds for example. Apart from that it looks like a pretty cushion.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Resized.

J691PIC01.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 1:04:28 PM
Author: Ellen
Resized.
Thanks!!!

I can get a much better view of it now. It looks nice, not the best looking cushion I have ever seen but it appears to be a pretty diamond and it is a rare size, so if it might be worth seeing in person if you can do so, then at least you will know if it is for you or not.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Velcome!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure what it is, but that image isn''t my favorite. I''d only go there if you can see the diamond in person and compare, or the vendor can send a video or something.

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Yea, I do have the option of viewing the diamond in person if I was serious about it- I don''t live too far away from their location.

I agree- I think that what looks a little odd to me is that when you look straight down into the table section of the diamond, it looks kind of blurry/dark on both sides; the facets don''t seem as defined.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 1:23:49 PM
Yea, I do have the option of viewing the diamond in person if I was serious about it- I don''t live too far away from their location.

I agree- I think that what looks a little odd to me is that when you look straight down into the table section of the diamond, it looks kind of blurry/dark on both sides; the facets don''t seem as defined.
If it is convenient then go and have a look at the diamond, then at least you will know - plus you will see how the K colour actually looks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you get an IS or ASET image?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm something is going on here.
That image is just not right.
This area and the area below it in the image looks like it may have been altered in photoshop.

hmmmmJ691PIC.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 3:53:22 PM
Author: strmrdr
This area and the area below it in the image looks like it may have been altered in photoshop.
Doctored to hide an inclusion or alter the viewer''s cut perception in the photo?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here also the blur extends over a physical facet that is on top of the diamond.
That is not right the facet would be as defined as the rest if it was in the stone and not an edit.

J691PIC2.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 3:57:30 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 2/24/2009 3:53:22 PM

Author: strmrdr

Doctored to hide an inclusion or alter the viewer''s cut perception in the photo?
hide large dark areas and change the perception.
I sent it to another photoshop expert and he says it is edited also.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Karl, can you circle the areas you mean? I think I saw it in the first view, but I''m having trouble finding it in the second.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 4:27:37 PM
Author: glitterata
Karl, can you circle the areas you mean? I think I saw it in the first view, but I''m having trouble finding it in the second.
Circled the areas that look edited: Just from the appearance it does not look natural.
Then the green arrows point to locations where it would be next to impossible for it to be natural.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
woops forgot the image...

J691PIC3.JPG

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the expert insight! That is what I was trying to point out when I posted that some of the central areas looked blurry... I just couldn''t figure out how to draw circles on the picture with my Mac.

Do you think the image, if it was altered, was altered by Union Diamond or someone else they got the image from?
I will keep looking then
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 5:00:22 PM
Thanks for the expert insight! That is what I was trying to point out when I posted that some of the central areas looked blurry... I just couldn''t figure out how to draw circles on the picture with my Mac.

Do you think the image, if it was altered, was altered by Union Diamond or someone else they got the image from?

I will keep looking then
1.gif
No way for me to know the origin of the photo or when it was edited.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Storm, so is that a round diamond girdle reflection we see in the table view?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 5:05:44 PM
Author: Pyramid
Storm, so is that a round diamond girdle reflection we see in the table view?
Im not seeing girdle reflection but may not be looking at what you are.
Can you be more specific or draw an arrow and post?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results