shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my reset idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This diamond came from my moms ering. It was larger than this in the beginning, and set in a platinum setting. Several years ago, she took it to her family jeweler (I use that term lightly) to have the prong tips replaced. Long story short, he cracked the diamond.
40.gif

So, he sent this stone off to be recut enough to be presentable, and replaced it with a new one to go in moms setting. I was then given the choice of taking this loose stone, or getting the one with the setting, my sister would get the other. I picked the loose stone for sentimental reasons, since I was so close with my dad. I wanted the original stone he gave her.

Of course, this was way pre-pricescope, and I''d never seen an emeral cut diamond up close. At first it looked really pretty, and honestly did have a "deep" look to it. But after staring at it obsessively for a bit, the look changed. lol Now I was really seeing it, and it didn''t look as good. I also had no idea what a really well cut emerald diamond looked like, and had no idea if this one was or not.

To shorten the story, after getting on PS and looking at the papers, it really couldn''t get much worse. What really saddens me is, my dad cashed in all his bonds to buy my mother this ring, and probably paid a lot of money for a poor diamond.
38.gif

I put it in this setting, but I don''t wear it anymore. However I would like to, more for sentimental reasons, since I lost my dad several years ago. So, I was thinking it may be better suited for a necklace. I would like to incorporate the tapered baguettes if possible. Do you think this would work?

Here are the specs, hold on to your seats.
9.gif

D VS1
Diameter 7.55x3.86x2.39
.61 cts.
T 70%
D 61.9 %
Girdle Extremely thin to thick
Polish Good
Symmetry Fair

The pics aren''t too hot, but these are hard to photograph and I''m sick and didn''t feel like fighting for better ones. You get the picture though. It does look better than this in real life.

Em01.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MAMMOTH table...

Em02.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Em03.JPG

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think a pendant is a good idea. I wonder if some traps would widen out the look of the center stone?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rising, I probably should have put this in my post, but I''m trying to do this rather economically. And honestly, I''ve held it up as a pendant and the width, or lack of, doesn''t bother me.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

I think the ring is really pretty as is, but a necklace would be pretty too.

Linda

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pendant reset idea! I think you could incorporate the baguettes in the corners at the top, fatter sides down (does that make any sense? You usually read my mind so I'm hoping to can figure out what I mean, LOL!) And really, even though it's not "ideally" cut, it is the stone your Dad gave your Mom, and that counts for more than any spec in my mind!!

ETA: So I've been sitting here staring at the pics obsessively for a while, and what about setting the stone east/west? I'm not sure that's the *answer* (the better way to consider that would be to have someone photoshop it, or even play with the stones loose) but I just wanted to throw it out there. (You know me--have a thought = type it out!)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Although it may not have ideal proportions that diamond still has a special beauty all its own not to mention the sentimental value attached to it. I think it would make a lovely pendant. I know you mentioned tapered baguettes and I don''t know if this would be within budget, but would you consider having a halo of tiny round diamonds around it? I think that is such a gorgeous look that contrasts nicely with a step cut stone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, thanks. I like the ring ok, just not on me. If I had long slender fingers, it would look great, but I have short, notsoslender fingers.
11.gif
Also, with it having the specs it does, I just thought it might do better as a necklace.

Dee, lol you crack me up.
2.gif
Yes, I know exactly what you mean w/setting the baguettes like that. That''s kinda what I had thought of too...
41.gif
Now, E/W is an idea I hadn''t thought of...wish Irina was here to photoshop.
7.gif

And you''re right, the sentimentality of this diamond far exceeds its poor cut. That''s why I still want to wear it.
2.gif

Sundial, I hadn''t thought of the halo either. While I do like the idea in general, I like the idea of something simpler for me right now. The halo seems "dreessier" to me, I don''t think I''d wear it that often, and I would like to wear this more than once in a while.
2.gif

If I could have both versions, that would be a different story.
31.gif

Now, another question. Should I trust my local jeweler to do whatever, or not. Please keep in mind the kind of "luck" I have...
20.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I was gonna mention an E/W orientation--but Miss DeeJay beat me to it. How about adding some color? What is your birthstone?

P.S. I think it is a beautiful ring--love the classic setting.

cheers--Sharon

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear...your local jeweler has not served you well, Ellen. I''m not sure I would go that route again
38.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 7:43:54 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I was gonna mention an E/W orientation--but Miss DeeJay beat me to it. How about adding some color? What is your birthstone?

P.S. I think it is a beautiful ring--love the classic setting.

cheers--Sharon
Well, it used to be Aquamarine. But now they changed a bunch (and btw, who ARE they, and why did THEY feel the need to change??) and it's supposed to be Turquoise now.
20.gif
And yes, it's a pretty ring.

lol rising, just so we're on the same page, the only thing THIS local jeweler did was mess up the first Rhodium dip on my ering, which he then fixed. Does that help?
9.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it does, I think...maybe
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of an E-W setting too, perhaps with small rounds in between the center stone and the bags? If you did that in a ring, would you wear it as a RHR? It could look pretty and give good finger coverage in that sort of setting. Or as a RHR, what about setting the center E-W, flanked by the bags, with additional non-tapered bags going down the sides or all around? if you did a necklace, I''d still go with the first idea I mentioned...bit it might look a bit small on the neck all clustered together at the center of a necklace, which is why I suggested the RHR instead...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:30:26 AM
Author: risingsun
9.gif
lol!
9.gif

surfgirl, thanks for the suggestions. The more I think about this, the more I think 1. it should be a pendant and 2. I want to keep it simple, I may even chuck the baguettes. I really want this to be as close to an "everyday" thing as possible. And, for the most part, I''m just not a flashy person, which I personally think it would start to become if I started adding a bunch of stuff.

Not that it actually would be flashy by most, just my simple mid-western roots showing through here.
5.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think the stone is very pretty. I love any stone that has such sentimental value. Wearing it close to your heart would be perfect. What about a thin bezel around it and set e/w? I''m not sure about the bags? I know you don''t like the setting, but, maybe you could have a colored stone set in it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 12:59:52 PM
Author: Miranda
Well, I think the stone is very pretty. I love any stone that has such sentimental value. Wearing it close to your heart would be perfect. What about a thin bezel around it and set e/w? I'm not sure about the bags? I know you don't like the setting, but, maybe you could have a colored stone set in it.
Hmmm, that would help it stand out a bit more, yes? And maybe give it an even more casual look? Which I would like!

And yes, a colored stone would work in that setting, and at that size, shouldn't cost much either. It's not that I don't llike the setting, I actually do, it's just too thin for my fingers. Wider, more substantial bands just look better on them, to me.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
I''d have to give it more though. But, howsabout a WF-style tandem necklace?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 2:06:55 PM
Author: Harriet
Ellen,
I''d have to give it more though. But, howsabout a WF-style tandem necklace?
I do like that necklace Harriet, but again, it kinda goes back to adding more stones, and getting more fancy. (for moi)
2.gif

Now, maybe if I bezeled it, and set it E/W, with the baguettes going out/up on either side, it might not be too bad. Of course, I''m having a hard time envisioning that, it could look awful, lol. I really wish Irina was here...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 2:19:15 PM
Author: Ellen
I do like that necklace Harriet, but again, it kinda goes back to adding more stones, and getting more fancy. (for moi)
2.gif

Now, maybe if I bezeled it, and set it E/W, with the baguettes going out/up on either side, it might not be too bad. Of course, I'm having a hard time envisioning that, it could look awful, lol. I really wish Irina was here...
I like your idea, minus the bezel. The width of the emerald already exceeds that of the baguettes. I hope iwanna chimes in. She's a mean photoshopper. Unless I die from stress in the coming week, I'll be thinking away.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 2:24:52 PM
I like your idea, minus the bezel. The width of the emerald already exceeds that of the baguettes. I hope iwanna chimes in. She''s a mean photoshopper. Unless I die from stress in the coming week, I''ll be thinking away.
Why are you stressed?

And why don''t you like the bezel idea? Don''t be shy!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 12:45:11 PM

Date: 7/22/2007 11:30:26 AM
Author: risingsun
9.gif
lol!
9.gif

surfgirl, thanks for the suggestions. The more I think about this, the more I think 1. it should be a pendant and 2. I want to keep it simple, I may even chuck the baguettes. I really want this to be as close to an ''everyday'' thing as possible. And, for the most part, I''m just not a flashy person, which I personally think it would start to become if I started adding a bunch of stuff.

Not that it actually would be flashy by most, just my simple mid-western roots showing through here.
5.gif
Ellen, it is raining and muggy down here in Trinidad so I''m giving your dilemma proper thought today! And postponing my work!! Based on your above comment, I think you should go with the bezel set solo pendant. If the stone has clipped edges the bezel will accentuate them more and I think that, in platinum, on a fine plat chain would look divine and still allow you maintain your "simple Mid-Western roots"..heh... It would be sort of like an EC Elsa Peretti style solitaire pendant and I think the fact that it''s EC would make it stand out just that little bit for people to say "wow, what a pretty necklace!" Plus it would be simple enough to wear with jeans and a t-shirt, or dressed up. I predict you will wear such a design nearly daily!
36.gif
And I''d keep the original setting with bags and either put a colored gemstone in there, or keep the setting for a future use. Do you have kids? It could make a lovely ering setting one day with added sentimental value...

What other little gems are you hiding from us?!?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about setting it E/W and bezeling only the long sides? That would add some width and then you could do something interesting at the ends; maybe have the metal form a "V" and have the chain connect to the points of the V? It would have to be designed in a way that prevents flipping though.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My angle of attack has a bit of modern/contemporary theme to it. Breaking with tradition rules....I would remount the stone as a slider. This would enable you to slide it on different chains or a solid cuff/collar like necklace. The insert for the chain in the slide could be in the center so the necklace chain would run like the equator seperating north from south. The silder could be engineered to offer you east and west or north and south hanging options.

I would take the baguettes and attach them to lever back earrings. I am spelling that term wrong? They are the earrings that are hoop like...but not rounded. The bags would sit ever so lightly on the edge of the earring wire. And I think they would add an added sparkle of suprise. Or they could be part or a dangle with an added pearl or birthstone.

If you did the earrings and the slider you could have an option to add a drop of a stone of color to match your earrings...again maybe a seed pearl...white, colored, or black one...or birthstone.

Do you have any other recycle-ables that you could use to stay economical?

I wish I could photoshop...to convey my thoughts. Arrgh! This is exciting.
36.gif

DKS

Hey if you don't like your birthstone...what about using your Fathers?
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee, too funny. I had thought of a semi-bezel earlier, amongst other things.

Then I started looking through old bezel threads, and came across a pic of a Tiffany Etiole solitaire. I liked the look (this was a round of course) of the diamond semi-bezeled, and surrounded with the wide polished band.

That gave me an idea, I''ll throw it out.

I''ll probably butcher this description
20.gif
, but, what about this. First, think of a dog tag (for lack of a better visual) just a bit larger than the diamond. Then sink the diamond into the middle of it, running it lengthwise with the tag. The surrounding metal could be highly polished, or brushed. The outline conforms with the shape of the diamond. The edges are rounded and ever so slightly raised. The same on the inner edges around the diamond, with ribbon prongs on the corners. Or, leave the bezel off the inner edges and just do the ribbon prongs. Or, no ribbon prongs and full bezel, or semi on the ends.

Love it, hate it? Don''t quit my day job? Wait, I don''t have one. OK, don''t go into designing jewelery?
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 5:24:14 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
My angle of attack has a bit of modern/contemporary theme to it. Breaking with tradition rules....I would remount the stone as a slider. This would enable you to slide it on different chains or a solid cuff/collar like necklace. The insert for the chain in the slide could be in the center so the necklace chain would run like the equator seperating north from south. The silder could be engineered to offer you east and west or north and south hanging options.

I would take the baguettes and attach them to lever back earrings. I am spelling that term wrong? They are the earrings that are hoop like...but not rounded. The bags would sit ever so lightly on the edge of the earring wire. And I think they would add an added sparkle of suprise. Or they could be part or a dangle with an added pearl or birthstone.

If you did the earrings and the slider you could have an option to add a drop of a stone of color to match your earrings...again maybe a seed pearl...white, colored, or black one...or birthstone.

Do you have any other recycle-ables that you could use to stay economical?

I wish I could photoshop...to convey my thoughts. Arrgh! This is exciting.
36.gif

DKS

Hey if you don''t like your birthstone...what about using your Fathers?
12.gif
Ok, I LOVE this idea, it''s a must, unless absolutely impossible with the end design! thanks!

Speaking of recycle-ables, I do have some Emerald cut, very light blue, very cheap Aquamrine earrings hubby bought me years ago to match my Aquamarine ring. I will go play with them and ideas later, thanks again!

And I looked up my dads birthstone, it''s Opal. And I seriously just now remembered I have some of his second wifes (deceased) jewelery under my bed. I do believe she has some very tiny opal earrings in there, must check it out. I forgot all about that stuff!

Thanks DKS!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 3:00:05 PM
Author: surfgirl
Ellen, it is raining and muggy down here in Trinidad so I''m giving your dilemma proper thought today! And postponing my work!! Based on your above comment, I think you should go with the bezel set solo pendant. If the stone has clipped edges the bezel will accentuate them more and I think that, in platinum, on a fine plat chain would look divine and still allow you maintain your ''simple Mid-Western roots''..heh... It would be sort of like an EC Elsa Peretti style solitaire pendant and I think the fact that it''s EC would make it stand out just that little bit for people to say ''wow, what a pretty necklace!'' Plus it would be simple enough to wear with jeans and a t-shirt, or dressed up. I predict you will wear such a design nearly daily!
36.gif
And I''d keep the original setting with bags and either put a colored gemstone in there, or keep the setting for a future use. Do you have kids? It could make a lovely ering setting one day with added sentimental value...

What other little gems are you hiding from us?!?
Ha ha! Get to work.
11.gif
25.gif

Tell me what you think of my idea.

And, I''ve posted everything I have, except some Cameo jewelry of my grandmothers, but it''s in my bank box.

And I have 3 boys, I will have to think on whether to keep the bags in it or not....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 2:39:17 PM
Why are you stressed?

And why don''t you like the bezel idea? Don''t be shy!
Because of all the stuff I have to do before my vacation.

Because it will make the emerald-cut out of proportion to the baguettes. Also because I don''t like bezels.

Someone, cheer me up. Please!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 8:13:41 PM
Because of all the stuff I have to do before my vacation.

Because it will make the emerald-cut out of proportion to the baguettes. Also because I don''t like bezels.

Someone, cheer me up. Please!
Ok, but I''ve scratched the baguettes. Do you not like my latest idea?

Don''t stress, it will all be worth it. Just make check lists so you don''t forget anything. List the most important stuff first, least last. That way, if by chance something doesn''t get done/brought, not a biggie. You''ll be fine.

Or, I could go in your place....
27.gif
9.gif
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 8:47:04 PM
Ok, but I''ve scratched the baguettes. Do you not like my latest idea?

Don''t stress, it will all be worth it. Just make check lists so you don''t forget anything. List the most important stuff first, least last. That way, if by chance something doesn''t get done/brought, not a biggie. You''ll be fine.

Or, I could go in your place....
27.gif
9.gif
2.gif
What latest idea? I''ve been staring at the tax code the whole day and my eyes are crossed.
34.gif

Or, you could do my work ...
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results