shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this diamond? 1.5 K si1

luvthisbar

Rough_Rock
I purchased this diamond and have been patiently waiting for delivery coming up on 2 weeks now...

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-813499

I just got a surprise phone call from JA and a very friendly and knowledgeable sale rep basically said the the diamond was coming from overseas and long story short, I dont think its coming. So he suggested this diamond to me saying its located here in the US, if I am putting it in a white gold setting it will be more colorless than what I had chosen and he could get it to me by the end of the week.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-718258

Overall he said the diamond is a lot nicer than the diamond I chose which was 6k. He said he will price match it.

The original diamond scored a 0.7 and this one scores a 3.9 on the HCA tool.

Or maybe if someone can point me in the direction of a better diamond with a 6k +/- budget. Its going in wg setting with plenty of side diamonds.

Thanks

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be open to fluorescence? It can help the K face up whiter in certain lighting. Diamonds with fluor also tend to be at a lower price point.

luvthisbar

Rough_Rock
Yes, I just want the best bang for my buck. A diamond thats eye clean, as close to visually a 1.5 carat, and most importantly cut so sparkle and fire.

After looking at a lot of "show me your k color bling" threads on here, Ive been open to Ks because they appear colorless to me. But this is where I stand. I thought i found the perfect diamond. Really sucks that I have to start my search over. :snore:

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
So you bought a 1.51 K VS1, but it's unavailable, so they're trying to send you a 1.50 K SI1 with a worse cut for the same price? This sounds like a bad deal to me! If they were giving you the VS1 for the price of the SI1, that'd be one thing, but it sounds like they are trying to get you to accept an inferior diamond because of their mistake, and to change the setting to boot. Am I missing something?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what JA is trying to do. That SI 1 is a pass..

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
luvthisbar said:
Overall he said the diamond is a lot nicer than the diamond I chose which was 6k. He said he will price match it.

What a bunch of bull. I think it is obvious just by the video it is not close to being as good... let alone better. Yep, its a pass. JA needs to train their reps better!! Does it have to be JA? After that "price match" for an inferior stone, I would be hesitant to give them my $$ :nono:

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I'd reject the one they suggested as a replacement. Going solely by the vids I don't see how the rep can claim the replacement is better.

luvthisbar

Rough_Rock
Tell me about it.. Now I am stuck in a position where I need a diamond for my white gold setting and I need it in about two weeks time when I plan on flying out to see my gf and proposing. I have all the arrangements set up for the proposal, minus the diamond.

What kind of scares me is that it seems like a majority of the diamonds that come from James Allen ship from over seas. After waiting two weeks for the original diamond after payment they are just now telling me I am not getting it. I am scared I might order another diamond just to have the same thing happen and now Ive flown out with no diamond in my setting.

Finding this original diamond took me a while and a lot of research. If anyone else has the time could you please chime in with maybe a similar diamond for my budget of 6-7k. I want something as close to a 1.5 carat that will look good in a WG setting with non certified "I" colored diamonds.

Thanks in advance

unsworth

Rough_Rock
I'm a long time lurker and usually don't post. Long story short I bought an AGS diamond in 2008 from JA. All diamonds were in house and checked by the gemologist. Ideal scope and asset were available. A very seamless and quick transaction. Fast forward to about 4 months ago. I wanted to upgrade to a larger stone knowing I must spend twice the amount of the original cost.

I've been searching at least 2x per week. Every diamond that seems to fit my needs is not in house. Meaning not in New York office , unable to be checked by the gemologist and no reports can be done. I've spoken to various sales people and all they can tell me is if they think a few of the SI2's MIGHT be eye clean. They can't see anything more than I can on the computer screen. So the only option I have for an out of area stone of which I have found several contenders is to pay the full price so I can compare it to my current diamond. That is not in my budget. I would have to ship my stone to them and pay the difference. And hope it looks good to my eyes.

I'm frustrated with the situation. And I wasn't told that one coming from overseas would take longer. So I've decided to forget about upgrading. I'm sad that JA has grown since 2008 and now has diamonds all over the place. Bigger is not always better. Especially for the consumer.

If one of the lovely pricescopers can't find you an in house diamond in the next day or so, I would suggest getting it elsewhere.
I feel your frustration.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would call Id Jewelry, I gave them a budget and the specs I was looking for and they were able to get me a pretty sweet ring.

luvthisbar

Rough_Rock
**********UPDATE***********

I have the weirdest update with my diamond purchase.

So after waiting more than 2 weeks for my diamond after payment, I received a call Monday saying my diamond was sent to someone else and the chances of getting it back were slim. So the sales man tried for a good 15 mins to convince me to purchase the diamond listed above as it was a better purchase and a better diamond. I told him to let me do my research on the diamond I wanted to purchase.

Tuesday: I inform them the sales rep I posted the suggested diamond on PS along with my experience and users here agree the diamond JA is suggesting is inferior to the one I originally purchased. I later receive a call saying hey guess what, We found your diamond! It was in Hong Kong at a diamond show. Its very common to send brilliant stones such as the one I had chosen to diamond shows as they only select the best of the best :shifty: Anyways the diamond will ship out from Hong Kong by the end of the week and as soon as they get it in NY, they will inspect it and overnight it to me.

Wednesday Morning: I have an email with my tracking number and the diamond has shipped from NY..??

How does that make any sense?? Makes me wonder if I am even getting the diamond I paid for or what monkey business they are pulling over at JA. When you're bank wiring large amounts of funds to a company, you would expect some level of trust.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. What a freaking joke.

Okay so where are you located. We're going to need an appraiser for you. One with a Sarin and an ASET preferrably.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
That whole deal really sucks! I hope you can find a stone that you love as much as the first one if this whole thing doesn't work out.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmm yeaaaa....... ditto Gypsy. Definitely need to get an appraiser on this stone... makes me wonder.... :shock: :???: Please keep us updated.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Did your diamond arrive yet?

luvthisbar

Rough_Rock
The diamond is on the truck out for delivery. So anytime now.

I am located in Kirkland, WA

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results