shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about non-white dresses? Pics please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I went to try on dresses just to get an idea of what looks good on my body. It was really fun! I tried on a really great Monique Lhuillier dress that was in a pale dove grey color. That got me thinking... color or white/ivory? I''m pretty adventurous, but would I regret not getting married in white?

Please post your opinions and your colored dresses if you had one! I''m curious about this topic...

Oh, here is the dress that got the wheels turning (I''m not shopping yet, just putting my feelers out). I only had a camera phone so the pics are not the best.

moniquem.jpg

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
A close up...

M2bodice.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
It''s a very pretty dress and I love the color. But personally I wouldn''t wear it for my wedding. I''d stick to ivory or white. Just my two cents.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, awesome dress. Love the bodice.

I guess the question you''d have to ask yourself is - would I like this dress more or less if it were in ivory?

Personally, I don''t think the grey-ness adds anything to this particular. Though I have seen some dresses that look great in grey. There is one bride on here who has a gorgeous crinkly grey dress that I think would lose something in ivory.

What''s the reasoning for getting a non-white dress? To be non-traditional, to be rebellious, to just be different, because it''s more flattering, etc.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I'll have to look for a picture, but
Phoebe's wedding dress on Friends is one of my favorite wedding dresses of all time. It was a pale lavender color....YUM!

That dress is gorgeous. Get what YOU want and makes your heart sing!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that dress looks absolutely gorgeous on you!!

As far as the color goes, it''s such a personal choice. I''m pretty non-traditional and am having a small, not-terribly-traditional event and I would have been very happy in a non-white or non-ivory dress. I think it really depends on your personal style, how the color looks on you, the venue, the kind of wedding you''re having, etc.

I ended up going with ivory because the gown I liked only came in light ivory or light gold. I briefly considered having the gown dyed, but I thought the natural silk looked good in ivory and dying it would have been a headache.

I think the only issue that some girls run into with a non-white gown is choosing what to wear on their heads. If you don''t want a veil, then it shouldn''t be an issue at all. If you do want a veil, it can be tough. Traditional veils usually only come in shades of white or ivory, which might not look so great with grey. Also, tulle can''t be dyed. I''ve seen birdcage veils in other colors that look great (usually in red or black).

Most girls who wear non-white gowns don''t wear a veil, but because other than the color, this is a very traditional wedding dress, I''m not sure if you''re planning on wearing one or not.

Gorgeous dress, though, I really like it!!

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! I think it is fun to do something that is not white/ivory ... as long as YOU feel bridal!

My dress is definitely a darker champagne color and I can''t wait to wear it on my wedding day!

Just try a ton of different stuff on and you''ll soon figure out what you gravitate to.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the gray. There is something vintage looking about it. I think there was a bride on here that had a red wedding dress. It is such a personal decision. Do you like to be more unique or classic?

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
This dress comes in ivory also. The salon had as sample of the top in ivory, but not the skirt. I tried the top on and it really didn''t have the same appeal as the grey. It just looked like every other dress out there. So I guess I do like to be unique, but not over the top.

I''m not specifically looking for a dress in a color, but I was drawn to this particular one. When I tried it on I envisoned it with a pink bouquet...

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of the dove grey color Goldenstar. The style definitely looks perfect for your figure, which is lovely BTW
1.gif
. The color is a nice change from white or ivory, although in my opinion, the dove grey is still neutral enough to be wedding gown worthy. I would say the gray is a safe adventure...
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m having the same debate. I''m going custom on the dress and so far I''ve only talked to the designer on the phone so nothing is fixed yet.

I''m very much leaning towards a green/gold dress rather than white. It might work in ivory/gold as well but green will probably look better.

My only reason for having ivory is that you only get to wear a big white dress once and I''m not sure that is enough reason. My whole wedding is a mix of ultra-formal and ultra-non traditional, venue is 13th Century and we want a medieval/tudor with a modern twist look.

My flowers are in burnt orange, mango and marigold, bridesmaids all in ivory and so I''m thinking green would be a nice foil for the flowers.

This is one of the designs I''ve drawn up so far - the neckline is all pearls and the fabrics are a mix of silk brocades and silk crepe de chine so it flows and isn''t too stiff looking.

pangreendress.jpg

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
I love,love love that dress! I think its a great idea. Especially if you are comfortable in it. I don''t know about a veil though. It looks like you had one on in the picture? You are giving me some good ideas!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The colour of my dress is called ''antique white'' but it''s really a silvery white.

Here''s a close up of the colour of the dress next to my cream coloured sofa.

nm dress colour shot.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think subtle color can be great, such as the gray. I would get hesitant if someone wanted something that was NOT soft, because I would think they might regret it later. But a soft color like that dove gray or champagne would be fantastic, and I doubt you would regret it because it still looks "bridal".

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the dress is 100% gorgeous. I wouldn''t worry about the grey being a problem, unless you have some sort of nagging feeling that you may regret it, or if you''re ordinarily a "play it safe" kind of person when it comes to fashion. Otherwise, it''s BEAUTIFUL and will look amazing as a wedding gown, and REALLY sets off your beautiful dark hair! (All right, starting to get a little jealous over here
2.gif
)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I couldn''t find a picture, but I did find it on youtube... Here is Phoebe''s wedding on Friends. Her dress was subtly gray.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xvt9_2H_YMY

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love the grey, and that dress looks just fantastic on you. I ended up with an ivory wedding gown, but I tried on several "alternative" colors like rum pink, champagne, etc. I REALLY loved the non traditional colored dresses but unfortunately all of them were out of my price range.

I''ve mentioned this here before, but whenever DH and I go to weddings, we have this little thing we do either in the car on the way there or the flight: we try to guess and make bets on what the bride will wear. Typically the guess is "strapless, white, big poufy skirt" by both of us, but there have been a few occasions now where we know the bride has unique taste and lots of personality and we have so much fun trying to think of what she''ll wear. The most enjoyable weddings we''ve attended have been the ones where the bride wore something "different" meaning a non traditional gown or non traditional colored dress, etc.

I sooo wish I''d had the budget to do something really different, I think I could''ve rocked a beautiful gown that wasn''t necessarily traditional...I did wear a spaghetti strapped gown with a detachable chapel length train (hadn''t seen a detachable one before, only bustles) and no veil, and those two things in themselves made me non traditional in our circle, lol!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the gray- I think it''s beautiful. I''m all for non-traditional colors, since my dress was lilac ( I just posted a pic of it in the plus-size brides thread)

Pandora, the dress you are having done is fantastic!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Wear exactly what YOU want. Don''t let convention or tradition dictate anything. Be yourself and do it your way. You know what you like and what will make you feel beautiful. Enjoy the hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results