shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think about wearing black at a wedding?

florry

Rough_Rock
I know some people say black is just for funerals, but I've heard a lot of people also say that black is classic, chic, and can be worn at weddings. I found a dress today that I really like, and I'm thinking about wearing it to a wedding in a few weeks. Would you be bothered if someone wore black to a wedding? Obviously guys wear black to weddings all the time lol, but what do you think about a pretty black dress?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the kind of wedding. To me, a black dress would be appropriate for a formal evening wedding, but probably not a more casual wedding or one in the morning or midday. (ETA: I also think a winter wedding is a better setting for black dresses than a summer one.)

Oh, and fun fact...I was just at my first Indian wedding last weekend, and guests are traditionally not supposed to wear either black or white. So if the bride and/or groom are of Indian descent (as in from India, not Native American), don't wear the black dress!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A black sheath is my go-to for evening or formal weddings (I've never been to a super formal affair) - makes packing so much easier as a guest. I think that looks like a great choice! Then again, my circles aren't very etiquette conscious I suppose - in the last wedding I was at the bridal party was in black, and our thankyou cards had Thank You printed on the front ;))

jstarfireb|1306390657|2930617 said:
Oh, and fun fact...I was just at my first Indian wedding last weekend, and guests are traditionally not supposed to wear either black or white. So if the bride and/or groom are of Indian descent (as in from India, not Native American), don't wear the black dress!

On the black - and no black materials or thread are used in even the stitching on the bride's saris!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's perfectly fine to wear a black dress to a wedding. You could also add a pop of color if you wore a cardigan, wrap, etc. over the dress.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it is fine to wear black to a wedding.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I never have worn it. I figure it's not all that hard to find something in a color, so I choose to go that route and make sure I don't offend. If for whatever reason my only option were black, I'd be sure to accessorize in a color.

While I wouldn't be upset about it, I'd prefer no one wear all black to my wedding next spring.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I just wore a little black dress to a wedding on Sunday! It was a 4:30 start time, Jewish wedding, semi-formal attire, and I *was* a bit worried that the black dress wouldn't be appropriate, but I didn't have time to go shopping for a new dress. I worried over nothing because 90% of the female guests were wearing black dresses! As long as it's not a day time wedding, I think you're good :))

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most weddings I wear black. I think it is appropriate.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I always wear black to a wedding. I think it's just fine.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I would never wear black to a wedding, but I'm somewhat old-fashioned.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have worn a black dress to a wedding, but I was very cautious to add lots of color through accessories. In general, I don't like seeing black at weddings, but on a big girl (like me) you do what you gotta do.

Worst thing I ever saw was a MOB wearing black! :rolleyes:

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I think black is fine for a wedding.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I wore a black dress to my friend's wedding and it was fine... It was an evening outdoor wedding though... I probably wouldn't have worn it if it had been an afternoon wedding or in a church.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think better safe than sorry. Even if it's only, like 10% of people who would assume you were expressing disapproval/didn't know the etiquette ... why risk it? I figure, no black, red, or white at weddings, period.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An elegant black dress is always appropriate in my opinion! I've done it many times. I had a November wedding, and several guests wore black to my wedding. They looked great!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's a big deal to wear black to a wedding anymore, I have one to go to this Sunday and I think I might be wearing black. In fact I just flipped through our wedding album to see what colors people wore and most of our relatives including my sister wore a black dress. Clearly it didn't bother me in the slightest since I didn't remember!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1306426875|2930865 said:
I think better safe than sorry. Even if it's only, like 10% of people who would assume you were expressing disapproval/didn't know the etiquette ... why risk it? I figure, no black, red, or white at weddings, period.

This is interesting? Why not red at weddings? I wear a lot of red at weddings, I guess because a lot of weddings I attend are Asian (being from California), and it's a happy, lucky joyous color.

If you want a slimming color that is not black, chocolate brown is a good choice. I have worn chocolate for a couple of weddings.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jaysonsmom|1306429648|2930899 said:

This is interesting? Why not red at weddings? I wear a lot of red at weddings, I guess because a lot of weddings I attend are Asian (being from California), and it's a happy, lucky joyous color.

If you want a slimming color that is not black, chocolate brown is a good choice. I have worn chocolate for a couple of weddings.

Ah, good point - that was definitely Western culture specific. Keep in mind, I haven't been to many weddings: that's just what I've soaked up, etiquette wise. I know the standards are definitely loosening these days (see also, many of the posters in this thread who've had wholly positive experiences wearing black!), but despite the fact that, as a New Yorker, 90% of my wardrobe is black, and red is my favorite color ... I just wouldn't risk it, personally, 'cause it wouldn't be worth the chance of giving offense. That said, good to know should I ever be invited to an Asian wedding!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I think black is totally fine for a wedding, although I try to limit it to more formal, evening affairs. If it's a daytime wedding outside, I generally forgo black.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black is fine. I usually like to wear a color, but if black is what I find, it's what I wear.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I've worn a black dress to a wedding before, and I was really worried about it. I'm really petite, so it's hard to find an appropriate dress that fits me correctly, and I looked for hours, but I couldn't find anything else. The wedding was at 6 pm on a Sunday, and it took place in a hotel, but it was summertime. In any case, when I got there, I discovered that black was the color of choice! I fit right in. :)

Since then, I have found a new store that seems to carry more dresses in my size, so I'm really excited about that.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this day an age, i think it is perfectly fine to wear black to a wedding. Most weddings i attend, i see TONS of women in black dresses - more than in any other color for sure!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I have worn black to an evening wedding.

Would I personally care if someone wore black to my wedding? Nope.

We're having a very formal wedding so I think black would be very appropriate and even if we weren't, I could care less....

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I usually wear black to evening/formal weddings. Elegant and simple to coordinate accessories.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

I agree! Plus, I can wear black any old time-- for a wedding I love to see color. If you still want to stay in the dark family... navy, brown, grey are all appropriate choices.

I'm getting married in the spring at 4 o'clock and I certainly hope people aren't dressed in black! Weddings are supposed to be joyous events, so I don't really find black necessary or all that appropriate.

Just because every one is doing it doesn't mean it's right. I realize I am in the minority over this issue, because I am very old fashioned! I can only dress myself.. And maybe FI! :lol:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I think it's ok. You can tell black evening gown from funeral black apart very easily. FI's mother will be wearing black at our wedding - she also wore black for his brother's wedding - and I thought her dress looks great.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl|1306435647|2930995 said:

I agree! Plus, I can wear black any old time-- for a wedding I love to see color. If you still want to stay in the dark family... navy, brown, grey are all appropriate choices.

I'm getting married in the spring at 4 o'clock and I certainly hope people aren't dressed in black! Weddings are supposed to be joyous events, so I don't really find black necessary or all that appropriate.

Just because every one is doing it doesn't mean it's right. I realize I am in the minority over this issue, because I am very old fashioned! I can only dress myself.. And maybe FI! :lol:

And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not right! I got married in the city in the fall. It was an evening black-tie wedding. Not only did a good number of the guests wear black, but my bridesmaids wore black and so did my mother. Someone earlier commented that the worst thing they ever saw was a MOB in black. My mother wore a gorgeous beaded black gown for my wedding. I loved her dress and she looked beautiful. My mother adores my husband,and I can assure you no one thought she was in mourning or anything of the sort. Perhaps it is regional differences, I mostly attend weddings on the East Coast in DC, Philadelphia or NYC and no one ever blinks an eye at a wedding guest or members of the wedding party in black.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1306436104|2931002 said:
OUpeargirl|1306435647|2930995 said:

And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not right! I got married in the city in the fall. It was an evening black-tie wedding. Not only did a good number of the guests wear black, but my bridesmaids wore black and so did my mother. Someone earlier commented that the worst thing they ever saw was a MOB in black. My mother wore a gorgeous beaded black gown for my wedding. I loved her dress and she looked beautiful. My mother adores my husband,and I can assure you no one thought she was in mourning or anything of the sort. Perhaps it is regional differences, I mostly attend weddings on the East Coast in DC, Philadelphia or NYC and no one ever blinks an eye at a wedding guest or members of the wedding party in black.

To each their own.. And like I said, I can only dress myself! I've been taught it's not appropriate, and I was pretty shocked when black bridesmaid dresses became the norm. That doesn't make them unattractive. I've seen and sold many beautiful black bridesmaid dresses. I just don't think it's right to assume that black is appropriate at any and every wedding. It's great that it was fine for yours. Some people are fairly offended by it, so I don't think it's smart to have a blanket statement that black is acceptable at all weddings.

I live in the south and I see black at plenty of weddings. I don't think it's a regional thing, it just depends on how much one cares about ettiquette.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1306429648|2930899 said:

Red is bright so it's said to attract attention away from the bride. I wore red to two weddings before reading about the no-red rule. lol

RE: black. I'd wear it to a wedding, even in the summer! Most darker colors look better on me. Light summer colors make me look washed out!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
At most of the weddings I have been to recently, many of the women were wearing black. Personally, not my favorite look, but I think most people feel it's an appropriate color to wear, especially to evening/formal weddings.

Yssie|1306391809|2930621 said:
Then again, my circles aren't very etiquette conscious I suppose - in the last wedding I was at the bridal party was in black, and our thankyou cards had Thank You printed on the front ;))

So, off topic, but are thank you cards not supposed to have thank you printed on the front? Because that's what I've been sending out for my wedding gifts, and should probably stop if it's considered tacky. :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results