shape
carat
color
clarity

What do You Do When someone Flaunts their Ring in Your Face......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
IT happens to me all the time ! Some girls think u would be jealous I guess, not sure... but these are my experiences:

1. A lady handed me change and turned her hand (left hand) toward me and put the change in my hand / face.

2. When someone comes up to u, first they unnecessarily brush back their hair and talk so u see their ring

3. they show u something using their left ring finger as their pointing finger.

Anyone ever have this happen to them and if so, how did you handle it? What about when it''s So intentional? Do u ignore the ring?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2004 10:01:54 PM jewelgal wrote:

3. they show u something using their left ring finger as their pointing finger.

Anyone ever have this happen to them and if so, how did you handle it? What about when it's So intentional? Do u ignore the ring?----------------

OK, this one in particular has me in tears laughing! OMG!!! That is the most stupid way to "show off" a ring I have ever heard! That woman must've been extremely pressed to show her ring off and flaunt it to you. Please tell me it was some sort of "Jessica Simpson" ring!

I would make a point of only looking in her eyes if some wacko was showing her ring like that...well, maybe the softer side of me would go ahead and acknowledge it. Boy, and I thought I had been given "the finger" before
nono.gif
rolleyes.gif

Luv

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the complete opposite - I try not to use my left hand when doing things because I think people will think that I'm trying to flaunt my ring in front of them.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What to do...

Why not make some nice comment about the ring ? Not that I expect someone in the respective state of mind to get the joke
errrr.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
That's funny, but awful in the same way to where it lacks any class at all. These women are fishing for compliments!

As a guy, I do appreciate when my fiancee's ring gets complimented, because it cost a lot! (for poor me). That H&A gets a lot of comments without any flashing. However, flaunting shows no class.

I would just ignore those people.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol i know someone like that....
I asked for a closer look at the ring.
She took it off and handed it to me.
1ct i-j si1 fairly well cut but not ideal that her hubby paid way too much for but it is pretty.
I said very nice and handed it back after a close inspection.
She just grinned.

She waited 20 years for it and got married without a diamond and got a .20ct on her 5th aniversary and a 1ct on her 20th.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------

Anyone ever have this happen to them and if so, how did you handle it? What about when it's So intentional? Do u ignore the ring?----------------

Have you thought that someone may be very proud of the fact that they are engaged? Have you thought maybe they are very proud of their ring?

What would I do? Compliment them. Why think of anything else? So what if they are just flaunting it.

I had a young lady "flaunt" her ring recently. It was a family stone from her to be. It was about 1/3 of a carat. She was so darn proud of that ring. I ohhed and ahhed. She beamed with delight. Why deny someone that pleasure?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/8/2004 10:58:23 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

Have you thought that someone may be very proud of the fact that they are engaged? Have you thought maybe they are very proud of their ring?

What would I do? Compliment them. Why think of anything else? So what if they are just flaunting it.

I had a young lady 'flaunt' her ring recently. It was a family stone from her to be. It was about 1/3 of a carat. She was so darn proud of that ring. I ohhed and ahhed. She beamed with delight. Why deny someone that pleasure?

----------------

Well said.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it's really rudely done, and persistently rude, Im really rude in reply "OH MAN I cant beleive that huge black inclusion shows up without a loupe". Usually, Im pretty cool about it because Im sure I did it too. Oohs and ahs and congrats.

LGail

Shiny_Rock
Oh gosh, now I am afraid how and when I brush back my bangs and I will probably reconsider how I hand someone something.
8.gif
What if it is just coincidence?

Pointing with my left hand ring finger, that just seems more difficult than it is worth.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
if I point with anything other than my pointer finger I bet you can all guess which one Im using.
2.gif
My family and friends refer to it as "Oh there's Ame makin friends again"

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm with F&I on this. What's wrong with saying, "What a beautiful ring! Is that your engagement ring? That's so exciting! I wish you and your fiance a long life of health and happiness."

That's what I would do if I noticed someone calling my attention to her ring.

But I don't think I HAVE noticed anyone doing that. Maybe I'm just dense.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Are these total strangers flaunting their rings? How utterly random. I know when I get mine, I will be showing it off to every person I know, whether they're friends or casual acquaintences...
2.gif
...but I can't imagine sticking it in the face of someone I don't know at all. Strange.

While I agree it is kinda classless to flaunt your jewelry to people you don't know, if I noticed someone doing it I would probably just say something nice. They are probably just excited about it, after all... but if I thought they were just being snobbish or rude (you can tell the difference between excited and snobby), I'd either say something rude under the guise of lacking knowledge ("Oooh, what is that, like a half carat? TWO CARATS? Really? I always thought two carats would look bigger!") or give the most obvious "obligatory compliment" ever ("Wow, that's, um, ....nice.").

Mostly, though, I go around trying not to stare at people's diamonds. Thanks a lot, PS.
2.gif

(I saw one lady this weekend who had a HONKER on her hand, just huge, but I could tell it wasn't well-cut because it didn't have much life in it at all. And her matching earrings were fake. LOL!)

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...well, after reading some of the posts in response here I wanted to acknowledge that you guys make good points (like not denying someone the pleasure of having something that they are proud of complimented). That is a nice way to be.

My earlier comments were really geared toward the snobbish rude way that some folks flaunt their rings. I have had that done to me on a number of times with peoples' hands in my face (like personal space distance) and that is rude. Its really that type that I made a point not to respond to. But, I still think its funny that someone would point with their ring finger!
9.gif

Luv

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
For me it depends on the person. If she's newly engaged, I understand she is excited and will compliment and congratulate.
1.gif
if it's some stranger who is clearly trying to impress me or show me up, I'll ignore.
14.gif

Funny, I was interviewing a job candidate at work today and I made special effort to keep my left hand hidden under the desk...I am a very animated talker and have always used my hands a lot when I speak or present, but now with the upgraded ering, I would never want someone to think I was a flaunter
6.gif
! (not that I am sporting the Hope Diamond but you know what I mean
2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results