shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do for a living & do you like your job?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought this might be interesting - I know what some of you do just through reading other posts, but what do the rest of the PSers do for work?

I have two jobs - I sell real estate primarily, and I live near the beach (East Coast U.S.), so home prices are high. I've been selling real estate since 2003, and I generally like it. I love seeing homes and I REALLY love working with first time home buyers (even though those are the smaller sales). In my personal opinion, buying your first home is one of the most exciting things a person does in a lifetime, and I love being a part of that journey. Sometimes the adversarial nature of this job is frustrating - everything is a fight, which after almost 20 years gets tiresome.

Anyone who lived through the recession in my job, had to get a second job, which I also did in 2009. I started teaching for a University part time, to pay my bills and stay afloat, and I LOVE THAT JOB! Adjunct teaching certainly doesn't pay well per hour of work, but I really, really enjoy working with people that age (I only teach Freshmen and Sophomores). When real estate picked back up, I could have given up the teaching, but found that I just couldn't leave the teaching job. First, even if the paycheck is smaller, it's reliable and it always comes - I teach about 3 courses per semester. Second, I think I'd probably teach for free if I had to, because that is how much I love my students. I teach Communication courses, on topics such as Media (this Fall should be fun - haha), Interpersonal Communication and family dynamics, and public speaking. We have a great time together (pre COVID of course, as this Spring was really frustrating for so many of my students).

So real estate allows me the flexibility to keep teaching whenever I want and brings in a bigger income, but the teaching fills my heart up. It's a nice balance, and I never feel "married" to any one career. If I could teach full time, I'd do that in a minute, but full time jobs are really hard to find, and I don't necessarily want to finish the PhD, unless I knew a job was waiting for me. Overall, I really am grateful because I like my jobs (not every day, of course but most days), and I know many do work that they don't enjoy.

What do you do for work and do you like it?

EDIT: I hope this isn't an insensitive topic, due to the pandemic and people who are out of work. My husband was laid off for a while when the restaurants closed in the pandemic, so we only had my little teaching income for several months. If anyone thinks it is insensitive, I'd be happy to remove it!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Ive been a stay at home mom for 22 years! I’ve loved having the opportunity to do this and wouldn’t have chosen to do it any other way. Our youngest (twins) just graduated from high school so I feel my opportunities for a job are expanding. I’ve been taking GIA courses online as that is a passion of mine. Maybe that will lead to a job or maybe it will be for my own personal fulfillment, I don’t know yet? It’s an interesting feeling to now have the ability to do something just for myself!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive been a stay at home mom for 22 years! I’ve loved having the opportunity to do this and wouldn’t have chosen to do it any other way. Our youngest (twins) just graduated from high school so I feel my opportunities for a job are expanding. I’ve been taking GIA courses online as that is a passion of mine. Maybe that will lead to a job or maybe it will be for my own personal fulfillment, I don’t know yet? It’s an interesting feeling to now have the ability to do something just for myself!

That was my dream job - my sister has that job! Sadly, I couldn't have kids, so I just got more jobs :lol:. I think that I love my teaching job so much because I couldn't have kids, honestly. I'm sorry your kids graduated in the pandemic - what a crazy year for the 2020 graduates. Will they go to college in the fall? I keep hearing debates on whether parents should send their kids to college or not, due to the current circumstances.

Good for you, that you now have the time to focus on your interests - this is going to be an adventure for you also!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So a lot of people are aware that I'm in the trade, cutting Opals. I've been doing it for a few years now and it's quite an enjoyable business to run as cutting and polishing Opals is something I love doing. I also get to talk to a lot of amazing people from all around the world and seeing their final jewelry piece made with the Opal I sold them is something I take pride in as a craftsman.

I also work as a contractor land surveyor in the engineering field. Mostly what I do is mapping out lots of land for the design process, however we also do flood zone height checks and setting out of certain parts of builds like slab locations and heights. I've been doing it for about 5 years now but I've got guys in the company with 30 years of experience ringing me and asking me the best way to take certain measurements or produce data for mapping.
Right now the land surveying job is absolutely booming with work. I can't do enough client jobs right now which has me surprised in the current world climate, about two years ago I had virtually no surveying work and there was no outside reason for it as clients had indicated that they just didn't have people signing contracts. The housing market here has only picked up more speed since Covid and I'm doing 6-7 days per week with a lot of 12-14 hour days at the moment.
Make hay while the sun shines I suppose...

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think most people here know that I'm a teacher. I love it. I love the school I'm at. I've loved teaching since I started, however the first school I worked at did not respect or value their teachers. There was a lot of "we love you" words tossed around, but their actions did not. Often it was expected that we teach, but also if we were good at something else, it would be added to our job w/o additional compensation. Teachers all ready work a ton, but it was overwhelming. I finally left that school and went to a much smaller school. Liked it ok, but it was too small. It was like I moved to a tiny town where everyone was already friends and trying to fit in was difficult. However, the principal was AMAZING! First one to continually remind me that I'm a wife, mother, and then a teacher. He announced he was leaving toward the end of that school year and I legit cried. I begged him to take me with him to the new school. And I'm thankful that the new school had an opening. This school is AMAZING as all the administration value the teachers. I get a voice. In the middle of this pandemic, the teachers were consulted on how best to return. We have the option of teaching from home w/o negative recourse.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a lot of people are aware that I'm in the trade, cutting Opals. I've been doing it for a few years now and it's quite an enjoyable business to run as cutting and polishing Opals is something I love doing. I also get to talk to a lot of amazing people from all around the world and seeing their final jewelry piece made with the Opal I sold them is something I take pride in as a craftsman.

I also work as a contractor land surveyor in the engineering field. Mostly what I do is mapping out lots of land for the design process, however we also do flood zone height checks and setting out of certain parts of builds like slab locations and heights. I've been doing it for about 5 years now but I've got guys in the company with 30 years of experience ringing me and asking me the best way to take certain measurements or produce data for mapping.
Right now the land surveying job is absolutely booming with work. I can't do enough client jobs right now which has me surprised in the current world climate, about two years ago I had virtually no surveying work and there was no outside reason for it as clients had indicated that they just didn't have people signing contracts. The housing market here has only picked up more speed since Covid and I'm doing 6-7 days per week with a lot of 12-14 hour days at the moment.
Make hay while the sun shines I suppose...

Interesting! Real estate is going nuts right now, so I'm with you - may hay while the sun shines! But the opal business sounds really interesting - how wonderful that you are able to do something that makes your heart happy in that way :appl:. How did you get into that business?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think most people here know that I'm a teacher. I love it. I love the school I'm at. I've loved teaching since I started, however the first school I worked at did not respect or value their teachers. There was a lot of "we love you" words tossed around, but their actions did not. Often it was expected that we teach, but also if we were good at something else, it would be added to our job w/o additional compensation. Teachers all ready work a ton, but it was overwhelming. I finally left that school and went to a much smaller school. Liked it ok, but it was too small. It was like I moved to a tiny town where everyone was already friends and trying to fit in was difficult. However, the principal was AMAZING! First one to continually remind me that I'm a wife, mother, and then a teacher. He announced he was leaving toward the end of that school year and I legit cried. I begged him to take me with him to the new school. And I'm thankful that the new school had an opening. This school is AMAZING as all the administration value the teachers. I get a voice. In the middle of this pandemic, the teachers were consulted on how best to return. We have the option of teaching from home w/o negative recourse.

Wonderful! I'm so glad you had that choice - my college roommate teaches at a private school, and they've just been instructed that they have to go back, but half fo the students will not be going back. So they have to teach and zoom at the same time - seems totally impossible to me. I almost cried for her. What age and subject do you teach?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! I'm so glad you had that choice - my college roommate teaches at a private school, and they've just been instructed that they have to go back, but half fo the students will not be going back. So they have to teach and zoom at the same time - seems totally impossible to me. I almost cried for her. What age and subject do you teach?

I teach middle school science. Currently 7 & 8th grade so ages from 12-14ish. :) I love it. I am at a charter school so we have more freedoms than those who are in the main school districts. Charter schools are public schools, but we get less funding than the main district schools

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I teach middle school science. Currently 7 & 8th grade so ages from 12-14ish. :) I love it. I am at a charter school so we have more freedoms than those who are in the main school districts. Charter schools are public schools, but we get less funding than the main district schools

Oh! So, you're an angel or some kind of saint then :lol: - My sister taught middle school science before she had kids! I always loved hearing her stories.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved my career of almost 30 years.

I was an optometrist working at a non profit multidisciplinary health clinic. My patients were children and adults with developmental disabilities.

It was challenging but rewarding beyond words. Professionally and emotionally fulfilling. My patients were among the best people I know. ❤️

I am now retired but will always value the time I spent with these wonderful individuals I had the honor and privilege of knowing and helping.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh! So, you're an angel or some kind of saint then :lol: - My sister taught middle school science before she had kids! I always loved hearing her stories.

LOL Middle schoolers are crazy, and their teachers are too. With middle school age there really is no middle ground, you either love it or hate it. There is so much going on at that age developmentally they essentially turn back into toddlers (with better bladder control, usually :shock: ). Much sass, crying, doing stupid things (not thinking things through, like my son cutting the wires on his remote control car because he was mad)...

But they are so much fun! They understand sarcasm (and can dish it), but still love the elementary things (like stickers! and hugs to teacher). :D

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved my career of almost 30 years.

I was an optometrist working at a non profit multidisciplinary health clinic. My patients were children and adults with developmental disabilities.

It was challenging but rewarding beyond words. Professionally and emotionally fulfilling. My patients were among the best people I know. ❤

I am now retired but will always value the time I spent with these wonderful individuals I had the honor and privilege of knowing and helping.

What a wonderful story, and so impressive to be retired so young! I'd never leave that shore house of yours unless someone forced me out :love:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Middle schoolers are crazy, and their teachers are too. With middle school age there really is no middle ground, you either love it or hate it. There is so much going on at that age developmentally they essentially turn back into toddlers (with better bladder control, usually :shock: ). Much sass, crying, doing stupid things (not thinking things through, like my son cutting the wires on his remote control car because he was mad)...

But they are so much fun! They understand sarcasm (and can dish it), but still love the elementary things (like stickers! and hugs to teacher). :D

She used to say exactly that same thing - she loved that age. Old enough to actually learn, but young enough that not "everything" is stupid or lame quite yet.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I was a landscape architect but got out as there wasn't enough of an income. Then I was a greenskeeper for 20 years before staying home to raise 2 lads. Got my first aid cert and became a mariner before a work accident put me in the shore-based coffee shop. Now I sell gallons of coffee daily LOL. It's mind numbingly monotonous, but I have to work. So I'm on a break (omfg, it's the long weekend here!) and checking out the pretty things that occupy my border collie brain LOL.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for an medical insurance company, I work in the area that deals with claims and claims coverage, do I like it? NO...however it pays the bills and I been there for 23 years so I get lots of vacation time lol

Q

Queenie60

I was a stay at home mom for 23 years and about 3.5 years ago (after my youngest went off to college) I got a job for a local, high producing Realtor. I am his Business Manager. Pre-covid I found myself working too many hours, it has become a tad slow and I now find myself at 15 to 20 hours per week which is perfect for me. I have found a nice balance between taking care of my home/family and having the fulfillment I need with my job.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a landscape architect but got out as there wasn't enough of an income. Then I was a greenskeeper for 20 years before staying home to raise 2 lads. Got my first aid cert and became a mariner before a work accident put me in the shore-based coffee shop. Now I sell gallons of coffee daily LOL. It's mind numbingly monotonous, but I have to work. So I'm on a break (omfg, it's the long weekend here!) and checking out the pretty things that occupy my border collie brain LOL.

I've done work like that - it can be very tedious, so I'll send warm thoughts that something you like better comes along! Are you on the gardening thread? You must know TONS.

I work for an medical insurance company, I work in the area that deals with claims and claims coverage, do I like it? NO...however it pays the bills and I been there for 23 years so I get lots of vacation time lol

There certainly is value in vacation time, and reliability of income! I'd think that claims and coverage comes with some headaches.

I was a stay at home mom for 23 years and about 3.5 years ago (after my youngest went off to college) I got a job for a local, high producing Realtor. I am his Business Manager. Pre-covid I found myself working too many hours, it has become a tad slow and I now find myself at 15 to 20 hours per week which is perfect for me. I have found a nice balance between taking care of my home/family and having the fulfillment I need with my job.

Ah, real estate - very high paced job! How do you like the industry in general? 15-20 hours sounds pretty good to me right now - our market is nuts. Every time I think I'm going to have a day off, I end up at the computer until midnight - I am not complaining, because who knows when it might turn and recess.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had two careers and now retired from both, LE and roadway design/transportation planning. Both were stressful and I am now able to enjoy the things I wanted to do but never had the time or stamina after work.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SAHM of 13 years, I've always wanted to be home with the kids so this is my dream and I love it. I love that I have been present for every milestone.

Prior to this I worked at an insurance agency as a customer service rep, I was good at my job but insurance is one of those things that people more or less have out of obligation, so it can be an unpleasant job.

I did get a job as an administrative assistant in March of this year, worked s few weeks and then the state shut down and so did that job. Still a SAHM and it doesn't appear that job will be in jeopardy for the next 12 years :D

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I work for a digital healthcare consulting firm as a Knowledge Manager and specialize in Human Computer Interaction (like user experience design). After a string of terrible jobs, I found a really great job and am very grateful. Although business has been tough, so time will tell if the company can keep itself afloat.

It is like library science, except I have to develop my own ontology and instead of organizing books, it is strategies consultants create, and instead of being in a library, it is housed in a web-app - and I have to make sure the "flow" of the digital space is tidy, organized and easy to navigate.

It is an exciting role - but also really draining / challenging. But it is such a rare type of job.

It has been a long and weird road for me. I trained first as an opera singer, then as a fine artist & painter, taught painting & drawing to middle schoolers (tremendous RESPECT for educators), worked at a cat rescue, then did business writing to pay the bills -- blah blah.

Took a while to find the shoe that fit. And who knows, it may not fit in 5 years :lol:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
That was my dream job - my sister has that job! Sadly, I couldn't have kids, so I just got more jobs :lol:. I think that I love my teaching job so much because I couldn't have kids, honestly. I'm sorry your kids graduated in the pandemic - what a crazy year for the 2020 graduates. Will they go to college in the fall? I keep hearing debates on whether parents should send their kids to college or not, due to the current circumstances.

Good for you, that you now have the time to focus on your interests - this is going to be an adventure for you also!

Odd times for sure! Our oldest son graduated college early in December. Im so glad he was able to attend and walk in a graduation ceremony! Our oldest daughter is in the Air Force and we were able to attend her graduation from Basic Training in January! Then Covid hit in March.... so our two youngest daughters finished their Senior year at home. Boo! A bit of an adjustment and for sure has been a lesson in managing disappointments in life for them. They will be attending community college in the fall.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am (?) was (?) a dental hygienist for 42 years before Covid. Loved my job. Because I’m immune compromised I can’t go back until there is a vaccine. I’m not sure if I want to go back.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odd times for sure! Our oldest son graduated college early in December. Im so glad he was able to attend and walk in a graduation ceremony! Our oldest daughter is in the Air Force and we were able to attend her graduation from Basic Training in January! Then Covid hit in March.... so our two youngest daughters finished their Senior year at home. Boo! A bit of an adjustment and for sure has been a lesson in managing disappointments in life for them. They will be attending community college in the fall.

I think this is a smart choice. No one is really going back anyway, so tuition prices are absolutely nuts for zooming from a bedroom. If I was college bound, I'd have made this choice also.

Q

Queenie60

I've done work like that - it can be very tedious, so I'll send warm thoughts that something you like better comes along! Are you on the gardening thread? You must know TONS.

There certainly is value in vacation time, and reliability of income! I'd think that claims and coverage comes with some headaches.

Ah, real estate - very high paced job! How do you like the industry in general? 15-20 hours sounds pretty good to me right now - our market is nuts. Every time I think I'm going to have a day off, I end up at the computer until midnight - I am not complaining, because who knows when it might turn and recess.

Yes, we are quite busy here in the Silicon Valley. Real Estate has held its value here in our area. I enjoy the industry. My husband and I have been in the Real Estate Business for more than 30 years - we own and operate multifamily housing (apartments) - I chose to work in residential and have my own thing going. I am now rethinking and may want to join my husband and help to manage our assets. Better pay!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I am a former math teacher in Ukraine, grades 5-12. Stressful but rewarding. The school I worked at was great. Happy years! In the US I worked as a babysitter making $2.50/hour at the beginning, then got a raise and made $4/hour. After moving from NC to CA, I attended vocational school and after "graduation" worked as a pharm tech at a busy retail pharmacy for nearly12 years. Stressful but rewarding. Quit when we got a GSP that required 24/7 attention. He is 6y.o. and has never spent more than 5 min. being alone at home (the situation when I go outside and talk to a mailman or a neighbor for a short time). I am a full time nanny/grandma now. Stressful but extremely rewarding. Especially when the toddler speaks Ukrainian and understands what we are talking to her.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I am a RE broker but only handle transactions for DH. We are landlords (commercial and residential) and flip houses. So I am semi-retired. I do anything from listing properties for sale/rent to cleaning up the landscape and parking lot at our commercial property. Clean out rentals and flips and do demo, painting. landscaping. I really enjoy it (most of the time).
Prior to this I was a manager in Supply Chain in the tech industry. Which I enjoyed but it was stressful. I only miss the cheap health insurance.

I also had 7 years as a FT SAHM, then worked part-time for 7 years before going FT. Before kids I was in procurement in the steel industry.
I've enjoyed each stage in my life/career, and during each period felt it was my favorite. So I feel fortunate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results