shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I have an old Natalie K setting that I never liked and I don''t know if I should try to do something with it or sell it or other. It came with oval diamonds and they were awful so I had them switched out for sapphires. I have a pretty red spinel that I thought I might be able to set in the setting (which has been with my jeweler for years since I took the diamond out of it), but it doesn''t look great in the photo my jeweler took. He just plopped it in to see how it may look. The color in the photo is not realistic...the stone is really quite red. The stone is also cushionish in shape. The photo makes it look rounder than it is. My jeweler asked if I wanted to put rounds on the side instead or diamonds again. Do any of you have any ideas? Should I give up on the setting? I really hate to put more money into changing it and yet wanted to try to make use of it.

Your ideas are appreciated!

lawmax
1.gif

spinel_saph.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cushion and oval sides just doesnt look right to me. I have a cushion center stone with very small round sidestones; some people love it, others don''t. Oval sides should go with an oval center.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm, i''m with you, hate to get rid of it,, maybe make it into a RHR,, I thought of a princess cut somthing in the middle.. if you wanted to keep your oval sides.. but instead of the traditional set, angle it, like in a kite shape. IDK just a thought?

H

hlpkaixin3344

yeah....I just can''t like this setting no matter how i try. I should have exchanged it when it was first bought for me, but I didn''t want to insult the one who gave it to me. I was considering making this into a right hand ring.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I changed my email address and became "anonymous". eerie

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The colors of this spinel and sapphires are too different to work together (even if spinel is a bit more red than in a photo). I''d get something similar in tone (darkness) to sapphires and on the cool side, to work with both, sapphires and platinum (or is it white gold?). A few suggestions:

- rhodolite, tsavorite or demantoid garnet (depending on budget and color preference)
- london blue topaz (if you don''t mind the treatment and the fact that it''s super cheap)
- chrome or blue tourmaline (one is deep bluish green, the other dark greenish blue)
- purple sapphire
- amethyst (affordable and easy to source)
- iolite (same as amethyst)
- blue or purple spinel (both dark and nice, but they can be hard to find in those shades, and expensive too)

Even tanzanite might work, if you choose not to wear the ring very often.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A different question for you ...............

Do you actually LIKE the setting? If not, then sell it. You''ll never be happy no matter what stones go in.

If you do like it then it''s work persevering with stone choices although I''ve got to say that the combo in the photo your jeweller took doesn''t flow and the central stone looks overpowered by the sides which is never great.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 5:10:32 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
A different question for you ...............

Do you actually LIKE the setting? If not, then sell it. You''ll never be happy no matter what stones go in.
I agree. At this point, I get the feeling that you probably won''t LOVE it no matter what stone you put in it. I''d sell, if it were me because I know I won''t wear something that I don''t love.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel is much smaller obviously than the diamond that was in the setting (1.62 EightStar). At this point, I think I''ll never like this setting. I have a color change garnet, but I just don''t think it will look any better.

Best way to sell? I can ask the jeweler if he wants to sell it for me or put it on ebay. I''m no great ebayer, though my boyfriend is. Any hints? The darn thing is platinum and was about $2000 I think. That was back in 2001 or so.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don''t like the setting, then no matter what you put in it (diamond or not) will not make it look any prettier in your eyes. You could consign it with Pearlmans at www.pearlmanjewelers.com or ebay. Your local jeweller will most likely charge more to sell it but being local makes it easier for you.

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the "sell it" camp. You said it has been with your jeweler for years since you removed the center diamond. If you haven''t done anything with it for this length of time, you may just not like the setting at all. You changed the sides to sapphire and still didn''t like the setting. I would sell the setting and take the proceeds and find a new home appopriate for the spinel. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results