shape
carat
color
clarity

What did you learn about jewellery on PS?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me, they are face up size of the stone , finger coverage of a ring, blackening of stone under certain lighting, ASET, closed c axis of tourmaline. Although I am not fully understand about the finger coverage and ASET

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned a lot about old cuts and the secondary market. I find it impossible to buy straight retail, although there are settings I absolutely would love to have to reset what I own.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Trying to figure out how to stack rings is what brought me to Pricescope. I couldn't figure out why adding another ring to my original wedding set was just not working. It turns out that my wedding band and engagement ring are just too wide to realistically add another band. I have been experimenting with lots of inexpensive bands in various styles/sizes to figure out what I like. Tons of pictures on "Stack of the Day" or "Show me your Stacking Bands" helped me figure out what I like the look of.

I will also say that I have loved learning all about old cuts.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
That brick and mortar stores will rarely carry diamonds anywhere near the quality and price you can find online.

I've also learned a bit about different alloys of platinum, and about porosity.

That a messy clarity plot can sometimes be eyeclean, while a stone that seems to have just a few inclusions on the plot can be bad in real life.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
*I definatly got ripped off at the mall jewler...but i could have done alot worse
*I still have soooo much more to learn
*Its not all about the 4 Cs
*There are so many more different kinds of geme stones than i knew about before
*people are very generouse with their knowledge here
thank you

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned not to trust a jeweler who is a "friend" of my parents. Hard learned lesson but a worthwhile one indeed.

I learned not to get custom from an unknown jewelry store just because they have pretty jewelry. Another expensive mistake. But a lesson that is once learned is never forgotten.

I learned that there are some amazing skilled jewelers and I will never settle for less than amazing again.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is king in diamonds; and I have learnt a lot about CSs.
Lastly, there are many out there who like blings as much as I do.
I still remember the time when I met up with @mochiko42 , took one look at her then e-ring and recognised it as an OEC, something that none of her usual social circle was able to do (please correct me if my recollection is incorrect).

DK :))

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, where do I start?
I guess the biggest thing is do your homework, ask questions (don't necessarily believe what you're told either). Then come here and run it by your peeps.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I learned about my taste and the best and most suitable options available, so that every purchase makes me happily enjoy forever with no regrets or change of mind.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned most diamonds are cut for carat weight only, light performance be dammed.
Few shoppers bother to learn this, so it continues. :nono:

When I teach people about this I use an analogy of a mirror and a flashlight ...
You are in a dark room with a flashlight, and another person is holding a mirror.
Only when the mirror is angled just right will the beam of light shine in your eyes, even though you can still see the light in the mirror wherever the mirror points it on your side of the room.

So it is with a diamond, only there are 57 mirrors that must be angled just right. (57 facets must be positioned just right)
The noob asks, "Then why isn't every diamond cut this way?"
Because it requires more of the precious carat weight to be polished away and send down the drain.
Few shoppers understand cut, but everyone understands carat weight.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
-That Signet stores are crap.

-That there are small businesses with great talent.

-that I can customize jewelry in almost any way I want.

-that I can find great friends on here. ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-that I can find great friends on here. ;)2

True dat. We came to PS for the bling but stayed for so much more.
There is nothing better than a friend...unless it is a friend who loves diamonds. :love:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I didn't know !@#$%&* about diamonds or gemstones prior to PS. :D

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difference between OEC and MRB.. before PS I had a OEC that I had given back to my ex and I couldn't figure out why my new ring with my new husband sucked compared to my beautiful, small stone from my ex.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-That Signet stores are crap.

I had not heard of Signet so I Googled it.
I was surprised Signet also operates James Allen. :shock:

"Signet Jewelers is the world's largest retailer of diamond jewelry and the largest specialty jewelry retailer in the US, UK, and Canada. In the US, Signet operates over 2,900 stores in all 50 states primarily under the name brands of Kay Jewelers, Zales, Jared The Galleria Of Jewelry, and Piercing Pagoda. In the UK, Signet operates approximately 500 stores under the name brands of H.Samuel and Ernest Jones. Signet also operates more than 150 stores in Canada mostly under the name Peoples Jewellers. Signet also operates JamesAllen.com."

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I had not heard of Signet so I Googled it.
I was surprised Signet also operates James Allen. :shock:

"Signet Jewelers is the world's largest retailer of diamond jewelry and the largest specialty jewelry retailer in the US, UK, and Canada. In the US, Signet operates over 2,900 stores in all 50 states primarily under the name brands of Kay Jewelers, Zales, Jared The Galleria Of Jewelry, and Piercing Pagoda. In the UK, Signet operates approximately 500 stores under the name brands of H.Samuel and Ernest Jones. Signet also operates more than 150 stores in Canada mostly under the name Peoples Jewellers. Signet also operates JamesAllen.com."

Yes... they just bought James Allen. If you noticed funny business in the past few months, this is why.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes... they just bought James Allen. If you noticed funny business in the past few months, this is why.

How depressing.
JA being bought by the owners of the likes of Zales, Jareds and Kay is very disappointing.
What a horrible blow to JA's image. :(sad
Oh well, as they say, follow the money.
I'm sure the seller is enjoying that huge check.

I'm not rock shopping ATT, but I have noticed you can no longer see GIA reports on JA's website.
When you click on the thumbnail for the GIA report instead of seeing the report, like it was in the past and still is on every vendor that I'd buy from, JA gives you a pop up screen telling you to call a toll free number, and toll free numbers capture your phone number. :nono:
Yuck! A terrible change.

If shopping I'd just click on to one of JA's competitors with a more friendly website.

Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That it's a good thing I don't like large sized gems or jewelry on me because I couldn't afford the coveted DSS size of diamonds or gemstones here on PS. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results