shape
carat
color
clarity

What cut stones come from Mexico?

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
I'm going on vacation and want to buy a couple of small stones as a memento. I have a pair of rubies from Thailand, and a pair of sapphires I got in India. What should I get in Mexico? Fire Opal? Labradorite? Sphalerite?

vinastudio

Rough_Rock
Trade
The most typical (and easiest to get) would be Fire Opal. You will find mostly cabochons from light yellow to dark red. Bigger sizes are hard to get. On our last trip we did not see any loose faceted stones so we bought some cabs which were faceted later and turned out very beautiful. Keep in mind that these are soft and delicate stones and not suitable for everyday wear.
If you go to Mexico City you could probably find some opals at the small Jewelry stores around Zocalo. Or directly at the mining sites for example in Tequisquiapan in the state Queretaro or the famous mines in Magdalena, Jalisco.
Another option would be Topas from San Luis Potosi or Zacatecas (not always color stable) or the famous yellow Apatite from Durango.

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
There are two Mexican gemstones that I particularly love! Mexican Fire Opal comes in a yellow-orange-red range of colors, in both precious (w/play of color) and non-precious varieties, with the precious being much rarer/more expensive. They have some nice Contra Luz Opals as well, if you like crystal opal. And my favorite flavor of Topaz is the "Imperial" Guerrero Topaz, which is sometimes color stable. This location has been closed/flooded for decades, so supply is dwindling but there's still a good bit kicking around. Top pieces will be orange with a touch of brown or a rich burgundy. If you can find a piece of this sitting in a shop window or case where you know it has gotten sunlight, you can be pretty sure it's stable. On the Durango Apatite the pure yellows are usually preferred, with the greenish yellows commanding less.
Happy vacation and bring us some pictures of jewelry shopping in Mexico :wavey:

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hope you have a grand trip ...

You can also find fire agate, danburite, and amber among the others listed above...

Be safe and have a blast !!!

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Turquoise!

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
excellent - thanks for the tips everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results