carat
color
clarity

What colour tourmaline is this ?

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

I just bought a 6mm tourmaline. The vendor says it's a windex blue tourmaline but I'm not sure if that's what it is. Maybe lagoon or something else? It's from Mozambique and the vendor says it's possible it may have copper content.

Here are some photos and the last one is an indoor shot.

Would love the feedback of some of the more experienced PSers! It's my first blue tourmaline purchase!

IMG_3503.PNG
IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3506.PNG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say teal blue. It reminds me of some blue zircon. It looks Namibian. It's pretty typical for that region. I would not call it paraiba blue if that's what the vendor is insinuating with his "windex blue" terminology.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with TL; it looks like a green blue tourmaline and nowhere close to a Paraiba hue nor level of saturation.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TL and @chrono agree with you but it does look different from other blue green tourmalines I've seen on PS so don't quite know what to expect. Also looks very different in photos with different lighting... bit worried now :???:

Reactions: T L

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's to be expected for a teal tourmaline. Again, not even remotely close to Paraiba colouration in any of the pictures.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like a teal tourmaline from your photos. Teal tourmaline are really popular on PS (because they are gorgeous obviously).

You could probably find several posts about them by searching teal tourmaline or blue green tourmaline. You have a lovely gem, but I hope the vendor did not attach a paraiba price tag onto it.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a blue green tourmaline to me. Very pretty, but not a paraiba-type.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL and @chrono agree with you but it does look different from other blue green tourmalines I've seen on PS so don't quite know what to expect. Also looks very different in photos with different lighting... bit worried now :???:

It's still a very lovely stone, I just wouldn't pay a premium for copper bearing or paraiba status on it.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'll give it another search. I've seen many blue green threads but not seen this colour actually. Usually more green than this...

And no I didn't pay Paraiba like price for it. I have heard of windex blue before and just got intrigued and bought it super quick!

It looks like a teal tourmaline from your photos. Teal tourmaline are really popular on PS (because they are gorgeous obviously).

You could probably find several posts about them by searching teal tourmaline or blue green tourmaline. You have a lovely gem, but I hope the vendor did not attach a paraiba price tag onto it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price you paid is fair. Glad the vendor didn't charge you PT prices. Looks like a beautiful tourmaline.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Gemobsessed you may be interested to visit the Singapore Jewellery and Gem Fair end October http://www.singaporejewellerygemfair.com/

You may want to hold off your shopping till then. There are also a few Singapore settings factories that usually will exhibit and have a booth, you can approach them for quotes for setting your pieces too.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phew! Thanks Chrono
The price you paid is fair. Glad the vendor didn't charge you PT prices. Looks like a beautiful tourmaline.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh this is perfect! I'll definitely go. Yes I'll hold off on the shopping. Would be great to get some options and more ideas!

@Gemobsessed you may be interested to visit the Singapore Jewellery and Gem Fair end October http://www.singaporejewellerygemfair.com/

You may want to hold off your shopping till then. There are also a few Singapore settings factories that usually will exhibit and have a booth, you can approach them for quotes for setting your pieces too.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very fair price. Paraiba green blue (according to GIA) looks more like this in different lighting:
20160821_220335.jpg
20160820_130804.jpg

20160820_131117.jpg

Windex blue:
r5489_3wx.jpg

20160913_133626.jpg

Check out the thread on paraibas. Some gorgeous color stones there!

Attachments

• 20160913_134152.jpg
    20160913_134152.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 87

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow what a lovely ring!! That's a real estate price you have there :shock:

That's a very fair price. Paraiba green blue (according to GIA) looks more like this in different lighting:
20160821_220335.jpg
20160820_130804.jpg

20160820_131117.jpg

Windex blue:
r5489_3wx.jpg

20160913_133626.jpg

Check out the thread on paraibas. Some gorgeous color stones there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results