shape
carat
color
clarity

What color overtones look best with white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to get a pearl set, and most of the jewelry I wear is white gold and would be worn at the same time. Does anyone have an opinion or a preference? Btw I'm going with white Freshadamas in 7-8mm. I'm pretty tan right now, but most of the year I'm very pale. Thanks in advance!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I personally like the silver overtones with white gold. But that''s just my opinion.

For rose overtones, i''d stick with yellow, even though white really is fine. It''s just a preference.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks elle chris. I actually wish that pearl paradise had rose gold as an option. Does anyone know of a pearl website that does? I don''t think I''ve seen one.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I would do silver overtones. I think that''s the overtone that tends to look universally good with any skin tone
1.gif
I have some ivory toned pearls but I hardly ever wear them - whereas I wear my new silver ones all the time. And I LOVE the Freshadamas - they are gorgeous!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks BEG!! Can I see a picture of the silver toned ones next to the ivory ones? I just got my mom and grandma each a pair of the studs, and they definitely looked different, but I couldn''t put my finger on why. I requested rose or silver overtones, but no ivory. They both looked rosy, just different shades of rosy if that makes any sense. I need to get better at identifying them before I decide what I want for sure!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have a rose overtone strand with white gold. I think the color is gorgeous, and not "warm" looking at all, just a hit of cool toned pink with orient, so it looks great with the white gold.

My skin is super pale, and the cool-rose undertone looks very flattering with pale skin... I suspect a whiter strand would look more washed-out on me.

ETA: I have discovered, though, that nobody is ever gonna see the clasp on my pearl strands- if you have hair that covers your neck, it just doesn't matter too much.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 1:28:18 AM
Author: Kelli
Thanks BEG!! Can I see a picture of the silver toned ones next to the ivory ones? I just got my mom and grandma each a pair of the studs, and they definitely looked different, but I couldn''t put my finger on why. I requested rose or silver overtones, but no ivory. They both looked rosy, just different shades of rosy if that makes any sense. I need to get better at identifying them before I decide what I want for sure!

Hey Kelli! I''ll go take a few snaps later today. The ivory ones are distinctively ivory though. This is a guess, but I''d imagine you wouldn''t see quite so much a difference between white pearls with a silver overtone and white pearls with an ivory overtone - it''ll be more subtle.

If you''re pale most of the time, I think LGK''s suggestion (of rose overtones) will be really flattering (and still look good with a tan). I tend to be fairly dark most of the year so I always go for the silver overtones.

Pictures of the pearls you ordered for your mom and grandma?
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would base the overtones on what looks good with your skin more than what goes with the metal.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. It would be nice to see some pics of different pearls next to the white metal. Maybe they can send you some.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2009 4:40:23 PM
Author: innerkitten
I would base the overtones on what looks good with your skin more than what goes with the metal.
You''re right, you should go with what looks best on you.
Awhile ago though I saw a south sea strand with silvery overtons. It was just stunning, and I soo didn''t care that pinks looked better on me. If there was a way I could justify an almost 20k purchase to my husband, i would of snapped it up. Too bad i couldn''t think of a reason
8.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Where did you see them Elle? They sound pretty.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
it was actually in the diamond district in nyc.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your input ladies! I do have some pics of the pearls I got for my mom and grandma, but they''re terrible! I think diamonds are so much easier to photograph than pearls! You still can see the color difference in them though, so I''ll try to get them posted in the morning. You have a good point about getting what matches my skin tone instead of what matches the white gold. The thing is I''m not sure. Most of the year I am pale, but I tan easily when I''m outside so I''m never really WHITE WHITE. I thought that starck white wedding dresses would look terrible on me, but they actually looked just as good if not better than the "diamond white" one I ended up with. So I don''t know. Maybe I could go into some jewelry stores and try stuff on before I choose.

I was also wanting to order a matching loose pearl to get a ring made with a Stuller setting I like. I guess you''ll see the gold in that much more than the rest of it.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Kelli, if you go to the Pearl Paradise site, you can get a photo showing 3 arms of different skin tones all side by side. Each arm is wearing a silver, rose, and ivory bracelet so that you can get an idea of what they might look like on you. I know you are getting Freshdamas but to see the photo, you need to go to the Akoya page. Click on any of the items and in the lower left corner will be a box of definitions. If you hover on "What is this?" next to overtone, the photo pops up.

Enjoy your purchase!

Julie

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you jmtomaui! Right now I look just like the second arm. Most of the year I''m a little more pale, but probably never quite as fair as the first picture. I definitely don''t want ivory, but do you think silver or rose looks better on the first two arms?

Btw I''m sure I''m over-thinking this, but I tend to be soooo picky about this stuff and don''t want to end up with buyer''s remorse!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rose overtones will look good on most people. What is your hair color? I have fair skin and dark brown hair and have a strand of rose overtone pearls and the Freshadama rose overtone studs. I could probably wear the silver overtone as well. I picture the ivory more on redheads and maybe some blondes. The overtone is actually very subtle, though. It would be hard to go wrong with rose or silver, IMO.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My hair is dirty blonde to light brown, depending on how often I''m in the sun or whether I''ve bothered with highlights or low-lights. My eyes are hazel. I''m thinking rose would be more visually interesting, but I''m not sure yet. I don''t think I''ve seen any silver ones in person. Maybe Friday I can go look! FUN!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ok I got the pics resized of the mother''s day studs. They''re really bad pics, but maybe you can see enough to tell me what the overtones look like. Thanks!

pearls1a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Another

pearls1b.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
:)

pearls1c.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Outside, with a little sunlight hitting them.

pearls1d.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And last one. Is it me or so the rosier ones look to have more luster? They were the ones that really drew my eyes in, but I''m not sure if it was because of the color or the fact that they looked shinier to me. But I thought all Freshadamas were supposed to be as lustrous as can be, so I don''t know. Thanks for looking!

pearls1e.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Btw I think the ones on the left in the first three pictures are actually the ones on the right in the outdoor pictures.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Tough to say. I think you''re right the ones on the left look nicer in the indoor photos, but they both look like nice sets. Pearls are so tough to photograph. Sometimes in dim lighting they show their colors better, or w/out flash.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
With the indoor pics it''s difficult to tell, but the right ones outside look like they have a better luster. Both sets indoors and outdoors look like they have a pink overtone on my screen.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 11:10:04 AM
And last one. Is it me or so the rosier ones look to have more luster? They were the ones that really drew my eyes in, but I'm not sure if it was because of the color or the fact that they looked shinier to me. But I thought all Freshadamas were supposed to be as lustrous as can be, so I don't know. Thanks for looking!
Oh my gosh Kelli, those are beautiful. I am an overtone nut! I had PP send me both rose and silver rose so I could see what looked best one me. I bought silver rose overtone because I I tend to look better in cool colors. If you look better in warm colors I would get the rose. I like a little bit of color in my pearls that is why I would either lean to the silver rose or rose. To me the silver would look the whites and the ivory, well ivory (better for a redhead I think). Just a little fyi, Mikimotos are rose overtone and Iridesse at Tiffany's is silver overtone.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply Skippy! I''m glad someone else is as picky as I am.
1.gif
I don''t know which tones look better on me, I go back and forth. Somedays I get in my warm tones mood and put on my yellow and rose gold stuff, and some days it''s all white. My e-ring and pendant are white. I have a yellow gold ring with a goldish freshwater pearl that I really like, but I''d like to get some pearls that look great with my all white gold days too.

Thanks for the tip about the Mikimoto and Iridesse pearls. There''s a mall near me with a Tiffany''s and plenty of other jewelry stores. It would be fun to go try stuff on anyway!
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 11:46:12 PM
Thanks for your reply Skippy! I'm glad someone else is as picky as I am.
1.gif
I don't know which tones look better on me, I go back and forth. Somedays I get in my warm tones mood and put on my yellow and rose gold stuff, and some days it's all white. My e-ring and pendant are white. I have a yellow gold ring with a goldish freshwater pearl that I really like, but I'd like to get some pearls that look great with my all white gold days too.

Thanks for the tip about the Mikimoto and Iridesse pearls. There's a mall near me with a Tiffany's and plenty of other jewelry stores. It would be fun to go try stuff on anyway!
31.gif
Kelli, if you check out PP http://pearlparadise.com/70-75-mm-White-Akoya-Pearl-Bracelet108.aspx
next to overtone click on (or hover your mouse over) "what is this?" and you see skin tones with overtones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results