shape
carat
color
clarity

What can I afford?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the vague title. I''ve been looking into buying an e-ring for a while now (on and off for over 5 months), and I''m asking for some help with this. I''ve decided on a solitaire setting, something similar to either this or this.

The part I''m looking for some help on is the diamond, specifically the size of the diamond. I''m looking for a RB with an ideal cut, eye-clean (around VS2), and color either H or I. My budget is $3500 to $4000 for the stone. So my question is, given all of these, what is the largest size I can realistically consider? Obviously, the bigger the rock the better. But I''d rather buy a half carat stone with sparkle and fire (don''t even know if I''m using the terms correctly here) than a 2 carat rock that might as well be a rock.

Thanks for helping out the new guy!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:21:06 PM
Author:DLSecret
Sorry for the vague title. I've been looking into buying an e-ring for a while now (on and off for over 5 months), and I'm asking for some help with this. I've decided on a solitaire setting, something similar to either this or this.

The part I'm looking for some help on is the diamond, specifically the size of the diamond. I'm looking for a RB with an ideal cut, eye-clean (around VS2), and color either H or I. My budget is $3500 to $4000 for the stone. So my question is, given all of these, what is the largest size I can realistically consider? Obviously, the bigger the rock the better. But I'd rather buy a half carat stone with sparkle and fire (don't even know if I'm using the terms correctly here) than a 2 carat rock that might as well be a rock.

Thanks for helping out the new guy!
Welcome!

It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so very important to concentrate on that aspect of your diamond. For the budget you could get around .75ct or a bit more if you would consider H I or J colour and even S1 clarity which has been verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor ( GIA or AGS graded). If you would like we could post some suggestions for you.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5229/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5172/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5485/

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and brooklyngirl!

Yeah, VS2 is just a rough guideline, as is H or I color. As long as the stone appears clean and clear to the naked eye (both of which I''d ask to be check once I settle on a particular diamond), the grading does not concern me as much in these two categories. As I mentioned, the cut is what I''m primarily concerned with, and I''m looking for the less amount of light leakage if any.

I''m definitely considering a few of the ones you''ve posted, as well as looking at some other ones. Gotta pick up the pace as I''m on a deadline here. Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 3:04:54 PM
Author: DLSecret
Thanks Lorelei and brooklyngirl!

Yeah, VS2 is just a rough guideline, as is H or I color. As long as the stone appears clean and clear to the naked eye (both of which I''d ask to be check once I settle on a particular diamond), the grading does not concern me as much in these two categories. As I mentioned, the cut is what I''m primarily concerned with, and I''m looking for the less amount of light leakage if any.

I''m definitely considering a few of the ones you''ve posted, as well as looking at some other ones. Gotta pick up the pace as I''m on a deadline here. Thanks again!
Most welcome, let us know if you need any more help!

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome! I hope you''ll be back with pics of what you ended up with!

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
I''ve narrowed it down to these two diamonds:

WF ACA

or

GOG suggested by Lorelei and brooklyngirl

Which one is a better choice? The WF ACA has light performance rating of 0. Is that significantly better than a 1 or 2? I looked at the the IS and ASET of both, but being that I don''t really know what to look for, they seem pretty much the same to me. Am I splitting hair over here, and they are essentially the same?
33.gif

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Both look gorgeous!! Honestly, I think both are very similar diamonds - c/p angles, top cut, etc. Both are top-notch, trusted vendors here. And the price difference is negligible. So I would just look at the settings available at GOG and WF -- assuming you are having them set the diamond too -- and go with the one that has the setting that most appeals to you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:27:15 AM
I''ve narrowed it down to these two diamonds:

WF ACA

or

GOG suggested by Lorelei and brooklyngirl

Which one is a better choice? The WF ACA has light performance rating of 0. Is that significantly better than a 1 or 2? I looked at the the IS and ASET of both, but being that I don''t really know what to look for, they seem pretty much the same to me. Am I splitting hair over here, and they are essentially the same?
33.gif
They are both excellent diamonds! AGS 0 rating is considered the most desirable of the AGS grades, however 1 or 2 can be good choices in some cases, it depends. I suppose it depends on what matters the most to you, both have upgrade policies. One has the coveted AGS 0 cut grade compared to GIA Excellent, the WF diamond is a branded h&a if you like the idea of the pedigree.

I don''t think you can go wrong with either! Which vendor has the setting you like best?

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Oh and remember to RESERVE the diamonds you''re considering!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I think if you go for and H/I/J coloring and an eye clean SI1 or SI2 (which I have) you will be able to still get more bang for your buck

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:38:07 AM
Author: SYC
Oh and remember to RESERVE the diamonds you''re considering!
Good point, to prevent lurker poaching!

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:46:39 PM
Author: atroop711
I think if you go for and H/I/J coloring and an eye clean SI1 or SI2 (which I have) you will be able to still get more bang for your buck

I''ve tried widening my search to include J as well as SI1 and SI2. While I was able to find some 1 carats in my price range, I can''t really tell if the cuts are as good as the two I''m looking at.

While my ego would prefer to get the biggest rock possible for my gf, logic says it''s better to go with a quality stone. Maybe I''ll try again to see if I can find a eye-clean SI1/SI2, J color stone with more weight while maintaining the ideal cut.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:16:41 PM

Date: 3/6/2009 12:46:39 PM
Author: atroop711

I've tried widening my search to include J as well as SI1 and SI2. While I was able to find some 1 carats in my price range, I can't really tell if the cuts are as good as the two I'm looking at.

While my ego would prefer to get the biggest rock possible for my gf, logic says it's better to go with a quality stone. Maybe I'll try again to see if I can find a eye-clean SI1/SI2, J color stone with more weight while maintaining the ideal cut.
This J VS2 was suggested previously!
30.gif

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
SYC & Lorelei, thank you! Actually, I''ve already ordered the ring somewhere else. It''s backwards, I know. Proposal plan -> setting/ring -> diamond. Was it a bad idea to get the setting separate from the stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:29:38 PM
Date: 3/6/2009 1:23:00 PM

Author: ImpatientOne

This J VS2 was suggested previously!
30.gif

You''re right! I don''t know how I missed that one. I was going to flip a coin on the first two, but now I can''t do that with 3 choices...
I vote for this one too. It''s beautiful! Make sure you find out who will be insuring your stone while it is being set. The beauty of ordering a stone and setting from the same place is that they cover the insurance should anything happen to the stone during setting.

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would call in and ask what Jon thinks of the J stone. Depending on how color sensitive you are, it may show some warmth. If you're seriously considering it, either verify it with GOG or have them send it to you for inspection before setting it.

*Edited for spelling.

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 2:19:47 PM
Author: swingirl
I vote for this one too. It''s beautiful! Make sure you find out who will be insuring your stone while it is being set. The beauty of ordering a stone and setting from the same place is that they cover the insurance should anything happen to the stone during setting.

Hmm, didn''t even know that it needs to be insured while it''s being set. Might have to just get the setting from the same place where I buy the diamond now...

Learn something new every day. Thanks!

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 2:32:27 PM
Author: brooklyngirl
I would call in and ask what Jon thinks of the J stone. Depending on how color sensitive you are, it may show some warmth. If you''re seriously considering it, either verify it with GOG or have them send it to you for inspection before setting it.

*Edited for spelling.

Thanks for the advice! I''ll give them a call to find out. Plus now that I''m considering just having the same place do the setting, I need to call and find out what settings they have. No pictures on their website for settings.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 2:32:27 PM
Author: brooklyngirl
I would call in and ask what Jon thinks of the J stone. Depending on how color sensitive you are, it may show some warmth. If you''re seriously considering it, either verify it with GOG or have them send it to you for inspection before setting it.

*Edited for spelling.
I Have a J stone and it is white as white can be though my yellow setting might give it some warmth but thats just with camera.. IMO and my stone is 1 carat.. SI1 and I can''t see a darn thing,, even with my loop... it was only a few hundred more than your max amount.. remember, you also get a pricescope discount.... I thought J might have been a mistake on my end,, but sure enough I''d do it all over again in a heartbeat! i might even try K next time,, lucky WF does upgrades... so even if later down the road you don''t like the color.. there''s always upgrade
36.gif
yeah for upgrades....

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
I understand that there are many people who don''t see any color in a J stone, but I also know that there are a lot of people who do. Also, if the OP is planning to set the stone in white metal, the color will be more visible.

I own a pair of 0.8 cttw J ACA studs set in plat, and I can see their color in certain lighting when they are not on my ears. I think it''s important for the OP to know exactly what he''s getting, and that he isn''t unpleasantly surprised by the color. The more the consumer knows about what they''re getting the better, IMHO.

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s comments/suggestions. After a lot of back and forth in my mind (and I won''t lie, there was a quarter that spent quite a bit of time in the air) over the weekend, I''ve decided to go with the WF ACA on this setting. Hope this will work out.

I had originally had my mind set on a 4-prong setting, but decided to go with a 6-prong instead (seems more secured). Does the number of prongs make a difference in terms of the sparkle of the diamond? My gf mentioned something about more prongs getting to/from the diamond (OMG!
23.gif
Is she on to me?). Is this true? Will the 4-prong setting be better?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 1:50:50 PM
Thanks for everyone''s comments/suggestions. After a lot of back and forth in my mind (and I won''t lie, there was a quarter that spent quite a bit of time in the air) over the weekend, I''ve decided to go with the WF ACA on this setting. Hope this will work out.

I had originally had my mind set on a 4-prong setting, but decided to go with a 6-prong instead (seems more secured). Does the number of prongs make a difference in terms of the sparkle of the diamond? My gf mentioned something about more prongs getting to/from the diamond (OMG!
23.gif
Is she on to me?). Is this true? Will the 4-prong setting be better?
No, it is a case of personal preference. 6 prongs can make the diamond look rounder and some feel it is more secure in 6 prongs, others prefer 4 as they feel they can see more of the diamond.

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response Lorelei. I''ll be sure to post some pictures on here when I get the ring in my hands (or on her hand).

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats -- it''s going to be gorgeous! If your girlfriend likes less prongs, then definitely go with the 4 prong. I can see what she means, she probably wants to see more of the pavilion, and 6 prong settings obstruct that view.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You picked out a great stone! I can''t wait to see the finished ring! Six or four prongs won''t make a difference with sparkle and this stone is a dazzler, I''d just go with your gut as to which she would like better.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
It''s so great to see another couple get a stunning engagement ring. That ring will be an absolute beauty and your girlfriend will love it. Congrats! Can''t wait for you to come back with pics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results