shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on this paraiba?

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
I posted another thread about an inherited stone I thought was apatite, and several people guided me toward having a gemologist determine if it may be tourmaline. It is currently out for evaluation with a gemologist. I did place it next to a tiny paraiba I just received from DesertRose while on the way to drop it off for inspection, and the color and glow are pretty similar. I fully believe in creating my own luck and realized that I just would love to have a stone in that color, so I’m on the hunt for a cuprian tourmaline.

So far, I have one promising option - but I’m completely unfamiliar with budgets and treatments that are acceptable for paraiba. It feels like the rule is “whatever you can afford!”

Here is that stone I’d like the opinion on:

Originally, I wanted to stay in an overall budget of 10k (including setting), so this stone would be around the top of my budget and I would have to wait to set it.

Mostly, I’m trying to nail a similar color to what was given to me by family. Size and shape don’t really matter. I’m following DesertRose, scrolled through Paraiba International and browsed Yvonne’s Etsy, and I think those were the only two leads I know about for glowy tourmaline. If anyone sees another option, please let me know. It can be 0.3cts shaped like an octopus, or a 3ct Portuguese cut, as long as it has glowy color and is blue-leaning. Bonus points for bringing the price down so that I can set it, immediately. Here are my reference photos from my mystery stone, this is NOT the paraiba I am asking opinions on! I don’t know what this stone is yet.

. FE7F6376-86BF-4758-BE64-1E77FAC9676D.jpeg F9383381-9AEF-412C-A6EC-2EBCF750C226.jpeg 3D5222FD-43F9-4EC0-B961-99CA971849A9.jpeg 6B286163-97B3-436B-B05C-AFB501EA5660.jpeg 8B924A73-4371-4D6A-B538-C9A1AB84266A.jpeg 5E0737B8-FB2E-4417-B6D5-2A3C7F37CA20.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one from star Lanka just looks like blue tourmaline to me. It is dark and IMHO wont glow in the way you want. I would stick to yvonne and desert rose because they are known for having good prices on legit stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one from star Lanka just looks like blue tourmaline to me. It is dark and IMHO wont glow in the way you want. I would stick to yvonne and desert rose because they are known for having good prices on legit stones.

Exactly, it looks like a nice indicolite, not a glowy paraiba. I have a three carat tourmaline that looks exactly like that. It has a copper bearing lab memo, but I never call it a “paraiba.” It just doesn’t have that electric glow.

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
The video looked promising, but I have a terrible eye. Thanks, the search continues!

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock

I found this as well, but I think it looks under saturated rather than glowy.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found this as well, but I think it looks under saturated rather than glowy.

This will be 1000000x better than the one from Star Lanka that you posted. I would ask for pics on the vendor's hand and in natural light

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Some lights are not the most conducive to glow. I'd ask Starlanka for a video in sunlight. Then you will know for sure. LED too. Before tossing it out as a option.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is interesting to note that a fine paraiba should glow in any lighting.

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
I’ve reached out to Star Lanka, and right now they have no other inventory. I did request videos in different lighting. But, I think TL is right about glow. My mystery stone (likely apatite) is very bright in full shade, and although I like the color saturation, I’d like glow.

The only other option I seem to have found is this, although it appears this seller recently sold an oval to a customer that has beautiful hand shots in their most recent reviews.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve reached out to Star Lanka, and right now they have no other inventory. I did request videos in different lighting. But, I think TL is right about glow. My mystery stone (likely apatite) is very bright in full shade, and although I like the color saturation, I’d like glow.

The only other option I seem to have found is this, although it appears this seller recently sold an oval to a customer that has beautiful hand shots in their most recent reviews.

That seller has lots of inventory but is more expensive than Yvonne Raley. I would reach out to Yvonne and see if she is getting any other paraibas in the near future (same with Desert Rose)

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The HiddenTreasure one doesn't look that great in the video, although it looks great against the various backgrounds. Desert_Rose gets some beauties, so check with her. I have a few from her, and this coming once I pay it off. :roll2:

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 2.08.07 PM.png

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It is interesting to note that a fine paraiba should glow in any lighting.

One could say that about fine Opal too, but I've seen Opal in lights that destroyed it. No stone looks good in every light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One could say that about fine Opal too, but I've seen Opal in lights that destroyed it. No stone looks good in every light.

Agree to disagree. I’ve seen stones that look great in all lighting.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Agree to disagree. I’ve seen stones that look great in all lighting.

Well, I believe you. I also believe that you've not seen stones in every lighting. I don't think anyone has. I stand by what I said earlier. =)2 An addendum - Paraiba will not glow as good in some lights as compared to others, as every light source different from the next will either be warm, moderate, or cool. The color wave lengths will be shorter or longer and the stone in return will react to that accordingly, even Paraiba.

Last edited:

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
EB2C1FBC-557C-44EB-8101-A73F2333386A.jpeg

The center stone from this photo is available from another vendor. I don’t have certificate details yet, but the asking is 5k for 0.7cts. I’m not sure if either of the other two stones are available, but it seems like the prices would mirror Star Lanka. It isn’t in hand yet, so I have to wait for additional photos. Star Lanka also agreed to send photos of the 2.8ct stone but appear to have forgotten about it or gotten busy today and was unable.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EB2C1FBC-557C-44EB-8101-A73F2333386A.jpeg

The center stone from this photo is available from another vendor. I don’t have certificate details yet, but the asking is 5k for 0.7cts. I’m not sure if either of the other two stones are available, but it seems like the prices would mirror Star Lanka. It isn’t in hand yet, so I have to wait for additional photos. Star Lanka also agreed to send photos of the 2.8ct stone but appear to have forgotten about it or gotten busy today and was unable.

I think the price is too much for sub carat and highly included stones. These are most likely clarity enhanced as well.

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
A9C93E53-EC87-4450-8F57-E1E351EB5B55.jpeg E87BF4A4-8FD0-46BB-8060-EAAB2506B876.jpeg

These were the updated photos from Star Lanka of the 2.85ct stone. They were taken in natural window light on what looks like a cloudy day. Like TL said, I just don’t see glow here. Or, at least not 9.5k worth of glow. Jeff White sent out his newsletter with some pretty Afghani tourmaline rough and to my eye, this is very similar to the blue rough he has. I’m underwhelmed for this price point and would prefer precision cutting working with Jeff at this color. I have not message Tandi or Yvonne yet, but the color of @MrsKMB’s pear is obviously very attractive! I think her glowy tourmalines are trickling in and getting harder to find.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A9C93E53-EC87-4450-8F57-E1E351EB5B55.jpeg E87BF4A4-8FD0-46BB-8060-EAAB2506B876.jpeg

These were the updated photos from Star Lanka of the 2.85ct stone. They were taken in natural window light on what looks like a cloudy day. Like TL said, I just don’t see glow here. Or, at least not 9.5k worth of glow. Jeff White sent out his newsletter with some pretty Afghani tourmaline rough and to my eye, this is very similar to the blue rough he has. I’m underwhelmed for this price point and would prefer precision cutting working with Jeff at this color. I have not message Tandi or Yvonne yet, but the color of @MrsKMB’s pear is obviously very attractive! I think her glowy tourmalines are trickling in and getting harder to find.

Yeah, I definitely dont think that one is worth the asking price.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I believe you. I also believe that you've not seen stones in every lighting. I don't think anyone has, I stand by what I said earlier. =)2

Yes, and that is the reason why I said you should see natural light pictures, though it looks much better than the video on the website by far. Camera/lighting work is essential to capture the glow of any Paraiba no matter how glowy or non-glowy it is.

Paraiba is not cheap and to really get the color you want would be thousands of dollars a carat more at this size, non-clarity enhanced that is fairly clean.

You are better off getting a nice Afghani stone at the fraction of the price, but I would look to the Pakistan dealers for that. Their cutting is very good, even precision, and the price will be much cheaper than having a stone commissioned. Unless you have your heart set on Paraiba, which most stones are way overrated and overpriced, but the market will bare that and the vendors will demand what the market will bare.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get glowy paraiba for a lower price, but they will be full of inclusions and probably clarity enhanced and/or sub carat in size . Beautiful glowy clean stones above a carat are the most expensive, as they should be. Honestly, do not buy any gem that is expensive just because it has copper in it. I see many vendors selling non glowy paraibas with copper bearing lab reports, and just because it’s a cuprian, does not make it a paraiba. This gem has a copper bearing GIT lab report, for example. I love this gem, but to me, it just a pretty indicolite.
6868A55E-B7D2-4D64-A245-12B34271E5EF.jpeg

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
@SailingGem I agree with the rest this paraiba from starlanka isn’t too nice based on the photos. It definitely doesn’t have the same glow as mine although it looks darker. I got mine at a lower price point and the clarity is better without clarity enhancement. I suggest you ask them for recommendations rather than browse the website. Suhail was able to recommend me something better than all the ones I looked at myself. Photos don’t always do the gem justice. Hehe.
By the way, my ring plus setting is around your budget. So it’s possible to find something similar to mine. Mayb you can send the of my ring photo to suhail and ask for a stone similar to that?

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
@SailingGem I agree with the rest this paraiba from starlanka isn’t too nice based on the photos. It definitely doesn’t have the same glow as mine although it looks darker. I got mine at a lower price point and the clarity is better without clarity enhancement. I suggest you ask them for recommendations rather than browse the website. Suhail was able to recommend me something better than all the ones I looked at myself. Photos don’t always do the gem justice. Hehe.
By the way, my ring plus setting is around your budget. So it’s possible to find something similar to mine. Mayb you can send the of my ring photo to suhail and ask for a stone similar to that?

Thank you for the feedback, that’s really helpful! I didn’t reach out ot Suhail specifically, but I did reach out to the company over Instagram and asked if they had other available stock at the time and they indicated only what was on the website. I passed on the one listed because it was a bit dark and was clarity treated unlike yours, which was at a lower price point with a better glow. Your stone is gorgeous and I’m hoping to find something similar. I’m in the wait, search and hope holding phase right now because I haven’t really found anything.

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the feedback, that’s really helpful! I didn’t reach out ot Suhail specifically, but I did reach out to the company over Instagram and asked if they had other available stock at the time and they indicated only what was on the website. I passed on the one listed because it was a bit dark and was clarity treated unlike yours, which was at a lower price point with a better glow. Your stone is gorgeous and I’m hoping to find something similar. I’m in the wait, search and hope holding phase right now because I haven’t really found anything.

Yeah take your time! I do see them keep adding new ones. :) looking forward to see you share ur baby :razz:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think your mystery gem is not necessarily apatite. It could be zircon, too.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my glowing Mozambique Paraiba, it’s truly mesmerizing!
It even glows upside down.

E206A1F7-A57D-4E33-899F-1E24B6B00918.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B903EAD-50D1-4F02-8548-5280DDFCEA90.jpeg
    9B903EAD-50D1-4F02-8548-5280DDFCEA90.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1C1E8D1C-3525-4B98-A66E-AD082882783C.jpeg
    1C1E8D1C-3525-4B98-A66E-AD082882783C.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 16

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
Here’s my glowing Mozambique Paraiba, it’s truly mesmerizing!
It even glows upside down.

E206A1F7-A57D-4E33-899F-1E24B6B00918.jpeg
This is to die for. Do you have a thread that describes vendor/source? Once someone revives me from my deceased state. Holy glow, ugh, I’m in love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results