shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you reading 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I had seen the 2007 and 2006 versions of this when searching for reading ideas. I thought it''d be nice to see what everyone is reading!
I''ll start with my shorter term list. I have a very extensive overall list.
Right now I am finishing Terry Goodkind''s Series with Confessor. Following will be:
The holy Bible
Marley and Me
The other Boleyn Girl
Watership Down (again)
The Boleyn Inheritance
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Smart Couples Finish Rich
Hot, Flat and Crowded
Lord of the Flies
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
The Total Money Makeover
How We Die

I''ll add more if others are interested

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a bunch of Barbara Kingsolver books I''m plowing through. . .Right now, "Homeland." It''s a book of short stories. I''ve already read most of her books and am now rounding out by reading the remaining ones.

Before picking that book up, I read Margaret Atwood''s "Cat''s Eye," Which was so-so. It''s one of those books that alternates between two different times and I always find those types of books *or* movies to be lacking in some capacity. It''s as if the writer had two particial story ideas that wouldn''t keep a reader''s attention on either of their own, so the stories are blended together to create a longer interwoven tale.

Oh, and before Atwood, I read Amy Tan''s "The Joy Luck Club." It''s been many years since I watched the movie, so the book seemed like it''d be fun to read. It was TOTALLY confusing. I kept getting the characters mixed up because she rotated through AT LEAST 7 different gals, from different time periodes, etc. After reading, I checked Amazon and it seems others were confused by the characters, as well.

Also, in my stack next to Kingsolver is Maria Doria Russell''s "Dreamers of the Day." She wrote one of my favorite books, "The Sparrow," and I''m hoping Dreamers will be just as good.

And, I also have some long, many-paged report to read for my impending job. . .

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
It''s so funny, I read so many but only the good ones stick out. I think I''ve read about 15-20 so far this year, but the one that stands out (other than re-reading Jane Austen of course) is the one I''m reading now and really enjoying: its called "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" and its absolutely delightful - if you like British lit, this is definitely something you must check out
1.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I have a stack of books that I was either given as gifts, bought for myself, or borrowed from others:

A Strange and Nervous Laughter - Bridget McNaulty
Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - Toby Young
Slumdog Millionaire - Vikas Swarup

We''re barely 2 months into 2009...how do some of you read so fast!?!?!?!? And have enough time to chat on PS?!?!!?
23.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, i am embarassed to admit this...i have basically had NO free time for reading lately, but my sister brought me the Twilight series and um.....i read two and a half of them! they are addicting
emembarrassed.gif
emteeth.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 2:00:02 PM
Author: violet3
Oh gosh, i am embarassed to admit this...i have basically had NO free time for reading lately, but my sister brought me the Twilight series and um.....i read two and a half of them! they are addicting
emembarrassed.gif
emteeth.gif
Ha ha...don''t be embarrassed Violet! One of my girl friends from Chicago sent me home with the first two Twilight books and I grudgingly opened the first one after running out of other books to read...and I actually enjoyed it so much I read them both in three days! I probably won''t buy any of the series and won''t rent the movie, but my friend wouldn''t have to twist my arm to get me to borrow any more that she buys. Hee hee.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:51:32 AM
Author: MC
I have a bunch of Barbara Kingsolver books I''m plowing through. . .Right now, ''Homeland.'' It''s a book of short stories. I''ve already read most of her books and am now rounding out by reading the remaining ones.

Before picking that book up, I read Margaret Atwood''s ''Cat''s Eye,'' Which was so-so. It''s one of those books that alternates between two different times and I always find those types of books *or* movies to be lacking in some capacity. It''s as if the writer had two particial story ideas that wouldn''t keep a reader''s attention on either of their own, so the stories are blended together to create a longer interwoven tale.

Oh, and before Atwood, I read Amy Tan''s ''The Joy Luck Club.'' It''s been many years since I watched the movie, so the book seemed like it''d be fun to read. It was TOTALLY confusing. I kept getting the characters mixed up because she rotated through AT LEAST 7 different gals, from different time periodes, etc. After reading, I checked Amazon and it seems others were confused by the characters, as well.

Also, in my stack next to Kingsolver is Maria Doria Russell''s ''Dreamers of the Day.'' She wrote one of my favorite books, ''The Sparrow,'' and I''m hoping Dreamers will be just as good.

And, I also have some long, many-paged report to read for my impending job. . .
MC, I haven''t read that one...I have read Saving Fish From Drowning and thought it was fab, though.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 2:10:24 PM
Author: monarch64

emembarrassed.gif
emteeth.gif
Ha ha...don''t be embarrassed Violet! One of my girl friends from Chicago sent me home with the first two Twilight books and I grudgingly opened the first one after running out of other books to read...and I actually enjoyed it so much I read them both in three days! I probably won''t buy any of the series and won''t rent the movie, but my friend wouldn''t have to twist my arm to get me to borrow any more that she buys. Hee hee.
Thankyou Monarch!!! the same thing happened to me - i didn''t want to read the first one, and then i read the whole thing in a couple of days...and then the next one! I really liked them and i think i just might see the movie too!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
At the moment I am finishing The Belgariad by David Eddings. It''s a five book series... I have no idea what I will read next, i''m out of new books!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:12:07 PM
MC, I haven''t read that one...I have read Saving Fish From Drowning and thought it was fab, though.
Cool, I''ll have to check that book out.

The Hundred Secret Senses is a great book if you''re looking for another of her novels. Funny part that always sticks out is one of the character''s relatives works in a Chinese Resturant for an entire month before realizing the food that''s being served is "Chinese." lol I kept thinking of breaded pork covered in sweet-and-sour sauce.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
emembarrassed.gif
emteeth.gif
I actually meant to add this to my list because EVERYBODY I know has read it or is reading it. When friends of mine find out I haven''t read the books yet, they''re like "What!?! You haven''t read them?!?" I have to understand what all the craze is about!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 3:05:51 PM
Author: MC

Date: 2/20/2009 2:12:07 PM
Cool, I''ll have to check that book out.

The Hundred Secret Senses is a great book if you''re looking for another of her novels. Funny part that always sticks out is one of the character''s relatives works in a Chinese Resturant for an entire month before realizing the food that''s being served is ''Chinese.'' lol I kept thinking of breaded pork covered in sweet-and-sour sauce.
I will definitely put that on my list, sounds like a good one.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I am reading The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. Not sure what I will get into next...

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My 16 year-old niece asked me to read the Twilight series and has loaned me all 4 books. I finished 3 of them, but can''t seem to get going on the 4th. After the 3rd Twilight series book, I read a couple of John Grisham books (The Innocent Man and The Appeal), and my mom loaned me several Sue Grafton and James Patterson books. I''ve been sick and home a lot this month so I have had time to read quite a bit, but nothing I read in my own time (outside of work) is scholarly! That''s kind of embarrassing.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I just started the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series so that''ll keep me busy for awhile. I read 50 books last year so I really don''t know the whole list of what I''ll be reading this year. I got my father addicted to reading(he''s retired) so we trade books back and forth. I always keep a list of books and their authors by year, of what I read. It helps me to keep down rebuying books I already own.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am a little ashamed to admit this but my reading choices are totally brainless and fluffy comapred to yours! I tend to gravitate towards "brain candy" as my friend would call them. Something to occupy the mind but of little nutritional value.

I did read Marley and Me before I saw the movie and I loved it. I think I will search for his more recently book as well.

FI gave me One Fifth (Candace Bushnell''s latest book) for Christmas and I tore through it. It was a little more substantial than her previous work. I am eagerly awaiting the release of Dan Brown''s next book too.

I would love to read more Barbara Kingsolver because I loved reading the Bean Trees when I was a teenager.

Thanks for sharing your lists everyone! This will be so helpful when heading to the library.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am currently attempting to read The Host by the same author of the twilight series, just can''t seem to get into it - seriously it is taking me ages to finish this book 4 weeks and still barely half-way through.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results