shape
carat
color
clarity

What are these...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
considering I spent almost nothing on them in a little jewelery and bead store in NYC, I doubt they have any value but appearance, and I was just interested to know how they seem to change in color gradient as you view them from different angles...? Anyone?

I bought a bigger one and two small ones, but the larger on is milky and amethyst in color, and the little ones are amethyst-like to black...any ideas? Are they glass?

amethyst glass bead.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks like a fiberglass (artificial cat's eye material) briolette to me !

If I am right with the ID, than the piece shoudl be a couple of $ and the gradient would be due to the increase in volume of the stone, IMO.

However, given that this does look unusual and all I have is a picture, I would not swear by this. the alternative, however, would be some material unknown to me completely: this 'silky' apperence is not at all common in natural material of any kind I know...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ana, although it seems to be darker where it is large, it actually gets darker as you move it (even at the thin pointed edge). It's unique to say the least, but I'm no expert. Here's a picture of the briolette with a light gradient at the thicker part...​

(Oh it's a picture of the glass beads I twisted up to create a necklace with the broolettes as pendants from it...)​

Amethyst Briolette necklace.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he, nice to know a bead buyer around !

Yes, this is what it does! The material forms both a strong eye and different textures-transparent and opaque-on either side of it (in natural stones this is called "milk and honney" effect).

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, Nic! Which bead store did you find it at? (Another NYCer here.)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! I just stumbled across a bead and gemstone shop in NYC (Phoenix Jewelry or something on W. 37th) as I was driving, I made the BF literally STOP the car, so I could get out and investigate...I have such issues...

Here's the website, and UH OH...looks like I am going to go shopping again!!! http://www.phoenixbeads.com/
9.gif
9.gif
love.gif

I also bought a huge chunck of polished amethyst with a great number of inclusions because it was just so lovely, even though it's as useful as a paperweight. It has this extraordinary sort of 3-D refection of a right angle within it, and if I can take a decent picture (which I doubt I can) I will post it...

Fiberglass huh? Didn't know it was so convincingly like a gemstone!!!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/8/2004 11:23:54 AM Nicrez wrote:

Fiberglass huh? Didn't know it was so convincingly like a gemstone!!!

----------------
There is a lot of it on the market, actually. It can be formed into very nice-looking cat's eyes because the fibers create excellent chatoyancy. Too nice, in fact--the eyes are so sharp and the color so intense that they look fake. Real stones aren't perfect.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LG...I think it's gorgeous, and ironically it's made of the same type of stuff that looks like cotton candy....Mmmmm....fiberglass...What a miraculous material!

So if I was loking for a natural stone that had a similar color to it, what types of stones would I be looking for? This necklace may end up being made for a friend or just as costume jewelry (when I am not swathed in diamonds, of course
2.gif
)...but I would LOVE to find a semi-precious or precious stone with a similar look!!!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/8/2004 4:13:29 PM Nicrez wrote:

So if I was loking for a natural stone that had a similar color to it, what types of stones would I be looking for? This necklace may end up being made for a friend or just as costume jewelry (when I am not swathed in diamonds, of course
2.gif
)...but I would LOVE to find a semi-precious or precious stone with a similar look!!!

----------------
Rose quartz (very cheap) and pink tourmaline (somewhat more expensive) are two I can think of off the top of my head. Rubellite (pink/red tourmaline) can be heavily included, and the poorer-quality stuff is often sold as carving material. I think I've seen similar things at various gem shows.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/8/2004 4:13:29 PM Nicrez wrote:

I would LOVE to find a semi-precious or precious stone with a similar look!!!
----------------

Nicrez, you are in trouble !
2.gif

There is virtually no cats' eye material with such strong chatoyancy...Pink cats eye could be tourmaline, beryl... maybe other less common materials too.

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
WOW! What a great necklace?
love.gif
Are you a designer? Do you have a website?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
LOL Holly, no NOT a designer, no website, but I adore jewlery and now I am obsessed!!

There ARE some great designers around Price Scope, and I am sure if you are looking for some great things to see and buy, they will surface, when you talk to them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results