shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I seeing in this 14k gold clasp?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I just got a beautiful brand new necklace stamped 14k gold, and verified by the seller as solid 14k, not plated or filled. It was made to order and cast specifically for me, so it’s brand new from the bench. However when I turned the clasp over and looked at the backside, I see a area where the gold color seems to stop at a jagged line, and then the surface is black in color and has a much rougher surface?

I am not sure what I’m looking at. Picture attached with the area in question circled in blue.

Thanks!

141B71F4-5744-4EAA-8147-C124D756C5B8.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just got a beautiful brand new necklace stamped 14k gold, and verified by the seller as solid 14k, not plated or filled. It was made to order and cast specifically for me, so it’s brand new from the bench. However when I turned the clasp over and looked at the backside, I see a area where the gold color seems to stop at a jagged line, and then the surface is black in color and has a much rougher surface?

I am not sure what I’m looking at. Picture attached with the area in question circled in blue.

Thanks!

141B71F4-5744-4EAA-8147-C124D756C5B8.jpeg

Whats on the other side? - It may be staining from a rhodium plating process?
It will possibly rub off with a silver polishing cloth.
Worst case it is mercury staining.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Whats on the other side? - It may be staining from a rhodium plating process?
It will possibly rub off with a silver polishing cloth.
Worst case it is mercury staining.
Hi!

Here is the front of the clasp.
F3864457-0D73-4A43-BA8D-FA8B2F656F8F.jpeg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Something has attacked it.
Have you broken any mercury thermometers?
if yes - tell me asap - its toxic
Otherwise iIt will be easy to polish off - get a silver polish cloth from supermarket

I just got in via FedEx today, I opened it and it was like that straight from the package :(

I wonder how I would get a silver polishing cloth in that tiny crevice.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Crevice? You mean inside - not the flat outside surface that appears black or dark?
I would live with it - after wear it will get gunk inside anyway. If you dont like it quirt some liquid paper inside

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Right, the hole in the back of the clasp, it’s so small I wonder how I would get anything in there to clean it. I can just live with it, I wasn’t sure if this was common with 14k

Thanks Garry!
Crevice? You mean inside - not the flat outside surface that appears black or dark?
I would live with it - after wear it will get gunk inside anyway. If you dont like it quirt some liquid paper inside

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When 18k and lower gold is heated to solder it goes black.
The Black an be removed in a pickle which is mild acid.
But the string and pearls will not like that.
You can get liquid paper pens. They have a needle and you could squirt some white inside

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results