shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s your favorite alternative to high heels?

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I went out for dinner last night for the first time in a long time! Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to wearing heels anymore but they felt horrible. The shoes themselves are pretty comfortable but I just don’t feel confident in heels. I love them on other women. I just feel most confident in a stable more practical shoe. I know…I know…
I have kitten heels, boots and booties that have heels and I don’t have any issues with those. I just need to find an alternative to high heels. Where do I look for non-heels that are elegant and still appropriate for a more formal event?
Can flats be formal??

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have some really cute glittery shoes that are probably correctly called "flip flops." I wear them for dress up whenever I think I can get by with it because a lot of shoes now hurt my feet and toenails. And I carry footie socks in my purse and put them on under the table in restaurants and stuff because mah dogs also get cold. I've lost tolerance for putting up with foot misery so I don't care! :p

Last edited:

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
something about a pointy toe makes a shoe look more formal to me.
slingbacks, ankle-straps, or d'orsays can look formal without a heel imho

Ooh. A d’orsay flat may be just the thing! Thanks!

My favorite high heel alternative is higher heels. I think my achilles have permanently shortened or something, because I can’t stand to wear ballet flats for more than a couple hours.

The bad news for me, and the great news for you, is that platform Louboutins and sky high Jimmy Choos are no longer the rage. It’s all about kitten heels, slides, and ugly-chic block heels in funky shapes! @bludiva is right on the money with her suggestions for a dressier flat. In addition to silhouette, look out for richer (fussier) materials. Satin, velvet, patent leather, embellishments, etc. will dress a shoe right up. No clue what your personal style is, but I’ll offer some specific examples…

For a classic cocktail or black tie look: Manolo Blanik Hangisi

Ballet flats - https://www.manoloblahnik.com/us/hangisiflat-13494.html

Mules - https://www.net-a-porter.com/en-us/...-embellished-satin-slippers/13452677152593922

The ones I linked are in satin, but they also come in velvet, glitter fabric, lace, etc. and in basically every color of the rainbow. There’s a few kitten heel styles, too: mules, pumps and slingbacks.

For less formal occasions like date night, and all the way up to festive cocktail attire: basically any flat Aquazzura has ever put out. Here’s a few…

Miu Miu also makes a lot of comfortable and blingy flat/low heel styles.

After a quick browse, here’s a few more zippy options (various designers) that I think could fit the bill:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taos tennis shoes. I‘m 100% serious

and Kate spade glitter keds

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
My favorite high heel alternative is higher heels. I think my achilles have permanently shortened or something, because I can’t stand to wear ballet flats for more than a couple hours.

The bad news for me, and the great news for you, is that platform Louboutins and sky high Jimmy Choos are no longer the rage. It’s all about kitten heels, slides, and ugly-chic block heels in funky shapes! @bludiva is right on the money with her suggestions for a dressier flat. In addition to silhouette, look out for richer (fussier) materials. Satin, velvet, patent leather, embellishments, etc. will dress a shoe right up. No clue what your personal style is, but I’ll offer some specific examples…

For a classic cocktail or black tie look: Manolo Blanik Hangisi

Ballet flats - https://www.manoloblahnik.com/us/hangisiflat-13494.html

Mules - https://www.net-a-porter.com/en-us/...-embellished-satin-slippers/13452677152593922

The ones I linked are in satin, but they also come in velvet, glitter fabric, lace, etc. and in basically every color of the rainbow. There’s a few kitten heel styles, too: mules, pumps and slingbacks.

For less formal occasions like date night, and all the way up to festive cocktail attire: basically any flat Aquazzura has ever put out. Here’s a few…

Miu Miu also makes a lot of comfortable and blingy flat/low heel styles.

After a quick browse, here’s a few more zippy options (various designers) that I think could fit the bill:

Thanks so much. I’ll definitely look around and keep “richer” fabrics and details in mind. Great tip. I appreciate it.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about some kind of wedge heel? Easier in summer than winter I suppose as wedge sandals are easy to find. I like the added height (I’m short) and I’ve yet to wear an uncomfy wedge shoe/boot/sandal.

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I do love a wedge but I don’t seem to wear them in winter. Summer for sure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear high heels. When I was young I used to wear the wedges from the 1970s but that was for a brief time as I am a klutz best suited to flats or low heels.

My go to in the mid to late autumn, winter and early spring is and always will be my OTK (flat or low heel) boots.
I have dozens of pairs in many different colors and textures that can go dressy or casual and fit in with any occasion.

In summer my go to for dressy are ballet flats.

But most of the time I am wearing cycling shoes. :)

Comfort is Queen in my book and nothing less will do.

I love boots and ballet flats. With one exception. Wearing them together I don't care for ;(

bootandballetshoe.png

:lol:

Two of my favorites are my OTK blue suede and my thigh high black suede.

bluesuede5050.png

blacksuedelowlands.png

Since I have way too many pairs I have happily not been tempted to buy any for a long time. I don't anticipate needing any new shoes at all forever if you want to know the truth. I don't care about what is in "style" I just care about what I like to wear and what is comfortable so that makes it pretty easy.

I got married in ballet flats. But if I were to do it all again today these are the boots I would wear now.

swshortwhiteboots.png

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I have some really cute glittery shoes that are probably correctly called "flip flops." I wear them for dress up whenever I think I can get by with it because a lot of shoes now hurt my feet and toenails. And I carry footie socks in my purse and put them on under the table in restaurants and stuff because mah dogs also get cold. I've lost tolerance for putting up with foot misery so I don't care! :p

I just ordered a pair of glitter flip flops today to wear with my dresses. I think we're on the same wavelength lately. =)2

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Smoking loafers (Nisolo. Other brands make good ones too but the names are escaping me at the moment), penny loafers in a nice full grain leather that ages well, Gucci horsebit loafers, Rag & Bone booties (Harrow)

Oxfords are stylish but only if they're streamlined and feminine. Anniel used to make really cute ones a while back and they were the quintessential off-duty model look. Mansur Gavriel and Margaux make nice ballet flats as do Tieks but those are sportier.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like to wear high heels or heels that are long and thin like stilettos, as I am a chunky plus size only 5'2"/157cm tall and shrinking.

The only pair of stilettos that I own have not been seen or walked on proper roads. :Up_to_something:

I prefer chunkier heels, and have worn my ballroom dancing shoes with 2in Cuban heels as evening shoes in the past. Sadly, they have been discontinued and I cannot get a replacement pair.

However, I recently found some shoes with chunky 2in heels that I like. They have wider fittings that are more suited to my feet. I bought one pair to try first, and when I discovered they fit nicely, I went back and bought another 2 pairs.

This is how I operate with clothes and shoes - once I find something that fits and like, I would buy multiples of them.

DK :))

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I don't wear high heels. When I was young I used to wear the wedges from the 1970s but that was for a brief time as I am a klutz best suited to flats or low heels.

My go to in the mid to late autumn, winter and early spring is and always will be my OTK (flat or low heel) boots.
I have dozens of pairs in many different colors and textures that can go dressy or casual and fit in with any occasion.

In summer my go to for dressy are ballet flats.

But most of the time I am wearing cycling shoes. :)

Comfort is Queen in my book and nothing less will do.

I love boots and ballet flats. With one exception. Wearing them together I don't care for ;(

bootandballetshoe.png

:lol:

Two of my favorites are my OTK blue suede and my thigh high black suede.

bluesuede5050.png

blacksuedelowlands.png

Since I have way too many pairs I have happily not been tempted to buy any for a long time. I don't anticipate needing any new shoes at all forever if you want to know the truth. I don't care about what is in "style" I just care about what I like to wear and what is comfortable so that makes it pretty easy.

I got married in ballet flats. But if I were to do it all again today these are the boots I would wear now.

swshortwhiteboots.png

I keep thinking about these awesome white boots. I had to come back to this thread and look at them again because they are so cool. :D

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was overjoyed when chunky block heels came into fashion! I find them way more comfortable than most stilettos.

I love Sarah Flint for dressy low heels or flats and they are a decent price point if you aren't looking for designer. I don't like straight ballet flats that have no heel whatsoever - I find even 1/4 inch is waaay more comfortable. I think a little embellishment goes a long way for a formal look.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.00.58 PM.png

I also think a really chic pair of boots, oxfords, or even loafers can be dressy, but they aren't suitable for evening gowns or anything like that.

I also tend to dress more "metro" for a woman and love wingtips, so it depends on your personal style.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.59.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.06.05 PM.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
And for a classic, low heel Chelsea you will not find a better brand than R.M. Williams. I am a die-hard boot girl and the quality of these shoes far outshines any other women's boots – usually, men get all of the highest quality for boots!

Last edited:

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
Such great finds! Thank you everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results