shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s your current thing…other than jewelry?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Birthday @mrs-b!! Back injuries are so hard. I’m sorry you’re going through this. I am wishing you healing and peace. I hope whichever treatment you choose goes smoothly.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Mostly just surviving, but I also really want to teach my daughter simple things. We are trying to do something every day, as I have noticed our lives are disappearing without anything really resolving/changing/improving on a day-to-day basis. We have started working more hours since the pandemic started, and it is not a good change in our lives. We are much more sluggish, overwhelmed and too tired to do anything after work as a result. I've noticed the person who is suffering under this the most is our daughter who is trying super hard to engage us. So I'm trying to work through some of the ideas here

https://www.kiwico.com/diy/lists/30-screen-free-steam-diys-for-kids

Some days we manage, some we dont do so well. I'm trying to make a plan to manage at least something every day. Otherwise I am supposed to be preparing for a new baby, but do not have the time to do it (I'm sure this will be an oversight in a couple of months time :lol-2:).

This is where I’m at too. I can’t tell you how much this post resonated with me. Thanks for the link! Hang in there, we’ll get through this and it sounds like you’re doing everything you can.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Christmas shopping. I decided I wanted to have the Christmas season this year totally disconnected from shopping. So I'm doing it super early and am having a great time! I'm filling Christmas stockings for people, and they're really personalized and a bunch of fun.

I'm also trying to finish my jewelry collection. I know that sounds like jewelry, and you asked for things other than that - but finishing a set collection is a very specific thing and is taking a lot of active designing and finagling in general. It's very goal specific, and I'm pushing hard to get it done.

Lastly - right now - my back is taking most of my focus. My back is often pretty crap, and I've just recently re-blown at least one disc and am living my life around trying to find a comfortable way to sit, stand and walk. I normally exercise a lot, but can't at the moment, and it's sending me crazy! I see a surgeon on Tuesday and am anticipating back surgery (which I've had before but which is significantly more complicated now).

And today is my birthday. And I have a house full of the people I love most in the world.

So it's a mixed bag for me right now.

Happy birthday! I always try to get our Christmas shopping organized and gifts wrapped before December. I’m not always successful, but I find the years that I am are more peaceful and enjoyable for me.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy Birthday, @mrs-b! Sending healing thoughts to that back of yours.

For me:

Music: both my profession and my main hobby. I've actually been in a funk around it for the last couple years, as even before COVID, the number of places to play for instrumentalists like me has been dwindling rapidly. There are essentially no places to play classical chamber music anymore, which is my first love as a performer. Almost all my jobs for quite a few years now have been musical theater pit orchestras - a specialized skill as it requires proficiency on multiple different woodwind instruments - which has been my second favorite playing setting, but that has now dwindled down to almost nothing as productions go to using all keyboards or canned music instead of live, while the number of people being cranked out of universities with music degrees who also want those jobs is ever-increasing. (It seems universities are quite happy to take gobs of tuition money to give lots of people degrees in fields they can't possibly find work in - and even recruit high-school-age kids who don't know better into those programs.) A huge part of the place that music has played in my life has not just been as an outlet for doing something that I absolutely love personally, but as a way that I have felt that I could contribute to society. That no longer applies when no one wants to hear the music you play. As a result, I've been quite depressed about it, and after I put my oboe and English horn away after the last performance in the last show I did in March 2020, since the rest of them were all cancelled, I could count on one hand the number of times I played them or one of my other instruments since until the last month or so. It just seemed too pointless. It appears now, though, I've managed to wrap my head around the idea of continuing to play for my own enjoyment and well-being, and find ways to "create" entire musical works, so I've resumed playing. I'll just have to find alternate outlets for contributing to society - still trying to figure that out. I also decided to add flute to my "arsenal" (oboe, English horn, and the clarinet and sax families), which is proving quite challenging, and I'm going to revisit piano, which I dabbled a little with in high school and college.

Animals, especially dogs. And when COVID is less of a concern, I'm going to find somewhere to be around and get to snuggle horses - with whom I have zero experience. Should be interesting.

Gardening and (slowly) designing our landscape, which I'm fairly new at. Learning a lot there!

Exercise, especially running and walking and (lighter) hiking.

Longevity and extension of "health-span," the science around which I've been interested in for a long time, and which I've tried (with only very limited success) to apply to how I live and eat.

Spending time in nature in general. I need fresh air, sun, wind, green spaces......

Performance and learning psychology. I'm fascinated by learning how to learn and develop skills better and apply that to my life, especially around playing my instruments, and how to teach that to potential students of various ages and stages. No one taught me how to properly practice or learn how to learn when I was a young musician; I often wonder where my career would have ended up if they had.

Psychology and sociology in general. I honestly don't like people very much in general - I much prefer animals - but I am fascinated by what they do and why they do it.

Reading informational (non-fiction) materials in general. I could easily read stuff all day long.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I really don't have hobbies. But I do cycle/exercise/walk as much as possible. Even when I am at work, I walk "extra" to get my steps in. LOL.

cheers--Sharon

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love art and have been doing painting and drawing since I can’t work in my stained glass shop . They have the Picasso art exhibit in Nashville right now so probably going to check that out soon .

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately I’m really focusing on my health. Tomorrow marks one month on a gluten-free diet and I’ll be starting some walking this week. Neglected myself for too many years but time to get back on the horse.

Erm, what’s the weight limit on the horse? ;-)

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Birthday, @mrs-b! Sending healing thoughts to that back of yours.

For me:

Music: both my profession and my main hobby. I've actually been in a funk around it for the last couple years, as even before COVID, the number of places to play for instrumentalists like me has been dwindling rapidly. There are essentially no places to play classical chamber music anymore, which is my first love as a performer. Almost all my jobs for quite a few years now have been musical theater pit orchestras - a specialized skill as it requires proficiency on multiple different woodwind instruments - which has been my second favorite playing setting, but that has now dwindled down to almost nothing as productions go to using all keyboards or canned music instead of live, while the number of people being cranked out of universities with music degrees who also want those jobs is ever-increasing. (It seems universities are quite happy to take gobs of tuition money to give lots of people degrees in fields they can't possibly find work in - and even recruit high-school-age kids who don't know better into those programs.) A huge part of the place that music has played in my life has not just been as an outlet for doing something that I absolutely love personally, but as a way that I have felt that I could contribute to society. That no longer applies when no one wants to hear the music you play. As a result, I've been quite depressed about it, and after I put my oboe and English horn away after the last performance in the last show I did in March 2020, since the rest of them were all cancelled, I could count on one hand the number of times I played them or one of my other instruments since until the last month or so. It just seemed too pointless. It appears now, though, I've managed to wrap my head around the idea of continuing to play for my own enjoyment and well-being, and find ways to "create" entire musical works, so I've resumed playing. I'll just have to find alternate outlets for contributing to society - still trying to figure that out. I also decided to add flute to my "arsenal" (oboe, English horn, and the clarinet and sax families), which is proving quite challenging, and I'm going to revisit piano, which I dabbled a little with in high school and college.

Animals, especially dogs. And when COVID is less of a concern, I'm going to find somewhere to be around and get to snuggle horses - with whom I have zero experience. Should be interesting.

Gardening and (slowly) designing our landscape, which I'm fairly new at. Learning a lot there!

Exercise, especially running and walking and (lighter) hiking.

Longevity and extension of "health-span," the science around which I've been interested in for a long time, and which I've tried (with only very limited success) to apply to how I live and eat.

Spending time in nature in general. I need fresh air, sun, wind, green spaces......

Performance and learning psychology. I'm fascinated by learning how to learn and develop skills better and apply that to my life, especially around playing my instruments, and how to teach that to potential students of various ages and stages. No one taught me how to properly practice or learn how to learn when I was a young musician; I often wonder where my career would have ended up if they had.

Psychology and sociology in general. I honestly don't like people very much in general - I much prefer animals - but I am fascinated by what they do and why they do it.

Reading informational (non-fiction) materials in general. I could easily read stuff all day long.

I hope you enjoy your time spent getting to know horses. I have 4 horses & I have to say that they are healing to my soul. Look into their eyes & be captured by their gentleness. Blow softly into their nostrils & they will return the "kiss". It is how horses greet each other.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
learned to make sourdough during quarantine =D

most of my hobbies are attempts at creative outlets: painting, drawing, writing, and i was taking jewelry making classes until COVID hit and the studios closed. learned some assembly and repair techniques that have come in handy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In December 2020 I cleaned out my closet. wow. It was a really scary experience. I made 2 trips to goodwill, throwing out some things that had tags. yes you heard me right..forgot they even existed. I was particularly brutal with the cleanout ...I was shocked that I had clothes that were...dusty. :oops2:

So I now don't buy it because dammit, I should be able to just make it if I want it bad enough. I thankfully have enough "work uniforms" for a while. making pants are scary.

So This is my year of discovery to sew at least 1 piece of clothing a month sometimes managing 2 or 3 pieces. They aren't terribly complicated, but seriously why am I wasting money for clothing of unknown origin again? I've done quite well, though I've had a couple of oopsies. In August I am slated for making pants based on a self drafted pattern. that is going to be eye opening. I pushed back the suit because mentally I wasn't there yet. Maybe once I get a toile of the pants I'll feel more prepared.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This little bundle of joy managed to jump onto the sofa unaided, and promptly claimed my usual spot as his own.

He is growing up fast!

Bean on the sofa.jpg

DK :kiss2:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope you enjoy your time spent getting to know horses. I have 4 horses & I have to say that they are healing to my soul. Look into their eyes & be captured by their gentleness. Blow softly into their nostrils & they will return the "kiss". It is how horses greet each other.

I really can't wait! :love:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In December 2020 I cleaned out my closet. wow. It was a really scary experience. I made 2 trips to goodwill, throwing out some things that had tags. yes you heard me right..forgot they even existed. I was particularly brutal with the cleanout ...I was shocked that I had clothes that were...dusty. :oops2:

So I now don't buy it because dammit, I should be able to just make it if I want it bad enough. I thankfully have enough "work uniforms" for a while. making pants are scary.

So This is my year of discovery to sew at least 1 piece of clothing a month sometimes managing 2 or 3 pieces. They aren't terribly complicated, but seriously why am I wasting money for clothing of unknown origin again? I've done quite well, though I've had a couple of oopsies. In August I am slated for making pants based on a self drafted pattern. that is going to be eye opening. I pushed back the suit because mentally I wasn't there yet. Maybe once I get a toile of the pants I'll feel more prepared.

I really admire you! I wish I could sew.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, we'll get there =)2, its just going to require some creativity.

We picked kiwico up from Mark Rober's youtube chanel. It's also quite good, if we're just too tired we watch him doing the experiments :lol-2: -- it's not the same but it's still fun to watch.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really admire you! I wish I could sew.

I learned the basics as a kid but never did anything super serious, and was really more of a utility sewist than anything. I think the pandemic renewed sewing for lots of people, and energized people who have never sewn before.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I made these rings the other day and thought they are gorgeous. Was supposed to entertain my kids but I was quite amazed too.

B4A639F6-BD1F-4450-B00E-03B3184196B5.jpeg 092090BA-5144-44C1-B73D-FA510B28D8F5.jpeg 408C9857-6FC1-4DCA-AE8B-EC05416B3D08.jpeg

And my kids also enjoyed the pipe cleaner spectacles, lollipop and other twisted creations. Definitely recommend for an hour or two of easy and relaxing craft time.

So that was one of the better days but it’s usually just surviving the working day/night plus home based learning and keeping my kids occupied these days. Unfortunately it’s usually far too much screen time for them since both my husband and I work and are stuck in numerous meetings during work hours.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@LLJsmom yanno this put a bug in my ear. I always see the bird watchers along my biking route....and I love bird watching. I just found my fav bird book and my binoculars my DH gifted me. I always stop and talk to the watchers to see what treasures they've come across! I am always surprised to see how many "young" people I meet who enjoy birds! (and they have great equipment.....)

cheers--Sharon

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve always knitted but weirdly stopped during the pandemic.
Still trying to sort out what’s going on with that because I miss it.
My go-to panacea (and also my career) is being an indoor cycling instructor and Lead Instructor at an premium elite franchise spin brand everyone knows.
So that takes up most (ok all) of my time.
PS- I love hearing everyone else’s jam, so cool!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the beginning of the pandemic I cooked a lot and tried baking which I had never done. Some sweets but mainly things like focaccia. Decided to change to something that would last longer so started learning more Italian. I’m bad with languages. Knew some Spanish and French and Italian but decided to try to actually get to the point of a real conversation. So working on it but I still stink at pronunciation.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Running! I signed up for a marathon in November- I figure it may be cancelled with COVID but it’s a good motivator for training. Due to work stress during the pandemic I worked out less and ate a lot of unhealthy convenience foods over the past year. I decided I can’t keep doing g that! I’ve been cooking more too, here’s one of my new faves, grilled peaches with an heirloom tomato salad, and I made a lentil veggie soup. F71E4FA0-EF36-44F8-9C12-5404367CAFF4.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@FL_runner, okay well that food looks amazing but my goodness those are gorgeous roses!

I haven’t tried grilled peaches but we went peach picking recently and I did sauté them in a little butter with some cinnamon for breakfast. Amazing!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lipstick and shoes :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results