shape
carat
color
clarity

WF purchase. Need for an independent appraisal?

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Just received my WF studs. Have those of you who have purchased from WF also obtained an independent appraisal? Since the studs are already mounted, I'm not certain that it is necessary. I haven't heard about anyone having problems with WF in terms of not receiving the diamond ordered, etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JLW05|1487362321|4130210 said:
Just received my WF studs. Have those of you who have purchased from WF also obtained an independent appraisal? Since the studs are already mounted, I'm not certain that it is necessary. I haven't heard about anyone having problems with WF in terms of not receiving the diamond ordered, etc.

Shouldnt be an issue but here is something you can do if you are worried about not receiving the correct stones...
Get a loupe and check that the inclusions in the stone match the AGS report (unless the stones are VVS or above then it might be
difficult).

Take them to a jeweler and just have them check that the AGS/GIA number on the stone matche the reports (may be a small
fee). You can also check to see if you can see the numbers yourself. I have bad eye sight so even though I can see that there
is something there I cant actually read the numbers...younger eyes would have a better chance though.

Edit...lots of people do get Independent Appraisals for insurance purposes though...

Edit...post some pics and specs in the SMTB forum...love the see them!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going to insure it, request an appraisal that is close to what you paid. It makes no sense to overinsure because it doesn't help in any way.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. Since the stones are already mounted, my gut feeling was that an independent appraisal wouldn't really give me much info other than to verify what I already know. My eyes are not what they used to be but with a loupe with a 60x magnifier with LED lighting I was just barely able to make out the laser inscriptions on the diamonds. I will insure for what I paid. I definitely do not want to over-insure. I will probably go with GemSafe and supposedly the policy guarantees that the insured is protected up to 25% above the replacement cost in the event the jewelry has increased in value.
I haven't posted photos yet because one diamond surprisingly has a bit more scintillation under most lighting conditions. It's not my imagination, my family can see it too. We've been playing which diamond is which all night with an extremely high accuracy rate. I spoke to WF earlier today and they were wonderful and will work with me so I can exchange the diamond if I so desire. I think when something is brand new and a lot of thought and time was devoted to the purchase, many of us tend to over analyze so I'm going to take a few days before I decide.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A independent appraisal is never a bad idea but it really is about your comfort level.
Make sure your insurance company lists it as a branded stone on the policy.
The added documentation is the biggest advantage of having one done by an appraiser who provides a comprehensive report.
In the event of a claim the more you can bury the insurance company in paper documenting your purchase the better.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JLW05|1487397193|4130408 said:
Thanks. Since the stones are already mounted, my gut feeling was that an independent appraisal wouldn't really give me much info other than to verify what I already know. My eyes are not what they used to be but with a loupe with a 60x magnifier with LED lighting I was just barely able to make out the laser inscriptions on the diamonds. I will insure for what I paid. I definitely do not want to over-insure. I will probably go with GemSafe and supposedly the policy guarantees that the insured is protected up to 25% above the replacement cost in the event the jewelry has increased in value.
I haven't posted photos yet because one diamond surprisingly has a bit more scintillation under most lighting conditions. It's not my imagination, my family can see it too. We've been playing which diamond is which all night with an extremely high accuracy rate. I spoke to WF earlier today and they were wonderful and will work with me so I can exchange the diamond if I so desire. I think when something is brand new and a lot of thought and time was devoted to the purchase, many of us tend to over analyze so I'm going to take a few days before I decide.

That's interesting...somebody had a post about a week or two ago where he was considering 2 stones. In the video one stone definitely
looked like it had a little more sparkle. I thought it would have a higher crown angle but I think it ended up having a lower crown
angle than the other stone he was looking at.

I'm curious as to what the crown angles are on your stone and which ones shows more scintillation?

Edit...never mind...I see you listed the numbers on the other thread...they are so similar it is surprising you can see a difference!

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very surprised too. However, we have no trouble picking out the "preferred" diamond although it is certainly not like the other one's a dog!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I have never had any diamonds from Whiteflash independently appraised. AGS's opinion is good enough for me! I insure with my sales receipt and a copy of the AGS reports.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had my WF purchases appraised. I trust them and my diamonds matches my AGS lab reports.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, IMO, waste of money. The diamonds are worth what you paid.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1487547055|4130912 said:
Nope, I have never had any diamonds from Whiteflash independently appraised. AGS's opinion is good enough for me! I insure with my sales receipt and a copy of the AGS reports.

Ditto this - I just insured my new stone with my sales receipt and AGS report as well. I did not feel the need for an independent appraisal of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results