shape
carat
color
clarity

wf cad HELP!

reedsar3

Rough_Rock
All,
I've been working with WF to create a custom design using this stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3699532.htmhttp

It is based on the inspirational design that my girlfriend likes: http://belviaggiodesigns.com/products/russian-brilliant-unique-engagement-ring-cushion-cut

She likes the original design, but doesn't know that I'm working with WF. To me, the design just seems bulky. I'm concerned that it will detract from the stone. I want to get the design that my girlfriend likes, while also accentuating the stone more. I've attached the CAD Any recommendations? I'm looking forward to recommendations!

wf_cad_sarah_reed__3_.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The head/ prongs are all wrong. The original is fluid and the WF version is clunky, too squared off, and look like a Transformer.

Ask to speak to Bryan. He'll make sure that it gets on the right track.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think the CAD captured the design, but not the proportions of the design relative to the center stone. The original is shown with a 2.5 c (8.5 mm) stone. So, I think the be in balance with the new center, the entire design needs to be slimmed down. What if they slim down the two twining bands and narrow the void spaces (aka make the 'braid' / infinity tighter)? That will help balance things. From the top on the inspiration, you only see less than 1/2 the width of the twining bands - but I think the full width is visible in the CAD.

Also, will your budget allow adding a halo (see below) to help with the proportions? This will allow the band to be wider and better retain the proportions of the inspiration (and may allow the non-pave bands to stay the same width as the pave band). In all the two and three band rings of this kind, the only time I saw the bands wider than the center stone was when they intended to frame the center stone. This CAD needs adjustment to achieve that to avoid overwhelming the center stone.

This has a similar size 'stone' and the bands are slimmer.
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=30443646&camp=PLA-GOO-CI_Rings-Rings-178863198243_category_Apparel_%26_Accessories_category_Jewelry_product_type_cat&allowpop=no&utm_source=pla&adpos=1o8&creative=97392747963&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuJu9BRDP_-HN9eXs1_UBEiQAlfW39ol2Gkqk6e5bNpjSQBvsks2Vd-1LagQalb1g9b0UM5gaAn4G8P8HAQ

Add a halo
addahalo.jpg
braidedshank.jpg
kirkkarapirouetta_0.jpg

Slim void spaces, slim down bands
braid.jpg
twist.jpg

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Petite-Twisted-Vine-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE1M54D-1152773/

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/twist-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_42403 (shown with .74 C stone) 74halotwist.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, why did you get her a princess? That's a cushion, and princesses face up very small. You would do better with a nice cushion. You can drop to H color without any issue and go up in size for proportionality. Plus princesses have those fragile corners.

I would not add a halo. Also what id your stone budget? The link to your stone doesnt work for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be the only time I recommend going with plain prongs on the corners of your princess instead of V prongs. I think the
prongs are distracting too much from the setting (even though they will be a lot smaller in real life). There is already a lot of metal
in your setting and V prongs seem to push it over the top. Make sure you insure your stone/ring and she doesnt wear it doing any
heavy work where it could get damaged.

I think WF has captured the setting pretty well in the CADS. Yes, it looks bulky but the original ring looks bulky IMO. I assume that's
what your GF like. I would just change the head to a basket with single prongs on the corner.

If you look on James Allen under the Inspiration Gallery/Princess cuts you will see lots of princess cut rings with single prongs.
I would probably have claw prongs like this one.

princess_with_single_prongs.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it she wants a princess cut? Because if not, I'd switch to a WF round stone for that setting. It would look better, I think. But if you stick with princess, I would definitely go with the v prongs on the corners. CADs are generally showing everything bulkier than it would be. I will say that you are extremely wise to be remaking the original ring, because it would almost be unwearable with the wide part at the base of the shank. I would just ask if they can reduce the scale of the shank part a little so it isn't so wide. A huge setting has the effect of making the center stone look smaller.

Was this her very favorite setting or were there other settings she liked? Just wondering.

reedsar3

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! Yes, she wants a princess cut and prefers lower color grades. Gypsy, the link must not work because the stone is reserved. It is a 1.02 F ACA princess cut. As for the design, she is convinced that she likes this one, even though she recognizes it is bulky. We have been to local places to get quotes for custom designs, but I would prefer a place such as WF where the quality and craftmanship are superb. Hopefully, they will have some ideas as to how to slim down the design! I'm going to talk with them about the head, slimming down the shank, and the prongs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
reedsar3|1470660002|4063504 said:
Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! Yes, she wants a princess cut and prefers lower color grades. Gypsy, the link must not work because the stone is reserved. It is a 1.02 F ACA princess cut. As for the design, she is convinced that she likes this one, even though she recognizes it is bulky. We have been to local places to get quotes for custom designs, but I would prefer a place such as WF where the quality and craftmanship are superb. Hopefully, they will have some ideas as to how to slim down the design! I'm going to talk with them about the head, slimming down the shank, and the prongs.

Please do not change the v prongs. Those are the best to protect your corners from chipping. Regular prongs just don't look right on stones with corners and definitely are not as safe.

Great choice of diamond! Just a FYI, F color is a high color. D-E-F is the highest color range (colorless).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results