shape
carat
color
clarity

WF ACA & Brilliantly Engaged: a(nother) success story

babadi

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I posted for advice a few times here as I went through the e-ring purchase process, so I figured I'd post a follow up.

After reading the countless posts here about the importance of cut, I decided to check out Whiteflash, who seemed like the most reasonably priced of the favorite vendors here. My now-fiancee was waffling between a princess cut and a round. I was waffling on the budget. And my fiancee wasn’t entirely sold either on making a big purchase online or on the need to spend more on an ACA when the diamonds she’d seen at the local stores in NYC all looked pretty nice to her. We got a lot of flak from our families for the idea of buying a diamond online. Everybody we know was trying to send us to some guy their friend’s sister went to who “was nice.”

I’m happy to corroborate the standard wisdom here that Whiteflash is a great company. I exchanged literally dozens of emails with them, primarily Becca but also Brittany and Vera and they were nothing but prompt, professional and extremely helpful at all times. We ended up deciding to have them ship a stone to a local appraiser before the purchase, which they quickly did. It was a round 1.657ct H VS2 ACA.

Seeing the stone in person definitely helped. I would say that looking at it in the appraiser’s office, I still don’t think she fully “got” the whole ideal cut thing — I think it looked perfectly nice to her, just like all others had. It also turned out to have faint fluorescence, which she wasn’t crazy about, and although neither of us is color sensitive, I was a little hung up on the H color. Still, she liked it a lot, knew that the cut thing mattered to me, and I think to a large extent she just wanted me to stop shopping and buy something already! So the decision was made.

From there, we needed a setting. I couldn’t get my fiancee on board with having Whiteflash set the stone — she needed to deal with someone in person who could physically show her samples of what she was getting. Of course, there are thousands of places in NYC that can sell you a setting to mount a diamond in, but I wanted to work with somebody reputable who could be entrusted with an ACA. Of course, many vendors will only work with their own stones, which makes things tricky. I ended up at another PriceScope-recommended vendor, Brilliantly Engaged.

We worked with Chris at BE. He patiently helped my now-fiancee sort through a hearty collection of samples and decide on a design she would like. I was a little concerned about what it’d cost go go custom — especially given that the design she wanted was fairly standard and similar to lots of pre-made settings out there. But the price Chris quoted was very reasonable, only a few hundred dollars more than I'd been quoted for a pre-made setting by others, and I believed I would get a better quality product from him compared to something that was mass-produced.

In the end, I think I was right, as Chris and BE did a terrific job for us. The renderings came as promised, and when I gave the OK, the ring was finished promptly. You can tell that the pave stones and the workmanship are excellent, and the appraiser was quite impressed with the product and with the price paid.

And I can’t quite explain it, but once the diamond was placed in this setting, it just came alive. The entire ring sparkles like a disco ball. The color is not an issue for us at all — even if we stare at it trying to focus on the color, we can’t do it because the sparkle is in the way! You can completely see the difference compared to an “ordinary” diamond or ring, and my fiancee is now very grateful that all the research I did — which drove her a bit crazy at the time — led me here to PriceScope and to these special vendors. She is showing that ring to everybody she runs into and telling them all about the hearts and arrows that were meaningless to her a few weeks ago.

For the newbies showing up here like me wondering if this stuff really matters or is really worth the extra effort: it is! Do your research, ask your questions here, and work with the right vendors. There’s something to be said for listening to the wisdom of one’s elders, but our parents bought their engagement rings 30 years ago, and we live in a different world today. We’re lucky to have access to so much more information than was available in years past, with grading reports and ASET images and the like. Take advantage of it!

Thanks to all for making this a great community.

IMG_2343.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your story! The ring looks beautiful but we are going to need a ton more pictures!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! The ring looks great. But yah we will need dozens more pics... just to be sure :kiss2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! And thank you for coming back to detail your experiences for the benefit of everyone :)

The ring is lovely! I'm pleased that you are both seeing just how good Ideal diamonds can look :))

May her friends be slightly jealous ;-) and you both enjoy it for many years to come!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your experience and story with us. The cut experts here are so amazing and generous with their time and energy and it’s so great that you took the time, did your due diligence and took advantage of the wisdom shared here. Well done!! So happy for you and your fiancé.

Please post many more pictures. We love seeing happy endings, and beginnings!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement!! It’s a gorgeous ring and I’m glad WF and BE made the experience great for you.

Q

Queenie60

Congratulations - wishing you many years of happiness. Your rings is beautiful.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous! Congrats on your engagement!! :appl:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful story! Really enjoyed that read. Would love to see more pictures!

I think there's a testimonials section on Pricescope as well if you essentially wanted to cut and paste this entry there as you've made lovely references here.

Congratulations! Your hard work has really paid off!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I can’t quite explain it, but once the diamond was placed in this setting, it just came alive. The entire ring sparkles like a disco ball.

You can completely see the difference compared to an “ordinary” diamond or ring, and my fiancee is now very grateful that all the research I did — which drove her a bit crazy at the time — led me here to PriceScope and to these special vendors.

She is showing that ring to everybody she runs into and telling them all about the hearts and arrows that were meaningless to her a few weeks ago.

For the newbies showing up here like me wondering if this stuff really matters or is really worth the extra effort: it is!

First off, thank you for coming back to share your story! I am so happy that you and your fiancee are thrilled with your decision and end product!! The ring looks absolutely amazing and it makes me smile to know your fiancee is now telling the story of how important a H&A stone is to her friends...that is just cool. :cool2:

Also, I hope you don't mind but I clipped down your original words and quoted for others that may be reading to pay attention to. It is often argued how these details don't matter. I'd argue just the opposite as I believe the devil is in the details in most things in life and especially in these shiny rocks.

Again, congratulations!!!

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! The setting looks great, and having a "one of a kind" ring really makes the experience worthwhile.

I think your story reinforces the importance of having your finance see the diamond(s) in person and have a curated experience alongside the extra legwork on your end to have the quantitative aspects nailed down.

Seeing a super-ideal in person kills any doubt on whether the super-ideal is worth the extra cost or not. I'm glad everything worked out for you so well!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one beautiful ring. Congratulations!

ACA Dia

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! A couple more pics attached. :)
IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Hi, I'm also looking for a pave setting like that. Can you tell me what BE quoted for that setting?
And the ring is just beauuutiful

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yaaaaaa!!! I love a happy story!!!!!! :appl::appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love happy endings and beautiful diamonds. Congratulations. The ring is gorgeous.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Congratulations!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@babadi Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on a great choice!! :appl: I'm SOOO glad you took the time to do some research and make an excellent choice. I can't wait till she goes back into a jewelry shop and compares her superlative stone to the average stones she thought were beautiful before...it is a fun experience.... :twisted2:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the gorgeous diamond and ring and engagement!

What a stunning ring! :appl::love:

I sincerely believe the super idea thing is worth it ... really worth it ...

I’m so glad you found the forum and see the benefit of these details! I do too, and like so many, I came really close to buying before learning ... no not really true, I bought GIA XXX studs just before PS ... one is very nice the other not as much ... the difference is visible and each cost the same ... performance coincides with HCA score (1.3 and 3.5). Now I have to decide if doubling the cost is worth it to get nicer ones. Aren’t you glad that didn’t happen to you?

Yay!!!! Again, congratulations!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results