shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

dmack

Shiny_Rock
That is reassuring to hear they think it’s okay..I hope my health department doesn’t cut it to too close and I wind up getting it past 42 days..I would be inconsolable..haha
I thought there were recent treatments for Covid that worked. That’s definitely scary..

If it’s ok for me to chime in, I’m happy to give my take. I’m a full-time public health researcher. Vaccines aren’t my specialty, but I’m fluent in the study designs and statistical techniques used to determine efficacy.

I would not worry about delaying the Moderna dose a few weeks after the 28 day period. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have high efficacy after even one dose. Everyone where I am is being told it’s best to get two doses but not to worry if you have to delay the second dose.

So, we know that in the short term, even after one dose, you are very protected against symptomatic and sever COVID. After two shots, you’re even more protected. What we don’t know is how long that protection lasts. Is it possible that people who only get one dose lose immunity more quickly than people who get two doses? Maybe - we don’t have long enough follow up data to tell us one way or the other.

What I do know is that there is enough promise of one-dose efficacy that people are starting to mode out the “what ifs” of alternate dosing schedules. If vaccine supply remains scarce, our governments may determine that it’s better for all of us to be somewhat protected than a small portion of us to be fully protected and the rest not at all protected. Lots of who-knows here, but it’s al moving in the right direction. And there are more vaccines in the pipeline, so I anticipate scarcity is going to continue to decrease.

Re: treatments, yeah, we don’t really have anything new. The tools in the toolbox are the same ones we’ve had for years, we’ve just learned a lot over the past year about which tools work best when. In the hospitals I work with, the mortality rate has improved because they’re now smarter about treatment, which is great - but it’s still scary high.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it’s ok for me to chime in, I’m happy to give my take. I’m a full-time public health researcher. Vaccines aren’t my specialty, but I’m fluent in the study designs and statistical techniques used to determine efficacy.

I would not worry about delaying the Moderna dose a few weeks after the 28 day period. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have high efficacy after even one dose. Everyone where I am is being told it’s best to get two doses but not to worry if you have to delay the second dose.

So, we know that in the short term, even after one dose, you are very protected against symptomatic and sever COVID. After two shots, you’re even more protected. What we don’t know is how long that protection lasts. Is it possible that people who only get one dose lose immunity more quickly than people who get two doses? Maybe - we don’t have long enough follow up data to tell us one way or the other.

What I do know is that there is enough promise of one-dose efficacy that people are starting to mode out the “what ifs” of alternate dosing schedules. If vaccine supply remains scarce, our governments may determine that it’s better for all of us to be somewhat protected than a small portion of us to be fully protected and the rest not at all protected. Lots of who-knows here, but it’s al moving in the right direction. And there are more vaccines in the pipeline, so I anticipate scarcity is going to continue to decrease.

Re: treatments, yeah, we don’t really have anything new. The tools in the toolbox are the same ones we’ve had for years, we’ve just learned a lot over the past year about which tools work best when. In the hospitals I work with, the mortality rate has improved because they’re now smarter about treatment, which is great - but it’s still scary high.

@dmack Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this question. I’m starting to feel more at ease about the delay of my second vaccine. We’ve had so many cancellations because of snow that they are already backed up. Now there’s a second dose shortage in Pa because second doses were mistakenly
given as first doses. The whole thing has been nerve wracking.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
@MakingTheGrade @m-cubed I would love to know your feelings about delaying the second Moderna vaccines up to 42 days..

Hi there! Well, there’s not much data. What we have is what was tested in the trials, i.e. 3 wk timing for Pfizer and 4 wk timing for Moderna. The good news is that the first dose gives you good immunity starting within about 10-14 days, in most people. The second dose is designed to boost that response and hopefully make it last longer. Ideally, everyone would get their doses at the timing tested in the trial. But that won’t happen in real life, for lots of reasons, and the longer window is not likely to be an issue in most people.
There was a recent paper that showed people with previous COVID infection developed a strong and rapid immune response to one dose of vaccine. Interpreting that a bit, those infections were varying lengths of time in the past prior to vaccination. But the response was strong in all cases. That, plus our experience with other vaccines makes me say a somewhat later booster is probably just as effective. You should continue to be careful while you are waiting for your booster (and really even after you are fully vaccinated and we’re at herd immunity), but I wouldn’t worry too much.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t been keeping up much with this thread in the last week or two, but I am excited to report I got my first vaccine dose today! Had to drive more than 4 hours round trip to do it, but it was worth it to me.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
@dmack Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this question. I’m starting to feel more at ease about the delay of my second vaccine. We’ve had so many cancellations because of snow that they are already backed up. Now there’s a second dose shortage in Pa because second doses were mistakenly
given as first doses. The whole thing has been nerve wracking.

Ah, we’re in the same state! Yes, the weather has added unnecessary stress. Not cool, February! My friend spent days getting her parent an appointment and then we were predicted to have terrible weather the day of. She was so nervous. Thankfully, driving conditions were fine and all went as planned. But, ugh.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in the UK, we’re not expecting to get our second dose before 12 weeks. So far research from Israel is showing such good results after 1 dose, that we’re not worried about the wait. Our Govt is going for the ‘get as many people as possible vaccinated, then get the second dose. They’re anticipating that all adults will have been vaccinated by the end of June.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with mcubed and dmack. We only have the data we have, so we can’t “prove” it’s ok so to speak but based on what we have I’d say the wait is fine. And protection from one dose is pretty darn good.

Kind of unrelated but I feel I need to rant. Recently I’ve been getting a bit frustrated with people saying “well we have no proof that...”. While in an ideal world we could have evidence base and proof for all decisions, sometimes that’s just not pragmatically possible. And not having proof of something being true doesn’t mean we have proof that it’s untrue. It just means we have to rely on expert opinion based on information available and similar data. I remember when this all started having this argument with people about masks and “there’s no proof masks work” etc.

I’m not trying to discourage skepticism or demand for scientific inquiry. Just recognition that sometimes we need to act quickly and the scientists trying to guide the conversations and encourage actions generally aren’t trying to scam people. Just trying to do the most good with what information we have in a way that prevents as much harm as possible in real time. So for example while it’s true we have no “proof” that mRNA vaccines won’t turn me into a shark with legs in 50 years, I’m going to go ahead and say I’m not worried about it and I’m glad I got vaccinated!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, we’re in the same state! Yes, the weather has added unnecessary stress. Not cool, February! My friend spent days getting her parent an appointment and then we were predicted to have terrible weather the day of. She was so nervous. Thankfully, driving conditions were fine and all went as planned. But, ugh.
@dmack Pennsylvania is a beautiful state...I love it here...I’m just not happy with the distribution of the vaccines here... I don’t know why they can’t relabel the first doses that are coming into second doses and finish up the people that need it on day 28. Our health department cancelled so many appointments I fear that if they schedule my second one too close to the 42nd day...there could be snow and they will have to push the appointment over 42 days..
I‘m happy your friend’s parents were able to get their vaccine. I understand how nervous she was for them.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @MakingTheGrade and @dmack for weighing in on the vaccine’s effectiveness after the first dose and for your opinions on the vaccine in general.

@MamaBee, The handling of the vaccine distribution has been frustrating in the state I live in too. They have received very limited amounts of the vaccine since the beginning in the state. I’m sending lots of healing dust to your mom. Please be kind to yourself. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. It’s a hard situation. Hugs, Callie

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @m-cubed Yay for getting your shot! We had to drive two hours each way for my husband and son to get theirs. Totally worth it! I just read your longer answer...I read from the bottom up..lol Thank you again for your thoughts...That makes tons of sense about having covid at different times and still getting a strong response to the shot.
Thank you @MakingTheGrade I agree with everything you said. That’s why I always felt bad when Dr. Fauci would get bashed for changing his opinion. Everyone has been making decisions on what they know at that point in time. I was curious to see if your colleagues were talking about the delay..and what their thoughts are. I was thinking more of an educated gut feeling..
@Calliecake..Thank you..I just made arrangements for my mom to be transferred to a nice place the third week in March. She will be closer to my home...The director said I could get covid tests with her staff so I can visit her when she’s there. The place that she is in now doesn’t know she will be leaving them. I’ll let them know two weeks before..I hope I have hair by the time she’s settled. I’ve been pulling mine out..hahaha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two Pfizers. Woot woot. Now I have what, 12 hours to get as much work done as I can before a deluge of symptoms will start hitting me? :lol::(

Hopefully! That would mean a strong immune system! :lol:My immune system is old so praying for a punch or two!:bigsmile:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @m-cubed Yay for getting your shot! We had to drive two hours each way for my husband and son to get theirs. Totally worth it! I just read your longer answer...I read from the bottom up..lol Thank you again for your thoughts...That makes tons of sense about having covid at different times and still getting a strong response to the shot.
Thank you @MakingTheGrade I agree with everything you said. That’s why I always felt bad when Dr. Fauci would get bashed for changing his opinion. Everyone has been making decisions on what they know at that point in time. I was curious to see if your colleagues were talking about the delay..and what their thoughts are. I was thinking more of an educated gut feeling..
@Calliecake..Thank you..I just made arrangements for my mom to be transferred to a nice place the third week in March. She will be closer to my home...The director said I could get covid tests with her staff so I can visit her when she’s there. The place that she is in now doesn’t know she will be leaving them. I’ll let them know two weeks before..I hope I have hair by the time she’s settled. I’ve been pulling mine out..hahaha

@MamaBee , I’m so glad you were able to find a nice place you are comfortable with near your home. You will be able to see her often. What a huge relief this must be for you. Thank goodness you both will be fully vaccinated soon. You’ve got this J.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today and have been scheduled for the 2nd dose.
No local irritation yet (I expect the injection site may be sore later, though) and no other side effects.

Connecticut has just announced that they are going to roll out the vaccine by age categories rather than other criteria. However educators and professional childcare providers will have their own, dedicated clinic in March.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee , I’m so glad you were able to find a nice place you are comfortable with near your home. You will be able to see her often. What a huge relief this must be for you. Thank goodness you both will be fully vaccinated soon. You’ve got this J.

Thank you @Calliecake I will be happy when she’s there and settled. The place she is in now is okay but not the best fit for her. I do feel better she will be ten minutes away..

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received my second Moderna vaccination two and a half hours ago and the injection site is itchy, that started two hours ago. Other colleagues ended up with a day and a half's worth of symptoms that necessitated taking a day off from work. Not looking forward to what may come my way, I tend to be sensitive to medications and vaccinations in general (flu).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m fully vaccinated. Just in time. My fiancé just tested positive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m fully vaccinated. Just in time. My fiancé just tested positive.

Oy I am sorry @Tacori E-ring, sending you and your FI many good wishes and bucketloads of healing dust.

I received my second Moderna vaccination two and a half hours ago and the injection site is itchy, that started two hours ago. Other colleagues ended up with a day and a half's worth of symptoms that necessitated taking a day off from work. Not looking forward to what may come my way, I tend to be sensitive to medications and vaccinations in general (flu).

Good luck @DAF I hope you experience very minimal side effects. Congrats on getting fully vaccinated.

Oh balls. Not even 8 hours have passed and I'm already getting aches and chills. Nooooo!

Oh no, but yay for getting fully vaccinated...I hope you are feeling much better soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And we just got called a little while ago to get our first dose woohoo. On our way now for Moderna.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results